270 Win/ What to do?

She stays a 270 with a few upgrades like new trigger, bedding and free floating the barrel. I’m sure it will be a shooter and look forward to giving a test run and hunting with it later this year. Appreciate the input from y’all.
Yes keep it a 270 as honestly that’s one of the best cartridges ever designed and is great on game!
Buuuut when you say a new trigger do you mean a polishing and lighting the trigger pull of the trigger or replacing the Winchester trigger?

A 25-06 is the most useless cartridge I have ever owned. But, if you must have one, buy mine. I'll let it go cheap, and it is nearly new.
I didn't read the thread......but hopefully you chose something better. good shooting.........FWB

If the 270 isn’t a fit for you then maybe try 9.3x62. One of my M70’s was a straight rebarrel from a 25-06, 270 would be the same. Mine wears a lothar barrel and is my most accurate rifle.

You got a pretty well rounded collection there. The 30-06 you already have is close enough to the .270 to make it redundant. I’d think about something smaller than the 25-06 like maybe a .243.
@dougfinn
Wash your mouth out with soap mate.
You should never buy a 243 over a 25-06 or anything else for that matter.
Bob

A 25-06 is the most useless cartridge I have ever owned. But, if you must have one, buy mine. I'll let it go cheap, and it is nearly new.
I didn't read the thread......but hopefully you chose something better. good shooting.........FWB
@flatwater bill
Sorry to hear you don't like the grand old 25-06.
To me a fast 25 takes some beating on game up to big deer when loaded with good bullets. Everything I shoot with my 25 dies very quickly usually drops on the spot.
Bob

I hear ya, Bob.........if my quarry is a deer.....the 280 Rem does better. If an elk, the 280 or Whelen does waaay better. And if an antelope........the mighty 243 kills just as well as the 25-06. The 25 recoils too much for rock chucks.....can't see the hit......, there the 223 does fine. So something I own does anything better. But that's just me........Bill

I hear ya, Bob.........if my quarry is a deer.....the 280 Rem does better. If an elk, the 280 or Whelen does waaay better. And if an antelope........the mighty 243 kills just as well as the 25-06. The 25 recoils too much for rock chucks.....can't see the hit......, there the 223 does fine. So something I own does anything better. But that's just me........Bill
@flatwater bill
Have to agree mate the 280 is a fine cartridge. Pity Remington under loaded it from birth. Loaded to its potential it ain't that far behind the sexy AI version.
Have to disagree that the 243s kill just as well as the 25-06, there's nothing you can load into the 243 that will come close to the 25. The 25-06 hits harder at 400 yards than the 243 does at 200 when loaded with 100 grains. Nothing you can load into the 243 will come close to a 120 grainers in the 25 at 3,000fps. That make the 25 not far behind the venerable 270 with a 130gn and no-one I know would compare the 243 to a 270.
I'm happy you use the 243 and it works for you but it does absolutely nothing for me.
Bob

Kudos to you keeping it a 270 Win. That was my first big game rifle and I still have it in the safe. The 270 win has killed more elk than probably the fancy current cartridges put together.
Back in the we day, talking the 1970’s, Remington Corejunk was about the only choice we had in factory ammo. Today, with the advancement in powders and bullets, I think you could load up a hell of a round in the 270 to do about anything you wanted up to Moose size game.
I may just have to get mine out and work up some new loads!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corey0123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia