Best magnum rifle reloading press? RCBS Ammomaster2 vs Forster Coax?

Well, I have the Summit. It is rated very highly. But, a lot of play and when necking down some cases, it had trouble getting the job done. If you can afford it, get the Prazi single stage or Zero turret press (that's where I went after the Summit) or the Co-Ax. I think the Summit is great for every day reloading but not precision reloading. That said, spend your money on high quality dies first - more important than the press.

Well, I have the Summit. It is rated very highly. But, a lot of play and when necking down some cases, it had trouble getting the job done. If you can afford it, get the Prazi single stage or Zero turret press (that's where I went after the Summit) or the Co-Ax. I think the Summit is great for every day reloading but not precision reloading. That said, spend your money on high quality dies first - more important than the press.
Thanks for sharing your review! Guess I’ll look into one of the others you’ve suggested.

I don't have one but they look sturdy and MEC has been making reloading presses for decades.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.29.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.29.00 AM.png
    906.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.29.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 10.29.02 AM.png
    537.1 KB · Views: 90
I picked up a Redding Big Boss II last year specifically to handle the longer/heavier calibers. So far, I've been pleased with it. Pretty beefy ram with twin bars. With the full wrap frame, it will undoubtedly outlast my great-grandkids. It also doesn't break the bank at $250.

I just upgraded to the Zero Press (Area 419 is the manufacturer) from Forster Co-Ax press. I wanted a turret press where each turret could hold multiple calibers and also be robust and precise enough. Probably an overkill, but then that's how I roll. ;)

This weekend I installed it on my bench including a stand for it that has room to store a couple of turrets on the back, and a slits on either side for an Akro bin. It is pretty beefy.

View attachment 451428

View attachment 451429

@Tanks you’ve had me Thinking ever since you posted this. I have to ask, whats the max cartridge you can load in it? Will it do 470NE? Will it do bigger dies Than 7/8” such as .577ne?

@Tanks you’ve had me Thinking ever since you posted this. I have to ask, whats the max cartridge you can load in it? Will it do 470NE? Will it do bigger dies Than 7/8” such as .577ne?
It does .500 NE which is the parent case. The ram stroke is 4.4", plenty of room to spare. It does have extra turrets you can buy that are 1-1/4" thread (8 stations) as well as turrets that are hybrid, 4 stations 7/8 and 4 1-1/4"

I am not sure if .577 dies are 1-1/4 or not.

It does .500 NE which is the parent case. The ram stroke is 4.4", plenty of room to spare. It does have extra turrets you can buy that are 1-1/4" thread (8 stations) as well as turrets that are hybrid, 4 stations 7/8 and 4 1-1/4"

I am not sure if .577 dies are 1-1/4 or not.

@Tanks is there a package that gets you the stand, trays, organizers, covers, extra turret?

No packages, everything optional is à la carte from the link below as people have different needs.

In addition to the Zero Press I bought the "Big Dog Steel Press stand", cover, and the arca mount "Zero storage block"

I already had bought funnel kit, trays etc. from Area 419 in the past. Once my 6mm Dasher and .404J get built I will probably get another turret.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 6.16.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-02 at 6.16.36 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
I've used the Hornady lock n load classic press to reload, 375H&H, 458 Lott, 450 Rigby, 470 Nitro Express and 500 Jeffery. Great press does the job no worries at all, I doubt I will ever have to buy another press.

Well, I’d like to publicly insult @Tanks for causing enough envy in me that I’m $2200 lighter in the pocketbook.

Yep, I bought the damned 419 press with all the bells and whistles.

I was going to be completely content with some jinky RCBS press single stage until he posted photos of that luscious magnum turret press. I might add, the only magnum turret that I believe exists capable of doing largebore dies too.

Thanks for nothing!

Holy smokes! Mr. Yard sale spent some big bucks.
Seriously it looks like a high quality set up that will serve you and your grandchildren for the rest of your days.

Holy smokes! Mr. Yard sale spent some big bucks.
Seriously it looks like a high quality set up that will serve you and your grandchildren for the rest of your days.

I know, right? I figure there is a day coming in the future where some of these vintage calibers and large bores will have no brass. If a press has flawless tolerances perhaps it might mean one more loading. It also means I set my dies up and never, ever touch them again.

I am intrigued by turret presses, but never saw enough of an advantage to get rid of my single stage. If I were starting new, I would consider it harder. Since have my “dumpster Dillon” progressive press, I will probably never try a turret press.

@rookhawk Next in purchase stream, of course, is a Giraud power trimmer. It will do up to .500 NE and has blank case holders that can be modified for other calibers. Not only it trims, but it will deburr and chamfer as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.37 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.39 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.42 PM.png
    607 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.43 PM.png
    595.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.14.45 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
@rookhawk Next in purchase stream, of course, is a Giraud power trimmer. It will do up to .500 NE and has blank case holders that can be modified for other calibers. Not only it trims, but it will deburr and chamfer as well.

@Tanks you’re a bad man.

I am happy with my Ammo master 2 for amount of loading I do. Still have 2 more RCBS PRESSES Mounted on the bench. Between all three of ther m don't need anything fancy.. only press i msy get will be bullet swageing hydraulic press to covert cup and core bullets to different size ond notch down.may work for bonded too.
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WEZMeagan9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia