300 Weatherby vs 300 Win Mag

I like my 300 Weatherby, and I'm a huge fan of Weatherby cartridges and rifles. The 300 Weatherby 180 grs Hornady Interlocks sell for $69.00 on the Weatherby web site, that is not a wallet breaking price. The 300 Weatherby ammo is not hard to find in the US. Yes, the animals do not notice the difference in 200-300 fps, and if that was the case we would still be hunting with smaller cartridges. I would suggest see which barrel is easily available to you and go with that. If I had a choice, I'd go with the 300 Weatherby.

Truthfully, I'm surprised the 300 H&H didn't come up on this post. Now, that's a sexy cartridge, and if I had a choice, I would go with the 300 H&H because of its history and it's a H&H. :LOL:

Truthfully, I'm surprised the 300 H&H didn't come up on this post.
Blaser don’t offer the 300H&H.
With a bit of googling, you’ll find local gunsmiths that can make you any Blaser barrel you want.
I have a buddy that had a 300WSM long before they were available from Blaser.
He also has 220 Swift, 25-06 and 280AI barrels.

A Blaser R8 with 375H&H and .300H&H barrels would be something special though…. 24” semi-weights of course.
My wife shoots the semi-weight 19mm 300WM barrel on her Intuition stock pretty easily. My 375H&H and 300WM barrels are both standard 17mm contour, and I find them a pleasure to shoot. This is me shooting the 375H&H that weighs 7.75 lbs and for reference, I'm 70" and 160 lbs.

I'm shooting a .300 weatherby in a Blaser K95, but if you have an R8, the 300 RUM, which I never would have chosen, but came with the rifle used, it's absolutely fantastic!

I started with .300Wby in a 700 stainless Sendero, using 180gr Balistic tips to reach across Oklahoma crop fields and love it.

When it came time for the travel rifle, I bought a .300Win M77mkII and had Kempfeld custom do their magic to it and couldn’t be happier with it.

My cousin has a .300Jarret full custom and I like it except for the muzzle brake on it.

It’s hard to go wrong with any, but if you’re talking a Blaser I’d go .300Wby - Ammo has become cheap enough that you can find it cheaper to buy quality ammo than just the brass.

Example: Midway has 180gr TTSX Barnes ammo for $61 per 20ct

As stated by others you can load the Wby down if you want but it’s nice to have the extra horse power behind a .30cal bullet & have the ability to choose bullets from 150-220grn

I started with the 300 wby but moved to the 300 win. The win will do 3160 with a 180 in a 24 inch barrel. Loaded to the same pressure there is little difference.

I have had a few Australian clients come and hunt with 300 Weatherbys back in 2010 or 2011 when I was still a fulltime PH and outfitter. The loads they came with was 150gr Barnes TTSX it was devastating at 3400fps.

Most of the plainsgame from springbuck to zebra/kudu dropped on the spot.
Between the bunch of them at least 40+ animals.
But if they didn't use a proper constructed bullet I would not have been full of praise of the 300 Weatherby.

So just bear in mind speed only kills when a proper bullet is used.

300 WBY.
-300 Win Mag: More drop and less energy from the Win Mag with same bullet weight (180 Grain) using a 200 yard zero.

300 WBY or 300 RUM. I have both. Either allows you to shoot a heavier bullet with lights out performance...

I prefer my rifle in the 300 RUM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PollyDenha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia