300wm rifle scope

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
I have a 300wm with a nightforce nx8 4-32x on it. getting the itch to swap the scope out. Looking for ideas.
Needs to be tough, for horseback travel, utv/atv and overseas .
like it to be lighter,
needs to have good light transmission.
I like to be able to dial it up for shots out to 700yards. Even though I wont shoot at game past 500.
leaning towards a Leupold 4-14 cds /zl but throw some ideas at me.

Does the Leupold have exposed turrets? based on your comments I would look for something that did not have exposed turrets to ensure you are not accidently winding the turrets during horseback or ATV travel. I understand you want to dial it in but maybe a ballistic reticle scope is a good idea. I really like the 300 WM but I'm not a fan of too much magnification in hunting scopes.

I could defiantly spend your money, I pretty much only use Swarovski so it would be a Z6 1.7-10 x 42 or the equivalent Z8i scope, that's what I use on my Blaser R8 300WM barrel.

Does the Leupold have exposed turrets? based on your comments I would look for something that did not have exposed turrets to ensure you are not accidently winding the turrets. I really like the 300 WM but I'm not a fan of too much magnification in hunting scopes.

I could defiantly spend your money, I pretty much only use Swarovski so it would be a Z6 1.7-10 x 42 or the equivalent Z8i scope, that's what I use on my Blaser R8 300WM barrel.
The leupold turret locks at a zero setting. push a button then crank it up.

I have a 2-10x Leupold on my .300 Wby. 2x for brush and 10x will handle out to 500 yds if needed. It has the CDS system for quick changes for the longer ranges. Since you specify 700 yds as a max, a 3-15x may be right up your alley.

The leupold turret locks at a zero setting. push a button then crank it up.
Sounds like that works for you and they look a lot less cost than my suggestion! I'm a little old fashioned and work on holdover or ballistic reticule.

The Leupold looks nice and compact, I see the turret locking buttons on their more expensive range. Great feature.

Last edited:
I'd second the love for Leupold.

My 300 H&H wears a Leupold 3-15 with a 44mm objective. I've been very happy with it, and I've found it's a great magnification range to get the most from a 300 magnum rifle at distance while not being excessive. At 19-20 oz (if you go with the illuminated reticle - which I did) it will also be about 10oz lighter than the Nightforce.

I have replaced all of my scopes to leupold CDS z-lock models of some sort. My favorite is the vx6hd 2-12. Perfect size and magnification to do almost anything. I have a 2-10 vx5 in my 9.3x62 and love it. My 300win mag has a 3-18 thou, and have shot deer out to 560yds with it. Low light they do amazingly well. You can shoot well past legal shooting light which is 30 min after sunset. I had Swarovski 4-12 on several rifles until I was convinced to try a vx5HD. I compared them side to side in low light, and the leupold gave up nothing to the Swarovski 4-12, but the 4-12 only has 1” tube. The CDS on top is so easy i use it on everything now. I don’t know how the leupolds stack up in low light to a top end Swarovski with a 30mm tube, but since I can see to shoot or identify anything out so far past legal shooting light it isn’t funny now, I don’t know it matters

Look into the Bushnell LRHS2 4.5-18x44. 27oz with a nice useable reticle and under $1,000. Better reputation for reliability than the similar Leupold offerings (Mark 5hd), much better price point, but slight weight penalty. Its FFP so not sure if that's a deal breaker for you. Personally, I vastly prefer FFP to SFP.

Another thought, would be a Vortex Razor LHT. I've mounted several of them over the past year or so. Exposed turret, illuminated reticle that isn't too busy. They weigh about the same as the Leupold. They make a 3-15x42mm that weighs 19 oz and a 4.5-22x50mm that weighs about 22 oz. I'm not a particular fan of Vortex but these seem to be setup very nicely for a hunting weight rifle. Just another option.

crossone

Another vote for Leupold. I have 2, 300WM's and both have Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44mm on them. One has the Fire Dot reticle and the other has the Windplex. I think 44mm is about where I'd be if you're considerate of weight. Those scopes are easily 500 yd or more platforms with the right shooter. My humble opinion: Anything bigger than 44mm or so you will start tacking on some weight.

As for light transmission: I was foot stalking warthogs at dark in RSA in May of 2023 with my PH. We came upon a male that may have been a shooter at 200 yds off. I checked him out through the scope. It was almost completely dark. Through the scope it basically rolled it back to dusk. The guide took a look through the scope as well and was shocked at how good the light gathering was. He wasn't a shooter but we were able to tell that through the scope at basically dark.

I haven't shot anything farther than 150yds with them yet and it felt like cheating with those scopes.

What's the reason for wanting to swap it out?
I run the NX8 2.5-20x50 on my 300Win.
Couple different reasons. I am running a 4-32x.
It’s great on the range.
I found out for me hunting last year. It does not have the light gathering I would like. Looking at animals at dusk I could not make shots that I feel I could of made with some of my lower power scopes.
The nx8 is a great scope, I just do not think it makes a ideal hunting scope for me.
I also feel like the field of view could be better. It’s pretty decent at 4 power but narrows quickly.
And I just do not need a 30x scope for hunting.
If I can save some weight. That’s a bonus.
I am looking for about a 15x max power.
Locking or zero stop turret and really good light gathering/ clear glass

Zeiss v6 3-18 is about perfect.
Leupold vx5 or 6 in the similar power range is awesome too.

These are awesome modern hunting scopes.

I think anything over a 10x or 12x really isn’t necessary.
I agree completely! All my 30-06 and 308 stop at 10x But with today’s magnification ranges and light weight scopes 18x on a 300 win some will find useful on 500 yard shots for sheep and pronghorn. While still being able to dial down to 3 for whitetail in the woods.

I have a 300wm with a nightforce nx8 4-32x on it. getting the itch to swap the scope out. Looking for ideas.
Needs to be tough, for horseback travel, utv/atv and overseas .
like it to be lighter,
needs to have good light transmission.
I like to be able to dial it up for shots out to 700yards. Even though I wont shoot at game past 500.
leaning towards a Leupold 4-14 cds /zl but throw some ideas at me.
You are going backwards in reliability department, IMHO. I would give up 5 mins of shooting light to know my bullet will impact what I dial.

If you have a friend that has a scope you are interested in. Invite him over for a beer and ask him to bring said scope. When the sun starts setting start comparing scopes.

If you want a scope that is going to gather light. Schmidt and Bender 4-16x56 Polar T96 my .02

I've been running a swaro z5 on one of my .300wm for several years. So far has been great. Easy to set up for different bullet weights. Velocity. Etc

I had a Leupold on my 300 Win. Mag. The only time it was ever off was when a "somebody" dropped the rifle/scope directly on the door frame of my 4X4. It went everywhere, horseback included, never had a problem in years of guiding and hunting on my own in the mountains and sagebrush flats of northern New Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.