PSA - Mozambique Trophy Export Costs

chase0109

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hopefully, this info will help fellow future hunters know what to expect when taking trophies home from Mozambique. This was not readily available info when I did my research before my first Mozambique hunt in October 2023. It costs an arm and a leg to get salted trophies from Mozambique to SA for export!

As I understand it there is only one company in Mozambique that handles all trophy exports to South Africa, Emiac World Wide. Nothing can be exported directly from Mozambique. Everything must go to SA for dip/pack export. I believe all trophies go to Lifeform Taxidermy in SA then wherever the client wants.

I shot a cape buffalo and a large croc and took both trophies. My cost from Emiac just to get the buffalo and croc to Lifeform in SA was $3,000 ($2,999 to be exact). That is before the dip/pack, export, broker, taxidermy, etc. I will be happy when my trophies make it to the States to go to my taxidermist hopefully mid 2025. But in the future, I doubt I will take any trophies home from Mozambique. Just pics going forward in Mozambique.

I do love hunting in Mozambique! I am already booked for a 2025 buffalo hunt in Mozambique. I plan to return many times (and take trophy pics). But the trophy export costs are crazy!

FYI if you plan to hunt Mozambique and bring trophies home, prepare to spend a lot of cash.

Chase

We are hearing all kinds of ridiculously high prices lately but this one is out of bounds. Wow, sorry to hear this.

Damn, that’s more than what it cost me to get 5 animals out of Mozambique all the way to The Wildlife Gallery in Michigan. Buffalo, sable, warthog, nyala , Lichtenstein hartebeest and bushbuck. I think their route was, camp to EMIAC, South Africa, Atlanta, Chicago to Michigan. I’m pretty sure that EMIAC did the dip&pack. Of course this was in 2014 and everything has sky rocketed.

Did the croc and it’s required CITIES permit add much?

We are hearing all kinds of ridiculously high prices lately but this one is out of bounds. Wow, sorry to hear this.
I appreciate the condolences!
I was expecting $1000 to get trophies from Moz to SA based on my research. The first bill was $2,178 in March. The second bill (apparently Emiac has 2 divisions and each bill separately) was $818.98. I just got that bill. Very much a surprise when the bill is triple what you expect!

I expect the total cost will be over $10,000 for taxidermy before its done. Croc will be flat skin and euro skull, buffalo will be wall pedestal. I'm sure I will hunt many more buffalo, but this will be the only one on the wall lol.

Just wanted to share the info for future Mozambique hunters. I never saw anything about these rates when researching. Still a great place to hunt, just be ready to empty your wallet if bringing trophies home lol.

Damn, that’s more than what it cost me to get 5 animals out of Mozambique all the way to The Wildlife Gallery in Michigan. Buffalo, sable, warthog, nyala , Lichtenstein hartebeest and bushbuck. I think their route was, camp to EMIAC, South Africa, Atlanta, Chicago to Michigan. I’m pretty sure that EMIAC did the dip&pack. Of course this was in 2014 and everything has sky rocketed.

Did the croc and it’s required CITIES permit add much?
If you find a time machine to get back to 2014 let me know! I'd much prefer those rates :)

I don't think the cities permit added much. $225 for application for cities. I attached the first invoice so others know what to expect.

Chase

Attachments

Hopefully, this info will help fellow future hunters know what to expect when taking trophies home from Mozambique. This was not readily available info when I did my research before my first Mozambique hunt in October 2023. It costs an arm and a leg to get salted trophies from Mozambique to SA for export!

As I understand it there is only one company in Mozambique that handles all trophy exports to South Africa, Emiac World Wide. Nothing can be exported directly from Mozambique. Everything must go to SA for dip/pack export. I believe all trophies go to Lifeform Taxidermy in SA then wherever the client wants.

I shot a cape buffalo and a large croc and took both trophies. My cost from Emiac just to get the buffalo and croc to Lifeform in SA was $3,000 ($2,999 to be exact). That is before the dip/pack, export, broker, taxidermy, etc. I will be happy when my trophies make it to the States to go to my taxidermist hopefully mid 2025. But in the future, I doubt I will take any trophies home from Mozambique. Just pics going forward in Mozambique.

I do love hunting in Mozambique! I am already booked for a 2025 buffalo hunt in Mozambique. I plan to return many times (and take trophy pics). But the trophy export costs are crazy!

FYI if you plan to hunt Mozambique and bring trophies home, prepare to spend a lot of cash.

Chase
Good lord, that is dear. The price of the after hunt costs these days is equivalent or more than the hunt itself it seems

WOW, that is a high price to pay to get your animals to S.A. I hunted Mozambique this year. Sure don't want to pay that price.

What are the two different bills from Emiac for?

WOW, that is a high price to pay to get your animals to S.A. I hunted Mozambique this year. Sure don't want to pay that price.

What are the two different bills from Emiac for?
As I understand it all Emiac services on the Mozambique side are billed through one branch. All SA services are billed through the second branch. TIA so IDK.

I am using SSI as my broker and Wyatt has been awesome so far! Emiac sent me the itemized first bill directly. Since I got SSI involved all communication now goes through Wyatt and on to me. I trust him completely so when he sent me the second bill I called Wyatt, he explained it, and I paid it. I'm sure I could get an itemized second bill if I want. But I trust Wyatt has done this before and isn't just paying for the heck of it.

Did you get a quote of what it will cost to get your trophies to SA?
If not, plan to pay a lot!
I would guess without the croc it would be $600-700 less. But would go back up depending on other trophies taken.

My PH was really surprised when I told him the cost. So I don't think clients relay the export costs back to him. On my future hunts, I will ask for a quote from Emiac for Moz to SA before committing to taking trophies. If it's anything like this export my trophies can stay in camp and I will admire them on each return trip LOL.

Chase

My trophies have just arrived into NewZealand form a hunt in Mozambique in August 2022, a buffalo, nyala and warthog. The cost to bring them from Mozambique into lifeform in SA was $990,this is a proportion of the total shipment of all the trophies that were on the truck I was told. As othere who were on the same hunt as me paid less for a greater number of animals.

Chase, no quote yet. Probably not for a couple more months. The outfitter waits until the end of the season before shipping them out. Like Warren said, the charge will be dependent on the total shipment of everyone's trophies on the truck. I can live with Warren's $990.

Chase
I am sorry to hear this as we just completed a safari in Mozambique.

Thanks for the information as we were planning on hunting Moz in the very near future and still will but I'm about done getting bent over on these shipping fees. Pictures are seeming more logical nowadays, for us anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richardwew

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia