The Problem With CITES The Convention Designed To Protect Endangered Wildlife

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

The international conservation agreement CITES is nearly half a century old. Now, with some parties pushing back against its decisions and other critics point to its unwieldy volume of paperwork, its future and effectiveness are uncertain.

They appear like a green mirage in the middle of the dusty brown landscape of the Kalahari Desert in eastern Namibia – typical trophy-hunting camps, very common for this part of the southwest African state. The sizable plot of Gohunting Namibia, not far from the small town of Gobabis, looks like you would expect: an immaculate, generously watered lawn lined with camel thorn trees leads to guest rooms for the international hunting clientele. This is where the trail ended on a hot summer day in February for investigative journalist John Grobler as he followed a lead he had picked up on some months ago. The story concerned 170 wild African elephants, an attempt to sell them, and the role of the international conservation agreement CITES.

Screenshot_35.jpg

I've learned a lot about CITES and the groups pushing its policies--largely American-based do-gooders who don't have the slightest knowledge of the messy realities of conservation. One of the best resources in this regard is the True Green Alliance (ZA) of which I'm a proud member. Ron Thomson is a giant and an endless source of knowledge--all of us should be familiar with his work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haileyrich78

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia