Flying with firearms and ammunition

DelRock83

AH member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I was recently watching videos and reading articles pertaining to flying with firearms and I still have one more question maybe you guys can help me with considering you all surely have more expertise in this area...the maximum ammo that can be carried is 11 lbs, is that TOTAL for each person, or can 11 lbs of ammo be checked INSIDE your gun case and 11 lbs of ammo locked in a case in your original checked bag....any info would be helpful and appreciated

Also, sometimes they include the hard case as part of the 11lbs. I ran into it on my return from Zimbabwe last year.
Wth....that's crazy...not to be in your affairs but how did you get that situation resolved because any good ammo case worth its salt is gonna be pretty beefy plus the lock itself

So guys Africa in general how are the prices of ammunition there I know it may be steeper than ammo prices here but to skip all of that hassle with TSA etc would in your guys opinion it make sense to purchase your ammo in country

Pelican 1200 with lock plus 30 rounds of 404 Jeffery plus 30 rounds of 458 Lott weigh 11 pounds. Just did it. I’ve always been able to carry enough ammo.

IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG

Here is how I carried 2 boxes of 375 H&H ammo. I cannot remember what it weighed but was well under the limit including the case.
Placed it locked inside my luggage.
Qatar Airlines did make me take it out of the case and they weighed it separately from the case. Very simple.

Some airlines say 5 kilos including the case, others say 5 kilos not including the case. Best to check with the carrier first. Domestically, ammo can be in the gun case. Africa, separately.
Second on the Pelican 1200, it'll do most trips with one or two caliber/cartridge types.

Here's where that number comes from:

I am a sporting shooter and need to travel to a competition with my weapon and ammunition. Is there anything I have to observe?

Sporting weapons and an amount of ammunition up to 5 kg (11 lb) may be in passenger checked baggage only. The weapon must be unloaded and be in its designated transport box. Please check with the airline you intend to travel with to make necessary arrangements.

So guys Africa in general how are the prices of ammunition there I know it may be steeper than ammo prices here but to skip all of that hassle with TSA etc would in your guys opinion it make sense to purchase your ammo in country
I’ve never attempted to buy ammo in Africa. After reading posts by some of our African members, I think that ammo is pretty darned expensive there. The only reason I’d do that is to replace my ammo if it went missing along the way. I’ve never had anyone weigh my separate ammo case. Guess it happens. Unless you use an extremely heavy case, or are bringing some big bore ammo, I don’t think you’ll have any issues.

Where are you going hunting? The inconvenience is minimal. You tell airline agent at counter you have ammo and a firearm to declare. They send you to TSA to send through separate scanner then send you on your way. You get a pre approved rifle permit in South Africa and it’s a 5 minute check. 11 lbs with a hard case is generally 60-80 rounds of 300-375 ammo. Getting the firearm permit in Namibia or Zimbabwe is a 20 minute process at most on arrival. If you are taking your own rifle it would be foolish (and possibly cause a lot of questions to get asked) not to take ammo. The inconvenience is the same.

take what you knows shots in your rifle, you don't know what you will get over there and then you are re-sighting your rifle. it is no hassle to take your own just make sure it is no more then 11 pounds and has 2 TSA locks on it and take spares for your ammo case and rifle. Airlink if you have to fly them will not charge you for your ammo case

The box that you keep your ammo in doesn't need to be Fort Knox. A cheep 30 caliber plastic ammo can works quite well. Some on here have even stolen their kids lunch boxes to carry their ammo. I use a MTM box, between the box, locks and 60 rounds of ammo I still have weight to spare.

Don't let the regulations of taking your own rifle and ammo to hunt with hinder you. While there is paperwork that needs to be done it isn't as bad as it sounds.

The box that you keep your ammo in doesn't need to be Fort Knox. A cheep 30 caliber plastic ammo can works quite well. Some on here have even stolen their kids lunch boxes to carry their ammo. I use a MTM box, between the box, locks and 60 rounds of ammo I still have weight to spare.

Don't let the regulations of taking your own rifle and ammo to hunt with hinder you. While there is paperwork that needs to be done it isn't as bad as it sounds.
That’s putting a lot of trust in an airline employee. I wouldn’t fly internationally without a crush proof case. I previously used a sentry lock box for years and taped around the box to prevent accidental opening. I now use an SKB case. There are a lot of quality cases for +/- $100 to not worry about your ammo in transit and will last many years. I can’t understand why someone paying for a hunt would risk ammo to a lunch box or plastic ammo box.

No ammo inside your guncase. 11lbs total per person packed in a separate locked container.
@Mark R - the FAA and TSA allows Ammo to be packed inside your firearms case but some Airlines have their own policy and prohibit this. Also, some Countries might have more restrictive policies. I always carry TWO printed copies of FAA & TSA Firearms & Ammo policy and also a copy of whatever the “Airline Policy” is for the airline I am flying on - has been helpful several times to have that policy in writing because employees often are unaware.

If you connect to Airlink at JNB headed to Zim or wherever, you will have to remove your ammo case from your checked bag and check it separately. Do NOT use a cheap case if having to leave SA on Airlink.

That’s putting a lot of trust in an airline employee. I wouldn’t fly internationally without a crush proof case. I previously used a sentry lock box for years and taped around the box to prevent accidental opening. I now use an SKB case. There are a lot of quality cases for +/- $100 to not worry about your ammo in transit and will last many years. I can’t understand why someone paying for a hunt would risk ammo to a lunch box or plastic ammo box.
@375Fox - one reason Not to over do it on the ammo case - the 11 pound limit “includes” the packaging - and I’ve had that “discussion” once and they were adamant. I believe the policy is “Ammo may be carried in its original packaging or in a container designed for ammo”. My personal habit is to carry 1/2 my ammo packed in with my Firearm and 1/2 in my check thru luggage. My Logic - if my rifle makes it then I’ll have “some ammo” and if my luggage makes it too - plenty of ammo ! (If they lose the rifles —- than I’m screwed regardless)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiselleMcC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia