First trip to Africa and 1st International Hunt

Justin D.

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm headed to South Africa in August 2025 with Reinier Linde of Legelela Safaris. I've never been to Africa and it will be my first hunt. The main thing we're targeting is waterfowl as I'm attempting to complete the Ultimate Waterfowlers International Challenge which requires a minimum of 3 different species from the 6 different continents (15 available in Africa and hoping to get one of each). Africa will be our first of many trips. That said, we'll also be hunting for some plains game while we're there should they present themselves. My wife and I are hoping to get a Kudu, Sable, Eland, Gemsbok, and Nyala. If the opportunity presents itself, we'll take a red hartebeest and Black Impala as well. Rifles we'll be taking are a 30-06, .300 Win Mag, and .375 H&H.

I can't wait for our first hunt. That said, any advice anyone can give to the "wish I knew now what I didn't know then" for your first trip?

Last edited:
That’s a pretty ambitious trip and goal! I’m an avid waterfowler and never thought of duck hunting in Asia. Might want to hurry and hunt Australia, they have been trying to shut down waterfowl hunting for a while. I’m going to hunt birds in Limpopo next year, not sure what yet I’ll just hunt what is in season in August.

What part of Virginia are you in?

Good luck!

Welcome, only advice is pack less than you think you need and practice shooting off sticks if you haven’t already.

That’s a pretty ambitious trip and goal! I’m an avid waterfowler and never thought of duck hunting in Asia. Might want to hurry and hunt Australia, they have been trying to shut down waterfowl hunting for a while. I’m going to hunt birds in Limpopo next year, not sure what yet I’ll just hunt what is in season in August.

What part of Virginia are you in?

Good luck!
We're probably going to stay out of Australia proper and go to New Zealand. Eventually we'll hit Peru as well and haven't figured out Europe or Asia yet.

As for Virginia, I'm in the Northern part unfortunately. About 30 minutes outside of DC.

Had a good friend that lived in Leesburg and I lived in Front Royal for a summer. Both of my parents are from Virginia, dad from Waynesboro and mom from New Market. I’ve hunted swan in the northern neck and ducks on the rivers around Waynesboro.

Heard lead shot is ok in South Africa for ducks. Much more effective than steel. Saw a ton of birds on the Eastern Cape.

:S Welcome:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucy39Y308

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia