Acceptable accuracy in a rifle! What’s that mean??

poco

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Puro pinche low fence hunting, Anglo SCI
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
I’m still looking at wood stock BSA & Parker Hale rifles in .243 & 6.5x55
And keep getting the answer “ acceptable accuracy “ WTH does that mean?
I know some are 50/60/70 years old, what is average or best for these rifle
I like wood vintage but vague description's about them are driving me nuts

Depends on the gun and the caliber for me…

Most of my AR’s I’m happy if I’m getting 1.5 MOA… 2 MOA is acceptable…

Most of my hunting rifles if I’m getting around 1 MOA I’m happy.. but 1.5 MOA for the distances I typically shoot is acceptable..

For my more modern bolt guns, I expect sub MOA accuracy.. that’s what most manufacturers like Christensen, fierce, seekins, etc all “guarantee”.. but truth be told if I can find a good hunting load that reliably produces 1 MOA I find that perfectly acceptable..

They’re both excellent rifles, built on strong actions.
Is “acceptable accuracy” based on factory loads?

With a good bore, both are easily capable of 1/2-1.25” groups at 100m with hand loads. Getting a decent 6.5x55 to shoot 1/2” isn’t hard.

If the barrels are questionable, it’s often still worth it to have a good gun smith screw on a new one. They don’t make wood and steel like that anymore.:cry:

Get the Parker Hale. The BSA Majestic rifles in .243 Winchester used somewhat softer steel in the barrels. And they had comparatively shorter barrel life. The beastly muzzle brakes are another major turn off. Why BSA opted to put a muzzle brake on a .243 Winchester is completely beyond me. If a man can't handle the recoil of a .243 Winchester, then he has no business owning firearms.

Acceptable accuracy should be 1" groups out to 50-60 yards in a good condition BSA Majestic.

Factory loads 1-1.5", even 2" @100 will get the job done at reasonable hunting distances.

I’d consider 1.5” at 100 acceptable accuracy for hunting inside 300 yards. I’d prefer at or under 1” though for my rifles.

I’m still looking at wood stock BSA & Parker Hale rifles in .243 & 6.5x55
And keep getting the answer “ acceptable accuracy “ WTH does that mean?
I know some are 50/60/70 years old, what is average or best for these rifle
I like wood vintage but vague description's about them are driving me nuts
All the above answers are true. To complicate the obvious...

Acceptable accuracy is salesmans speak much like "good condition for it's age".
That means it's old and worn out but not broken or covered with rust.

If you are collecting and not going to shoot it more than a couple times, then acceptable accuracy should be fine.

If one is serious about what is acceptable accuracy, one must consider their functional requirements.
1. Dangerous game at 50 yards or less
2. Large plains game at 150 yards or less
3. Duiker at 200 yards?
4. Baboons at 600 yards?
5. North American woodchucks or prarie dogs at 300 to 600 yards?

Because recoil is not conducive to consistent accuracy, add to that the power requirements of the bullet at range of impact, i.e. bullet travels xx yards to hit animal, how many foot pounds of energy remain? In the same configuration and weight of rifle, more power means more recoil!

Are your power requirements for:
1. Elephant
2. Buffalo
3. Eland
4. Kudu
5. Smaller antelope/whitetail deer

Finally, how accurate can you shoot?
1. Off the sticks
2. Off a firm rest
3. Prone position which is doable with a 375 H&H, perhaps with a 416, but not for me shooting a 458!

Where are you hunting?
1. Thick brush where 100 yards is a long shot
2. Open country where getting closer than 300 yards is very difficult?

A dangerous game double rifle may be regulated to a maker's standard of both barrels producing hits within a 3" circle at 50 yards. Personally, I'd like a 1.5" group at 50 yards for both barrels but that IS NOT necessary for stopping a large, charging, angry, wanting to kill you creature.

For the same or similar cartridge in a bolt action dangerous game rifle acceptable accuracy for me would be half or less of what is acceptable for a double rifle. Why? A bolt gun has a lot less variables that does a double rifle. I'd also expect to be capable of much longer shots with the bolt action. For those, one can try different factory or handloads until a small group is repeatable. Without having to worry about the two barrels maintaining regulation, the possibilities are almost endless!

To the above with a flat shooting cartridge, I expect to be able to accurately hit a small target at 100, 200, or even 300 yards. Now, 300 yards with a 458 Win or Lott is pushing it because they start dropping quickly after 150 or so yards. With a 375 H&H or similar shooting at small to medium size plains game, 300 yards is doable if one can't get any closer. For a duiker, 300 yards with a 375 may be stretching your luck. The same shot with a "fast" cartridge somewhere between a 22-250 and 300 magnums is easy for a good marksman.

Varmint and target accuracy is certainly higher than that for dangerous game. One minute of angle (MOA) is the least accuracy for these rifles, if not a half MOA.

For military service rifles, 2 MOA is probably enough. Sniper rifles of today are much more accurate, perhaps 1/2 MOA for most.

Last edited:
Hi Poco,

As uplander1 say: "... 1-1.5", even 2" @100 will get the job done at reasonable hunting distances."
The most important, even with a 2" 100 yards or meters rifle, is what can do YOU with that rifle from hunting field positions.
I will be happier with a rifle that ALWAYS put 3 shoot in 2" from a bench at 100 meters AND FIT YOU AS A GLOVE than anything else.

Good luck!

CF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allenvoift

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia