6.5 for the largest game

112Savage

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I wanted to share some info on a not well known bullet.
This is a 6.5mm Hornady 140cx this bullet is marketed in hornady’s TAP (Law Enforcement) line and in Europe as the ECX. I got them from midway as a “second” bullet. They are terrifically accurate. I have only killed one doe whitetail with this bullet. 220yd shot very slight quartering away. I hit slightly forward and had a long but easy to follow blood trail.

6.5 Creedmoor Tikka T3x lite shortened to 20”
Suppressor: Banish Backcountry
Brass: Hornady
Primer: CCI 250
Powder: Hodgdon Superformance
Muzzle velocity: 2669fps
Target: milk jugs 350 yds
Impact velocity: 1774fps
Penetration: 6 milk jugs and cracked the 7th
Expansion: 0.491” avg (1.86X)
IMG_0094.jpeg
IMG_0093.jpeg

Last edited:
The setup 350yds 9 milk jugs.

As a side note, this bullet was recommended to me by Joseph Von Benedikt when I asked him about an elk bullet for a 264 Win Mag. I think with 200+ more FPS this thing would be amazing. I will say the wind does catch it pretty hard due to the low BC. I had a 4mph cross wind today and it resulted in about 0.75MOA drift at 350yds
IMG_0092.jpeg
IMG_0091.jpeg

Last edited:
That looks very nice. I just got some 150gr for the 7mm's and will be doing some initial loads to find pressure with them this week. They are a pretty long bullet.

"Penetration: 6 milk jugs and cracked the 7th"
Excellent penetration. Enough for the largest game in my opinion.

You couldn't ask for a more perfect bullet expansion. 6.5(s) have been "punching" way above their weight for over 130 years. My Swedes all have a little longer barrel, but I get 2775 FPS from them pushing a 140 Gr. pill.

6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer "did the elephant" since 1903.
So nothing new under the sun.
..... does not mean it is a cartridge, recommended for the largest game.
But every year young hunters come with old ideas....

HWL

I prefer the CX over the Barnes and use it if it available in the caliber.

Yes, HWL, and it is ONLY deadly in all circumstances for the largest game if it is fired from a 1903 Mannlicher--that's well known! (tongue firmly in cheek). Same bullet at the same speed in a Creedmore, well....tsk, tsk.

Last edited:
6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer "did the elephant" since 1903.
So nothing new under the sun.
..... does not mean it is a cartridge, recommended for the largest game.
But every year young hunters come with old ideas....

HWL
MS Bell Brain Shot 01.jpg

W.D.M. Bell's precise shot placement for elephant.

I would not advocate for the6.5mm CX’s use on dangerous game just wanted to showcase expansion and penetration of a lesser known option at what most would consider low speed for a monometal bullet. A milk jug is almost 6” across. 6x6”=36” of penetration including plastic which is about as thick/resistant as upper scapulas and thin ribs. Water is also more dense and resistant than lung, liver, and some muscle tissue. I feel like this bullet could work well for animals up to 1000 pounds. The bigger question is, would a larger caliber work better in those instances. I would say almost universally yes. If you just HAD to use your 6.5(xxx) on a large animal I think this bullet would reach the vitals and result in a dead animal.

More animal testing to come. My big question now is how quickly they will cause death or how long the blood trails will be

The thread title caught my attention. I've been knocking down 2 cow elk for a number of seasons using the 6.5 Creedmoor. I use the CM as my in-the-field test platform, because these days, when a bullet offering is introduced, it is invariably offered in 6.5mm as well.

In the parts of the West where I hunt, mature cow elk live weight usually top out between 400 lbs - 500 lbs. My general rule-of-thumb is when live weight gets much past 300 lbs, I then switch from cup-n-core to bonded bullets.

Last season I used the 143 gr. Norma BondStrike on 2 cow elk with great results, deliberately targeting big bone on broadside shots. They worked great, but also exited from an average MV of 2,751 fps from a 22-inch barrel. This season I hope to get at least one head-on, chest shot with the goal of retrieving the bullet.

Oh, why 2 cow elk? I have family members that no longer can climb the elk hills, but still like their elk roast dinners. They pay the freight on one elk and split it amongst themselves, and I get to do more testing.

Looking forward to using the 180 gr. BondStrike on a number of larger plainsgame in the near future...

Last edited:
Well, got out to the range today. They did fine in the 8.5 twist barrel, not too impressive with 9.5 twist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElkeMaskel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!