INFORMATION NEEDED ON HOW TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL HUNTER

Joeanne Tintinger

Reaction score
Hi, my son is 17 years old (Gr 11) (South Africa), he will be turning 18 in May 2025. He wants to become a professional hunter, I have no idea what to do or even where to start with this. Some advice will be appreciated.

My suggestions would be to start with changing your subject title to something that tells others what you are looking for. Just writing PH could mean a million things, eg want to find one, you are one, you want to complain about one, to ask what a PH is, etc etc. But you want something differently that I had not even thought off. And, by the way, there is at least one other thread about that, perhaps start there.

Which part of Africa are you based in, ma’am ?

hi there

you are welcome to send me an email
stuart@tallyho.co.za
i will point you and your son in the right direction

regards

Hi, my son is 17 years old (Gr 11) (South Africa), he will be turning 18 in May 2025. He wants to become a professional hunter, I have no idea what to do or even where to start with this. Some advice will be appreciated.
Ma'am, I would suggest to contact PHASA directly. (professional hunters association of south Africa)

As per their web site, they have PH schools listed:

It's nice that you are helping your son, but have him find out what he needs to do to become a PH. After he has done the research, and spoken to knowledgeable people, he can share his findings with you. He will grow from the experience and likely meet a lot of people who can help achieve his goal. Good luck.

Last edited:
At the moment the Northern Cape Professional Hunter’s School is a very good option for a young man just finishing high school in South Africa, as it is a 18 month long program. He could also consider doing an apprenticeship with a PH for a few years in one of our neighbouring countries.

Contact PHASA

Not to be nosey, but at age seventeen how much hunting experience does he have?

Most PHs I know (all in South Africa) have a solid backup profession for the off season. Your lad should be encouraged to educate/train himself in an alternate vocation. Many PHs are also landowners who manage agricultural farms. My first (and still favorite) PH did security work and/or carpentry when not guiding. One ran his father's sheep operation. Game farm management is a degree course at universities. It's much more complicated business than one might think. A degree in that field would be very useful for anyone wanting to get into PH biz. Some of the safari farms are being bought up by foreigners who quite literally know nothing about farm management. They just like to shoot stuff. So they need someone who can manage the farm as well as guide clients. Or veterinarian degree but of course that is quite a rigorous and expensive program. South Africa seems to be flooded with park guiding schools right now. Personally, as a retired US park ranger, I would not encourage your son to go with those shake-and-bake schools (we have them over here too). Get a real degree in biology or agriculture. I have a PhD in history with a second BA in biology + other science. And certified to teach it all. So I could work park interpretation at any unit, historical or natural (often both). Besides teaching and park ranger, I was also formerly a policeman, firefighter, emergency medical tech, animal packer (horses & mules), crane operator, finish carpenter, cartographer, and truck driver. I'm sure I've forgot a few of my jobs. Point being, I was never out of work. Always have a backup plan/skill. From what I could see, a backup plan would be especially important in South Africa.

Edit: I'm sure PHASA would be the best first step in investigating pursuit of PH career.

Last edited:
northerncape_ph_school is on Instagram. There's a lot of photos and info there.

Have hunted with the owner. He knows his trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike2565

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia