Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
DSC Life Member, International Member PHASA
Hunted
Several of the lower 48, Alaska, South Africa, Ireland, Argentina, Peru
We just got back from an 12 day trip (3 days of driving each direction, plus 6 days in the woods) to hunt elk and deer in Northern Idaho..

Long and the short of it is.. after about $6K invested, almost 2 weeks off work, and damn near killing ourselves humping up and down incredibly steep and outrageously dense terrain, we came back empty handed...

and still had the trip of a lifetime..

We started planning this hunt a full year ago in early October 2023, and purchased licenses and tags for both elk and general deer in December 2023 (the out of state license and tag process for Idaho should be an entire thread in and of itself!).. then spent the next 10 months making sure we had the right kit (elk in Idaho isnt the same thing as deer in TX or gemsbok in South Africa), training (started routinely shooting at longer distances with larger caliber rifles.. started taking regular long walks with packs, etc..etc..) and researching...

Our hunt would be a semi DIY affair.. Ive got a good buddy that works in the forestry industry in Idaho that is successful punching his elk tag almost every year.. he spends most of his year walking around in the woods and had a pretty good feel for not only elk habits and habitats, but also is in permanent "scout" mode and is constantly logging patterns, sighting, etc. in his OnX account.. We would rely on him to figure out where we wanted to establish camp, and to tell us where we might have the best probability of success, etc.. but other than that would largely be on our own.. The buddy also has an excellent walled tent, wood burning stove, and other accouterments that make elk camp fairly easy and comfortable to live in, which is nice..

Long and the short of it, we spent roughly 29 hours driving from NTX to N ID (2.5 days).. and really enjoyed the ride.. We took our time and stopped in Sheridan, WY (really nice little downtown area with some great restaurants, etc.. highly recommended), spend some time in Bozeman, and a little time in Mizzoula on our way to camp, and on the way back wandered around Butte, Bozeman, and Colorado Springs a little bit to break up the drive and enjoy those towns...

Where we drew our tags (Units 9 and 10A) and where we ended up putting our camp made for some extremely rough hunting.. camp was at just under 6K in elevation and most of the places we hunted were between 5500-6800 ft.. there were very few meadows and fields, and those few that we found were small in size (the biggest was less than 200 yards square.. most were between 75-100 yards from one end to the other..).. and it seemed everywhere we walked was completely covered in chest high false huckleberry and tons of other undergrowth, not to mention there being huge deadfall trees everywhere as well.. walking in the woods, no matter how hard you tried to stay quiet, just wasnt happening... and hunting in the woods, where IF you managed to get a shot on something was going to be a 20-30 yard snap shot at best I saw very few shots possible past 30 yards in most places.. it was just too thick..).. the steepness of the terrain was also a huge challenge.... one particular trail we found was labeled "Cardiac Trail" in OnX... they werent lying lol.. about 2 miles into walking that trail I thought I was going to cough up a lung lol...

By the end of the 6th day of hunting we had seen exactly 2 whitetail deer (a doe and fawn) that we couldnt get a shot on.. and a couple of black squirrel and a couple of chipmunks.. and that was it.. while there was TONS of sign (poop, tracks, etc) that showed us there were absolutely big bull elk in the area.. luck was not on our side and we never saw one... (we did see multiple mule deer and whitetail deer on the drive in and the drive out of Idaho though.. just never saw any in the field)..

All of that said.. it was an incredible trip.. and honestly, excellent training for our New Zealand hunt we have planned in April 2025 (Southern Alps).. we got to test out a lot of gear to see what works well and what didnt work so well.. the views and vistas were simply outstanding (if youve never been to Northern Idaho, I strongly recommend it.. its breathtakingly beautiful).. and while we were licking our wounds and trying to recharge each night in camp, we had a great time with our friends that joined us for the hunt (2x Idaho locals, and an old Ranger buddy of mine from the DFW area that I deer hunt with regularly)..

On the drive back home I reflected on how many unsuccessful hunts that Ive put a lot of time, money, and effort into... and came to the realization that while Ive sometimes been disappointed in the results, Ive never regretted any of them.. while I'd love to have a freezer full of elk right now.. If someone told me up front that I'd never see one, I'd still get in the truck and do the trip all over again.. we had that great of a time..

Im not sure if we'll make another run at elk in Idaho in 2025.. Im thinking we'll chase them at our little cabin in Southern Colorado next year instead.. but Im not done with Idaho for sure... my guess is we'll try again in 2026..

Idaho 1.jpg

Idaho 2.jpg

Idaho 3.jpg

Idaho 4.jpg

My best unsuccessful hunt was brown bear in SE Alaska. Outfitter and guide put in 100% and I saw some amazing country, but spring just came too early that year and bears weren’t on the tide flats. I enjoy the adventure of hunts, but even DIY hunts out of state are expensive. Between the unpaid time off work and costs to get there and do hunt, I think guide and outfitter is better option for the money spent (and income lost).

Congratulations on your well earned tag soup.

I had a great elk hunt in Arizona for 2020 despite not ever having a chance at a shot. We had cow tags, and the only elk in bow range was a huge bull at 15 yards.

Last edited:
but even DIY hunts out of state are expensive. Between the unpaid time off work and costs to get there and do hunt, I think guide and outfitter is better option for the money spent (and income lost).

Absolutely true on the expense.. between the out of state licenses and tags we were $3K in as soon as we logged off the State of Idaho website.. fuel and hotels for the trip up and back were well over $1K.. then we invested another couple of grand into gear that we didnt have.. Im being pretty conservative with a $6K investment.. Ive done a few international hunts that were cheaper than that with the cost of flights included..

In hindsight hiring a guide would have probably brought our success rate up significantly.. we thought since my buddy works in forestry and knows the land well, knows elk well, etc.. that he would be all the "guide" we needed.. but when it came down to it, he really knows the land within a 50 mile radius of his house.. but was just as green as we were when it came to the place we were hunting last week.. he certainly knows more about elk and elk hunting than we will ever know.. but if you dont know even where to start in terms of finding them, the knowledge he has only holds limited value...

Unfortunately 6k will not buy 1 person a guided elk hunt these days too many places and you would still need the licenses and drive on top of the guide fee. Don’t give up, just try again.

Glad you had a great trip despite the lack of game and tags still in your pocket, I did see though on another post that you were successful in snagging some good Schnee's boots when you came through Bozeman the other day. Wish I had known you were coming through Bozeman and I would have bought you a beer for your effort! Better luck next time, give Montana elk hunting a try some time, we have some dandies! This was my 342" 7x7 bull from 2022. It was an outfitted hunt I should say.

AC5E3E21-B9CC-47E9-9E60-37E66C4BAFE6_1_105_c.jpeg

F82EAD35-0278-4A96-A8E6-E9CC40858AD4_1_105_c.jpeg

To be honest, for me, every hunt is about enjoying everything; every sense heightened, every sighting analysed, every gust of wind checked, every approach calculated, every extraction considered, every campfire enjoyed. This is the 9/10 soul food. The freezer fill is the 1/10.
FN

I know plenty of people that don’t fill tags and continue to make the same effort. I’ve done it. I was with a friend in NV, who had a mule deer tag in a great area and we were seeing 170 and 180 class mule deer. I asked him his thoughts while we were glassing from the truck. He said “I already have a 205, I’ll wait”. Tag went unfilled… He knew there was an over 200” Mule deer in that zone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corey0123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia