Jaw Dropping Craft From Okahandja Mbangura Woodcarvers Craft Market

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
The other day my journey led me to a market close by to where I live.
The Okahandja Mbangura Woodcarvers Craft Market, situated at the Southern Entrance to the city of Okahandja close to, B1, Okahandja and second market on the north side of town on the corner of Kus and Voortrekker Street.

Woodcarvers from all over, and as far as the Kavango Region of north-eastern Namibia, who practice their ancient skills come here to sell their goods. The people are friendly and eager to share insight on their work & living.

Okahandja Market 126.jpg

The markets are situated an hour's drive north of Windhoek in the city of Okahandja. Here are pictures from Google to show where both markets are located.

okahandja-market-01.jpg
okahandja-market-02.jpg

Okahandja Mbangura Woodcarvers Craft Market is located at the Southern Entrance to the city of Okahandja.

okahandja-market-03.jpg

The Market on the north side of town is located at the corner of Kus and Voortrekker Street.

okahandja-market-04.jpg

Here's some of their work:

Okahandja Market 086.jpg
Okahandja Market 087.jpg
Okahandja Market 089.jpg
Okahandja Market 092.jpg
Okahandja Market 101.jpg
Okahandja Market 102.jpg
Okahandja Market 104.jpg
Okahandja Market 105.jpg
Okahandja Market 106.jpg
Okahandja Market 107.jpg
Okahandja Market 108.jpg
Okahandja Market 111.jpg
Okahandja Market 113.jpg
Okahandja Market 114.jpg
Okahandja Market 116.jpg
Okahandja Market 120.jpg
Okahandja Market 121.jpg
Okahandja Market 122.jpg
Okahandja Market 124.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat stuff, thanks for posting!

Now that's a place I would love to visit!

WOW!!! Some impressive stuff there, thanks for sharing! It would be a cool place to visit and pick up a few items. Don't think the 1/2 life elephant or sable would fit in my checked bag however:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for sharing. Some great artwork

I do like that market. Been through three times and there is one shop that stands above any other I have visited in Africa. They have incredible works of art that are so life like it is astounding.

Absolutely incredible, If I ever get that way, I'll have to stop. Thanks for sharing.

Places like that are a lot of fun to visit and shop at. Brings back good memories. Some of the work is very fine and some is a bit crude. They all have a place and an audience. Fun stuff! Thanks for sharing!
Bruce

@NamStay how big was the carved elephant in the first picture?

Thanks for sharing, awesome art work !!!

Thanks for the info, I would love to visit those shops, saw some very interesting pieces.

that would look great out side by the pond,the elephant.bet the freight bill would be eye opening.

OK, OK NamStay, you’ve given me another reason to get to Namibia! Maybe I can do it 2019. I’m going to work on it.

Thanks for sharing some very fine carvings!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lavkapepsy

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia