Best rifle for 458 WM?

It kicks but you can down load it with cast bullets and its pretty dern accurate. Or it is in my Ruger 77 in 458 WM.

Please read this article by Finn Aagaard.
Messenger_creation_554E8FE6-5A6B-45A5-8E2F-9C934DE89D1A.jpeg

In short, yes. Different .458 Winchester Magnum rifles have different throat lengths which make it more or less difficult to achieve a higher velocity. Longer throats make it difficult to achieve higher velocities. Shorter throats make it easier.

The Winchester Model 70 has a long throat which makes it difficult to achieve above 2090 FPS with most .458 Winchester Magnum ammunition. The 22" barrels of the post '64 Model 70 rifles only made matters worse.

The best rifles ever made for the .458 Winchester Magnum, were:
A) The Mannlicher Schoenauer (only 77 made in this caliber)
B) The BSA Majestic (only 257 made in this caliber)

They had very short throats and permitted velocities above 2100 FPS to be easily achieved. In the case of the BSA Majestic, this was impressively accomplished with barrels that were only 20" long (minus those beastly muzzle brakes).

Now, the advantage of the long throat in the Winchester Model 70... is that this makes it better for conversions to .458 Lott.

IMG_6869.jpeg

Please read this article by Finn Aagaard.
View attachment 641248
In short, yes. Different .458 Winchester Magnum rifles have different throat lengths which make it more or less difficult to achieve a higher velocity. Longer throats make it difficult to achieve higher velocities. Shorter throats make it easier.

The Winchester Model 70 has a long throat which makes it difficult to achieve above 2090 FPS with most .458 Winchester Magnum ammunition. The 22" barrels of the post '64 Model 70 rifles only made matters worse.

The best rifles ever made for the .458 Winchester Magnum, were:
A) The Mannlicher Schoenauer (only 77 made in this caliber)
B) The BSA Majestic (only 257 made in this caliber)

They had very short throats and permitted velocities above 2100 FPS to be easily achieved. In the case of the BSA Majestic, this was impressively accomplished with barrels that were only 20" long (minus those beastly muzzle brakes).

Now, the advantage of the long throat in the Winchester Model 70... is that this makes it better for conversions to .458 Lott.
My Custom Shop M-70 has a 22” bbl and has no problem hitting 2100ftps? DGS does 2170 on average!
No need for a Lott unless you are a PH and I’d put my Winchester against any BSA or Mannlicher in fit, finish, and function any day! I’d actually bet on it against them!
And yes I’ve both seen and held those two and they are fine rifles! They just are not a Winchester Custom Shop rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonRid

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia