Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
It's been awhile since anyone posted a good "how to, where to" for Nilgai. Would like to combine some hog hunting. Ready to go for this year. Any current recommendations? Thanks............FWB

Likely get several recommendations here but if not go over to the Texas hunting forum and look in their exotics forum. It has a few hunt reports but several requests like yours. The answers there should get you going.
Bruce

Lomas Chicas Outfitters owned by Sam Isle. They guide free range on the Kennedy ranch south of Sarita TX. They are a first class operation and offer spot and stalk hunts. Their bull hunts are 3 days. They also offer cow hunts. I wrote up a hunt report from last year. I believe others here have hunted with them.

I've taken two nilgai in extreme south Texas, on a private ranch. I think a nilgai hunt is the closest thing to an African PG hunt. The meat from a nilgai is also excellent. Bring a 300 WM or 338 WM.

A couple places I know about, where friends have hunted, are:

1714745434376.png

I have been wanting to do one of these hunts for a long time. Question for those that have hunted nilgai. Are they really that tough? You talk to any of the guides, and they talk like a nilgai is wearing Level lV body armor. I always ask how much "tougher" they are than similar size African plains game and the standard response is "You hunted Africa? You should have no problem".

Do they get their tough reputation because of poor shooting, improper bullet placement (most deer hunters insist on shooting everything behind the shoulder) or improper bullets? Or are they similar to a wildebeest and too stubborn to cooperate and die without taking you on a tour of the property? :LOL:

I am asking this because Mama wants to hunt one as well and would prefer to use her 275 or a 30-06. She has killed several gemsbok and zebra with those calibers as well as kudu, sable and wildebeest. All with one shot except for the wildebeest.

Safe hunting

I have been wanting to do one of these hunts for a long time. Question for those that have hunted nilgai. Are they really that tough? You talk to any of the guides, and they talk like a nilgai is wearing Level lV body armor. I always ask how much "tougher" they are than similar size African plains game and the standard response is "You hunted Africa? You should have no problem".

Do they get their tough reputation because of poor shooting, improper bullet placement (most deer hunters insist on shooting everything behind the shoulder) or improper bullets? Or are they similar to a wildebeest and too stubborn to cooperate and die without taking you on a tour of the property? :LOL:

I am asking this because Mama wants to hunt one as well and would prefer to use her 275 or a 30-06. She has killed several gemsbok and zebra with those calibers as well as kudu, sable and wildebeest. All with one shot except for the wildebeest.

Safe hunting
Two we have taken, one was a neck shot with a 6.5CM, the other was a heart shot with a 300WM. Animals have something we cannot measure, that is the will to live. Some are dead, you just have to convince them of it.

IMHO a 30-06 with a well constructed bullet will get the job done. Like anything else, shot placement is key.

You can also book with the King Ranch directly Via their website. Nilgai are a fun hunt to spot and stalk. They are a tough and big animal but placement and bullet construction are key. Similar to African game the vitals are more forward and covered by the shoulder area And hide is thick.

Safe hunting
Nilgai have what is called a dermal shield which is essentially thick hide and cartilage to protect their vital organs from fighting with their horns. They are tough animals but like anything, bullet construction and shot placement are paramount. Randy brooks of Barnes bullets tested his early X and TSX bullets on Nilgai for penetration. Like most African game, their vitals are forward in the chest cavity behind the shoulder, so your bullet needs to be Able to break the shoulders in a broad side shot. I’ve witnessed both a 7mm rem mag with 150 grain TTSX and 300 Norma with 208 LRX cleanly take Nilgai. The key is to keep your shots at reasonable ranges. It’s easy for people to snipe at them in open country. I would think a .270 or 30-06 with a monolithic bullet would be a safe minimum if she is comfortable with the rifle.

Safe hunting
Many say the same about African game. Like most African and Asian antelope, the heart lung area is somewhat more forward than a deer. Hit a nilgai or blue wildebeest just a hair too far back or high behind the shoulder, and he can go a very long way. Nor will there be a San tracker at the ready to follow him for a mile or more. Always keep hitting him until he is down.

Avoid the outfitters offering thermal night hunts. It is perfectly legal, but you are depriving yourself of a great spot and stalk opportunity at one of our really interesting game animals. They also are a far different “challenge” behind a game fence. King Ranch is a great place to hunt them.

Last edited:
We hunted them on King ranch. They are really tough. I smashed the heart on this one with a 200 grain 7mm at 3000 fps at about 140 yards…and he spun and left like I had missed. We searched a long time and he had fallen in a little hole and we thought we lost him. He left no blood trail and there was no exit. My friend lost his hard hit nilgai the same day. We never found it. I shot from sticks and would say get to a rest if you can and be sure to listen the guide’s advice on shot placement. They are NOT built like our deer. I would not take a moving shot on an unwounded nilgai. You’ve been warned.

IMG_9497.jpeg

Thanks to everyone or sharing your experiences. You all pretty much confirmed my thoughts. Mama will use my Highland Stalker in 30-06 with a 180gr Barnes TTSX. She has dropped a lot of game with one shot using that combo. I will use my 416 Rigby because I can. :LOL: Bullet will be a 400gr Barnes or North Fork bullet.

Safe hunting

There ya go...having been once and seen 2 hit...my next time would be with 375 or 416. Not required but I would want to chop a big freaking hole in one. Tough animals.

Thanks to everyone or sharing your experiences. You all pretty much confirmed my thoughts. Mama will use my Highland Stalker in 30-06 with a 180gr Barnes TTSX. She has dropped a lot of game with one shot using that combo. I will use my 416 Rigby because I can. :LOL: Bullet will be a 400gr Barnes or North Fork bullet.

Safe hunting

Double check wherever you book your nilgai hunt. A lot of places have a 300 WM as a minimum requirement. If your wife doesn't like going over a 30-06, consider a reduced load in a larger caliber or a suppressed rifle. My daughter fires 7mm RM with hot loads and suppressed and it's half the normal recoil and report. A good bullet, such as Swift A Frame, is also recommended.

We hunted them on King ranch. They are really tough. I smashed the heart on this one with a 200 grain 7mm at 3000 fps at about 140 yards…and he spun and left like I had missed. We searched a long time and he had fallen in a little hole and we thought we lost him. He left no blood trail and there was no exit. My friend lost his hard hit nilgai the same day. We never found it. I shot from sticks and would say get to a rest if you can and be sure to listen the guide’s advice on shot placement. They are NOT built like our deer. I would not take a moving shot on an unwounded nilgai. You’ve been warned.

View attachment 603357
@Green Chile
Where do you get 200gn 7mm projectiles. They would require one fast twist rate to stabilise.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boziebean

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg