another 375 H&H slow load question

@rookhawk may be able to offer suggestions as I believe his son was shooting a .375 HH with lighter recoil loads. I’ll be working on this same topic shortly - happy to share anything I learn

IMG_1042.png
IMG_1041.png
This is just to get her warmed up to the idea of shooting a 375 H&H. We will graduate to more recoil over time.
5744 powder
Reduced load to get warmed up to hunting load

Try to load a 235 or 250 at 2500 FPS. That will be good to start with.
My experience with No. 1s is that recoil is worse than other rifles in the same caliber.

Zim, Sounds like you have created a monster, lol. Good for you that she likes to hunt. I cannot even get my wife to go with me on the trips. She has been to the range a few times but simply does not like hunting at all but tolerates my hunting. Very supportive in fact. I get what you want to do. I have some factory 250g TBBC ammo that is milder than the heavier stuff I hunt with. Another option would be to have Hendershots load you some custom light loads for her to practice with if you are not already set up to load 375HH. The idea to break her in with 12ga shotgun is a great one. The recoil of my 12ga double is about the same as a full power 375 hunting load but my shotgun is very light in the 6-7lb range. Keep her off the bench. You should do all the sighting and dial in on the bench and let her practice off sticks only. Also, use a 22lr rimfire at a shorter range to practice mounting and shooting from sticks for several weeks prior to your hunts. That served me well.
22lr is where we are starting off sticks She shot my 6.5x55 loaded with Weldcore 160 grain like it was nothing, which it is.

Zim, Sounds like you have created a monster, lol. Good for you that she likes to hunt. I cannot even get my wife to go with me on the trips. She has been to the range a few times but simply does not like hunting at all but tolerates my hunting. Very supportive in fact. I get what you want to do. I have some factory 250g TBBC ammo that is milder than the heavier stuff I hunt with. Another option would be to have Hendershots load you some custom light loads for her to practice with if you are not already set up to load 375HH. The idea to break her in with 12ga shotgun is a great one. The recoil of my 12ga double is about the same as a full power 375 hunting load but my shotgun is very light in the 6-7lb range. Keep her off the bench. You should do all the sighting and dial in on the bench and let her practice off sticks only. Also, use a 22lr rimfire at a shorter range to practice mounting and shooting from sticks for several weeks prior to your hunts. That served me well.
I already have powder and magnum primers, just need bullets, brass, and dies to go a long with all the other cartridges I reload for from 223 rem up to 404J

Hodgdon has load data showing standard load of both IMR4895 and H4895 for a 200gr. What I have read is that you can take the max load time 0.6 and that is the lowest charge to start with. Check my math, but that looks like about 45-46gr, which should be pretty light. Another one I’ve used is the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook which has these two. You could probably find someone selling or willing to make a batch of those exact bullets.
IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1959.jpeg

Also an article in i think ~2009 Hodgdon Manual, “MELs, Moderate Effective Loads”, that has H4198 under this Barnes 235 TSX in a 375 Ruger, not quite the same, but something to consider, and more data on 4895 powders in this published data.
IMG_1961.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kendyl

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia