Take A Look What It's Like To Travel On The Rovos Rail, Africa's Most Luxurious Train

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

This article forms part of the archives of Business Insider South Africa, which was published as a partnership between News24 and Insider Inc between 2018 and 2023.

Review

• The Rovos Rail is one of the most luxurious trains in the world.
  • Suites have double beds and private bathrooms with showers - some with Victorian bathtubs, too.
  • The family-owned business has survived crises like near-bankruptcy, Covid lockdowns, and crumbling national rail infrastructure - but remains one of the world's best.
  • On-board luxuries include black-tie dinners, twice-daily wine pairings, and a club lounge with an open-air observation car.
  • All food, drinks, and excursions are included in the price.
  • And the constantly shifting South African scenery is dramatic.
  • Here's what it's like to travel between Pretoria and Cape Town on the Rovos Rail.

When South Africa's Rovos Rail began in the late 1980s, it was the first train in the world to feature on-board luxuries like double beds and en-suite bathrooms. And despite some modern-day difficulties, it's still the most luxurious train in Africa that sits comfortably among the top five in the world.

The Rovos Rail is a family-owned business that has averted multiple near-disasters in its 34-year history. These include early business missteps like sending an empty train to Dar Es Salaam, lockdowns during the Covid-19 pandemic, and current struggles with state-run rail infrastructure, load shedding, and cable theft.

Founder Rohan Vos, who still runs the company and is often on hand to greet arriving or departing guests, says when he presented the idea of a luxury train to travel agents, most thought he was crazy.

"You must appreciate that nowhere in the world was there a train with a bathroom en-suite," Vos said shortly before departure from Pretoria. "That was totally unheard of. And to have a double bed? That was really going over the top!"

Screenshot_70.jpg

I have looked into Rovos Rail a few times. It's not a bucket list type trip for me but I hope to do it someday

All I could think looking at that was how at odds it seems with that recent thread @Red Leg posted about RSA going to Hell in a hand basket. :A Blink:

I’ve looked at doing a bird hunting tour on rovos rail at one time or another. It looked like a really fun experience-maybe an anniversary or something on those lines.-Tony Mākris does a really nice YouTube video on birds and adventures from the rovos rail trains.

Last edited:
I am a hardcore steam train fanatic and although Rovos no longer runs a steam train we are planning on doing the Cape Town to dar es salaam now that Rovos has reversed their cowardly stance of only allowing vaxxed folks to ride. The dollar has once again won out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haileyrich78

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia