A modernized 416

I don’t think it’s commonplace on the traditional European style safari guns but I will be running one on my modernized build.
I've been seeing bigger knobs showing up on newer European rifles, especially ones geared towards driven hunts. Seems like it would make sense on a DG rifle, a shorter bolt throw would be a cool development too.

For a modern 416 I’d reach out to Long Rifles Inc, Blue Mountain Precision, and West Texas Ordnance. Both LRI and Blue Noubtain can build a 416 using the ARC Mausingfield action if you want controlled round feed. WTO has an action that you can easily swap barrels without needing to use a vice.

There is a good chance that I will have LRI do the work as I have had them do stuff in the past and have always been happy. If I decide to go with CRF I will use an ARC action for sure, my only complaint with them is that all their rails have build in MOA that I don’t need for this rifle, I’m not sure if that’s even an actual problem or just in my head.

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with a 20 MOA rail on the action. I’d check your scope to see what amount of elevation travel it has. The 20 MOA rail will probably put you in the middle or upper half of your elevation travel. The open top Mausingfield action will also accept direct mount rings if you don’t want the picatinny rail

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with a 20 MOA rail on the action. I’d check your scope to see what amount of elevation travel it has. The 20 MOA rail will probably put you in the middle or upper half of your elevation travel. The open top Mausingfield action will also accept direct mount rings if you don’t want the picatinny rail
I have an inclination to go with the Coup De Grâce action and use detachable mags so that it is fully modernized, I’m still kicking around the options.

Coup De Grâce is great, I have 3. I put together a 7 PRC using the CDG action. You can certainly do the Mausingfield with a detachable bottom metal. LRI built me a 338 Lapua with DBM that uses AICS CIP length mags. Another route would be to use Hawkins Hunter DBM with their flush fit mags. They are working on flush fit mags that work with belted magnums.

Coup De Grâce is great, I have 3. I put together a 7 PRC using the CDG action. You can certainly do the Mausingfield with a detachable bottom metal. LRI built me a 338 Lapua with DBM that uses AICS CIP length mags. Another route would be to use Hawkins Hunter DBM with their flush fit mags. They are working on flush fit mags that work with belted magnums.

I am giving all of this serious consideration. I have watched some videos on them today. I am still liking the CDG better, shorter bolt throw, still controlled round feed, the bold is serviceable with no tools which was a big draw to the weatherby 307 action, and still a reasonable price.

The CDG is a great action, as is the previously mentioned Mausingfield (albeit at a higher price point) Griffin and Howe is building a lot of their new rifles on ARC actions and while admittedly I've only played with a Weatherby 307 briefly, I think you'll be much more satisfied with the ARC.

I really like the Peak 44 stocks, but for this purpose I think you'd be better served by a McMillan safari or if you could get your hands on a flat top Echols Legend stock.

Blaser R8 is the epitome of a modern DG rifle ready to go, out of the box. This is our pair all set up for the next trip.
1729030643362.png

Last edited:
The CDG is a great action, as is the previously mentioned Mausingfield (albeit at a higher price point) Griffin and Howe is building a lot of their new rifles on ARC actions and while admittedly I've only played with a Weatherby 307 briefly, I think you'll be much more satisfied with the ARC.

I really like the Peak 44 stocks, but for this purpose I think you'd be better served by a McMillan safari or if you could get your hands on a flat top Echols Legend stock.
I think you’re right on the action, I will gain CRF and a shorter bolt throw, probably a little smoother action and still maintain the more sleek look of most push feed actions. I think it’s worth 500$ more.

The McMillan safari, peak blacktooth and manners mcs-eh3 will be what I choose between

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Pavlich

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!