Website
htksafaris.com
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia
So this is always a topic and a question we get a regularly.

When is the best time to hunt in Africa?
At HTK Safaris we have a few factors that play a big role in the success of your Bow Hunting Safari in Africa.

The first big factor we always consider first is the moon.
Although some people have good success with a full moon there is a tendency of slower movement at the waterholes during the daytime. The reason for that is animals tend to graze later in the afternoons and at night and will also go for a quick drink maybe just before dark or even later. So to maximize your chances while in Africa I would highly recommend checking that before you set your dates. The best time will be during the dark moon phase of the month.

The second factor is the time of year.
So people will refer to it as before or after the first frost. The reason for that is food availability and nutrient value. Before the first frost, the trees still have all their leaves and the grass is green and plentiful. After the first frost the trees start to lose their leaves and grass loses their nutrient value. In this case, animals are more active at the waterholes to get some extra supplements from the lick blocks and salt blocks that we put out. (The lick blocks help them with basic nutrients and some energy to get through the cold winter and keep their body condition in good shape until the rainy season starts again.) So our first frost is usually somewhere in May depending on the season. The best option will be to look at dates in June and July. August might also be an option, but we do get strong winds in August which may affect animal movement as well. If you are after a big Kudu, May will be your best option because of the rut starting end of April, the beginning of May. Although waterholes might still be slower for other plains game animals.

I hope this is helpful to some of the first-time hunters. Just remember this is only my personal opinion for our area in the Kalahari, it's not necessarily the same for all the areas in Africa. Feel free to add your personal experience.

Note: If you already have a hunt booked during the full moon phase and earlier or later than June/July, don't worry. You will be fine. A lot of people still have good success and I'm sure your Outfitter will have you covered. If you don't have a hunt booked, check the moon and try and get open spots for June/July.

Safe hunting to you all! May your pursuits be filled with thrilling stalks, successful shots, and memorable experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriBenge

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia