Alpine boots for Chamois hunt

Crispi, zamberlan, hanwag are all great brands that I’ve owned. Check out their stiffness rating and order accordingly.

Danner pronghorn is a no go for that terrain. I hate that boot in any terrain, frankly.

La Sportiva and Crispi are good choices but with all stiffer hunting boots make sure to really use them before the hunt to make sure they fit you well
I just had my second pair of La Sportiva start peeling away the sole again. They are fantastic boots, but my experiance is they have a very short life. I think I am ordering a new pair of Zamberlin and going to try a different route. The 2090 Mountain pro I think will be my next choice.

Zamberlain. Check with your outfitter for his thoughts, willing to bet they concur. Enjoy!

Limmer Lightweights - made for your foot.

I've been trying to find a good pair of boots for high altitude hunting and cant seem to find anything in wide sizes. My first pick was Kenetrek, but medium width seems to be all they make.

Meindle is one brand that I'm familiar with and they are available in wide sizes.

Danner has a Pronghorn model that's all lightweight leather, and my regular boots that I wear for deer and small game are Danner, so I'm positive they'll fit, but might not be the best choice for high mountain hunting.

Are there other brands that would be suitable for a Chamois hunt that are available in WIDE width? I normally wear a 12.5 or 13 wide.
I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns. I had worn them in some serious mountains in Washington and New Mexico. Also some less serious mountains in B.C. and Idaho. They have held up nicely, support my ankles, keep my feet warm and are still waterproof. I'm not sure a more expensive pair of boots would do any better.

I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns. I had worn them in some serious mountains in Washington and New Mexico. Also some less serious mountains in B.C. and Idaho. They have held up nicely, support my ankles, keep my feet warm and are still waterproof. I'm not sure a more expensive pair of boots would do any better.

I have Merrill hiking boots that I have walked all over Switzerland, but that trail walking. When I was in Triglav NP in Slovenia we started on a trails and after that no trails - landslides, glacier moraines, streams and steep climbs. The first spot the guide said I would never make it to the top it in my boots. I said let’s try, we arrived at spot, almost straight up, he was right. We went to “easier”areas with the slides, etc.

I cannot stress enough very stiff ankles, with only forward flex.

Hi,

Like wesheltonj said. This one would be one to me:

or this one

Or this other two:

"Romania in late September, just north of Bucharest. Wooded and wet at lower elevation, cold and rocky at higher elevation."

I think for alpine chamois hunting, a truly good mountain boot is needed! I use my Asolos since more than 20 years now for mountain hunting in the Patagonian Andes. For steep rocky slopes no other kind of boots work properly.
I present those only as proper samples. There are more than a few good brands, mostly European designs.

Last edited:
Beautiful animals and an awesome challenging hunt. You'll certainly want decent strong boots with a stiff shank.

I wear Gaspo boots from Italy. Lowa are probably the most popular in NZ. Meindl or Scarpa are also popular for good reason.

IMG_20210701_222708_925.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XiomaraSaa

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia