.416 swift a frame penetration test

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
400gr swift A frame made it to the 7th jug which was mostly frozen and stopped at 100yds. Expanded to .78"

20210318_185008.jpg
20210318_185014.jpg
20210318_185016.jpg
20210318_171038.jpg
20210318_171050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Impressive, although not at all surprising results.

What impresses me more than 7 jugs.. is the fact that the bullet maintained straight line penetration for that distance through varying matter (thin plastic, water, ice, etc).. many bullets would have veered off course over that length of varying matter..

If I werent sold on Barnes TTSX / TSX for everything, and already sitting on close to 2000 barnes projectiles in various calibers.. I'd likely re-brand myself an A-Frame man :)

Impressive, although not at all surprising results.

What impresses me more than 7 jugs.. is the fact that the bullet maintained straight line penetration for that distance through varying matter (thin plastic, water, ice, etc).. many bullets would have veered off course over that length of varying matter..

If I werent sold on Barnes TTSX / TSX for everything, and already sitting on close to 2000 barnes projectiles in various calibers.. I'd likely re-brand myself an A-Frame man :)
Yea each of those jugs had some amount of ice in them before we filled them. Had ice in the bottoms of them to keep them from blowing off the porch in the wind. So I'm not sure on the exact amount of ice contact before the last jug. I had a video or two but couldnt post them

Were you using factory or Handloaded Ammo? I purchased a 416 Remington Mag several months back and am looking for "recipes" if you don't mind sharing.

Within the last two years I have moved to swift for all of my calibers except 6.5 creedmoor. Sierra game kings just shoot too damn accurate to change. The thing I realized after spending way too much time on this and other forums is that I cannot recall a time when someone reported a swift a-frame failure. Personally, I have seen Hornady, woodleigh and Barnes all fail to some degree. Thus I made my way to swift. Thanks for the report on the test.

It would be interesting to see how many jugs would be penetrated using the Barnes banded solid!

A-Frames are good expanding bullets no doubt. I've had good results using them.

For the test to have validity, it needs a baseline for comparison and the media needs to be consistent for each test. I'd suggest all jugs be the same, all water and none with any ice makes the most sense. So if you do the same test comparing to a regular non-bonded cup and core and a monolithic solid and maybe a FMJ spire point you can truly compare each. With a consistent media, 6 mos from now or 6 years from now you or someone else 8000 miles away can easily duplicate the test with the same media but with a different bullet or a different variable like velocity and a meaningful comparison can be made.

Doing the same test in the same media with a few different bullets would be useful. You might try both a flat point monolithic solid bullet and a regular non-bonded cup and core expanding like a Hornady Interlock, both of same diameter and weight and at the same velocity. The problem with comparing all three will be duplicating the variable media you used with the A-Frame in the first test- the unknown mix of ice and water. Which demonstrates the importance of control of variables for such tests.

And even though we really don't use FMJ spire points for hunting, comparing the bullet track and penetration of the FMJ spire point to a good hunting bullet like the A-Frame or FP monolithic can also be enlightening. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boziebean

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg