Bringing/Shipping Mounts into Kenya

FloridaManActual

Reaction score
While I know hunting and taxidermy of wildlife is illegal in Kenya, does anyone know what the rules are on bringing finished mounts/taxidermy into the country? I will be living in Nairobi but hunting all over Africa as well as moving mounts/taxidermy I already have to Nairobi with me. I am new to hunting in Africa and any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Hi bud, have absolutely no idea on this but bloody interested in what you are doing there, I have been in Kenya/ Nairobi a few times, way back & again in the last few years, it was awful then & worse now I felt, the Chinese are all over & animals are less & less !

I think a lot would depend on what mounts/animal parts (ie African or USA trophies) you are thinking of taking there, if you are never going home then Ok but if you haven’t been there much or stayed a long time I’d hold off till well established, you also can check with Wildlife/Game Department while there ?

Kenya is very strict on animal parts & you won’t find Any Kenyan wildlife products for sale, so they might be difficult on all wildlife products.

I had bags & bags of animal parts when I went back through Kenya from Zim, I left them in the transit storage till I left the country - that was circa 1988 things were a little easier then .

How about a good source to find a reliable answer?

I’d start with the US Embassy… maybe talk with the commerce attache… he’s probably not the right guy.. but should know who to point you to… get them to give you a legal opinion and also give you contacts within the Kenyan govt that would be involved in the import of trophies as well as law enforcement related to trophies…

I’ve got an office (single employee) in Kenya.. Eric (employee) knows nothing about hunting.. but when you get to Nairobbery he can probably put you in touch with local police commanders and I’d guess he knows someone at the airport as well if that helps… I’m happy to “introduce” you to him if you think he might be of any assistance…

While I know hunting and taxidermy of wildlife is illegal in Kenya, does anyone know what the rules are on bringing finished mounts/taxidermy into the country? I will be living in Nairobi but hunting all over Africa as well as moving mounts/taxidermy I already have to Nairobi with me. I am new to hunting in Africa and any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
I also work in Kenya and hunt all around Africa, and you can not bring mounts into Kenya sadly. I wasn't even allowed to bring in a silly zebra rug purchased at the airport in Jo burg. With that said, I have seen some mounts here and there at friends homes around the country. perhaps they are old or antique. On a side note I wear Courtney Elephant boots and kind of laugh to myself as I go in an out of Kenya. :-)

Hey Sarg,

Thanks for the reply and info. Ha! I am going for work, it wasn’t necessarily my first pick of African locations but it definitely wasn’t my last and I’m excited to get there. Everything I would be bringing with me would be a US animal so I’ll be sure to clarify those differences when asking upon my arrival. Thanks!
Hi bud, have absolutely no idea on this but bloody interested in what you are doing there, I have been in Kenya/ Nairobi a few times, way back & again in the last few years, it was awful then & worse now I felt, the Chinese are all over & animals are less & less !

I think a lot would depend on what mounts/animal parts (ie African or USA trophies) you are thinking of taking there, if you are never going home then Ok but if you haven’t been there much or stayed a long time I’d hold off till well established, you also can check with Wildlife/Game Department while there ?

Kenya is very strict on animal parts & you won’t find Any Kenyan wildlife products for sale, so they might be difficult on all wildlife products.

I had bags & bags of animal parts when I went back through Kenya from Zim, I left them in the transit storage till I left the country - that was circa 1988 things were a little easier then .

I’d start with the US Embassy… maybe talk with the commerce attache… he’s probably not the right guy.. but should know who to point you to… get them to give you a legal opinion and also give you contacts within the Kenyan govt that would be involved in the import of trophies as well as law enforcement related to trophies…

I’ve got an office (single employee) in Kenya.. Eric (employee) knows nothing about hunting.. but when you get to Nairobbery he can probably put you in touch with local police commanders and I’d guess he knows someone at the airport as well if that helps… I’m happy to “introduce” you to him if you think he might be of any assistance…
I agree, the embassy is definitely on my list of places to ask around for info. “Nairobbery”…I love it! I appreciate the offer and will likely take you up on that. I’ll send you a message when I get in country, I’ll take all the contacts and information I can get. Thanks!

I also work in Kenya and hunt all around Africa, and you can not bring mounts into Kenya sadly. I wasn't even allowed to bring in a silly zebra rug purchased at the airport in Jo burg. With that said, I have seen some mounts here and there at friends homes around the country. perhaps they are old or antique. On a side note I wear Courtney Elephant boots and kind of laugh to myself as I go in an out of Kenya. :-)
Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info. I’d love to pick your brain and get some pro tips about what you’ve done, locations/companies etc. I’ll be the first to admit this is my first step into Africa hunting so I’m eager to learn everything I can.

Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info. I’d love to pick your brain and get some pro tips about what you’ve done, locations/companies etc. I’ll be the first to admit this is my
Hey Jason,

Thanks for the info. I’d love to pick your brain and get some pro tips about what you’ve done, locations/companies etc. I’ll be the first to admit this is my first step into Africa hunting so I’m eager to learn everything I can.
Awesome, what part of Nairobi will you be living? I'm in the states now heading Elk Hunting Friday and here until jan 1st.. I have been working there the past 7 years so will be glad to help in anyway, its a cool city to be in, however you have to head to Tanzania, Uganda, or Ethiopia for some hunting. I will PM you my number, call text anytime and I am on whatsapp/

Skip lunch one day and go there hungry in the evening…

You’ll thank me later :)

Definitely my favorite expat trap restaurant in Nairobi

Why not contacting directly Kenya customs office?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamikaMayb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia