Culling belts and cartridge slides

Sorry for the continued thread hi jack. G'day Mark which of the Trijicon's do you have. Mine is a 1.25-4 green picket post.
G’day Greg, mine is the 1-4 with orange dot #4.

Thanks (y)

The Trijicons seem like a good option. Shame they are almost impossible to buy in Aus these days.
The ones you can buy nowadays are a 1-4 and about 4" of eye relief the earlier ones like I have a 5" eye relief. They are also a very rugged scope.

The ones you can buy nowadays are a 1-4 and about 4" of eye relief the earlier ones like I have a 5" eye relief. They are also a very rugged scope.
5" eye relief would be ideal. Seems most scopes in the 1-4 1-6 range are built for the AR/223 market, so eye relief has come way down on most offerings.

Phillip you got enough bullets there?.....planning on starting a war.... :E Big Grin:
When hunting Tuskless you can literally get into a war! Seriously with the light weight Trader Keith belt you don't really notice all the weight of the ammo. If I had worn a traditional leather culling belt it would have been quite heavy with that much ammo.

This thread nudged me into making a few orders from Els and also Jacques Tredoux for comparison.

First let me make clear, both make excellent quality products. Any preference really is mostly subjective. After an initial order from each maker, I made a followup order from Jacques Tredoux for a few more things. So interpret that as you may, but both are excellent.

I needed a new shaving kit, so gave Jacques’ leather kit a try. It is excellent, large, roomy, and well constructed. Definitely worthy of a mention and recommendation.

Pouches with the leopard are made by Jacques Tredoux. He offers a choice of initials, elephant, Cape Buffalo, leopard, and kudu. I think he also perhaps offers custom laser work, but not sure about that. Tredoux’s work are the four on the right with the leopard.

The Els products, the two on the left, have Els’ logo.

Tredoux uses a bit heavier and stiffer grade of leather with some nice trim on it. Els’ leather is stout and high quality too.

Both use leather retaining loops inside. So they should last longer than elastic loops.

IMG_0612.jpeg

IMG_0609.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

When hunting Tuskless you can literally get into a war! Seriously with the light weight Trader Keith belt you don't really notice all the weight of the ammo. If I had worn a traditional leather culling belt it would have been quite heavy with that much ammo.
Phil, I have used the Trader Keith culling belt for a very long time. I can put a few rounds of .470 or xtra rounds. Fortunately once upon a time in the Zambezi valley it was full.

One other quality you can can cut the belt tonque stitching and move it out to compensate for drinking to many Castle’s.

Murray Leather Cartridge Belt with leather loops. It will hold anything based on the 375H&H (like the 257WBY or even 458LOTT) equally well.

View attachment 556094

I have this same Murray Leather Cartridge Belt except I have the version with the elastic loops. Fits me well and I take it on all my safaris.

for my Jacques Tredoux products. The belts were stiff. Using Lexol and flexing,twisting, working the leather isn’t gotten very supply. I also wear the culling belt during practice to shape it to my hips. It’s much better than when new. I did this with my everyday pants belt also.

I’ll take my culling belt and my cotton belt with slides

Murray Leather Cartridge Belt with leather loops. It will hold anything based on the 375H&H (like the 257WBY or even 458LOTT) equally well.

View attachment 556094
Nice ammo Belt - looks great and the leather looks strong enough to Tow-a-truck !

While hunting mule deer in the sandhills of West Texas for 26 years, have noticed many times friends stainless barrels shining from long distances - have since gotten rid of all of my stainless - was very noticeable even at very long distances
EYEdok, I also don’t care for the “shine” of stainless but the function and carefree advantage is a “plus” on some hunts. Since I find most stainless rifles or MZ “ugly” anyway — I run a strip of soft camo tape down the barrel when I hunt with it….then remove the tape when putting it away after the season. It makes the rifle look bad - but it was never a Prom Queen to start with ! (PS - I’d NEVER do this to one of my nicely blued/wood stocked rifles)

As a leather-worker I’m always interested in seeing what leather gear folks enjoy and their philosophy of use. There may be another thread where this has already hashed out, but if not.

What is your favorite culling belt/cartridge slide and why?

Hope everyone is doing well. God bless!
Murray Custom Leather ammo carriers for everything up to my .450/400. They are the best and most practical that I know of.When I am using the double I have a Trader Keith culling belt that is very light weight.

If I can't kill a buffalo with four 400 grain 404 Jeffery in the gun and five on the belt, I guess I deserve to be stomped to death. I can see no sense in carrying fifteen rounds in the field. My five round ammo wallet is made of Cape buffalo leather.
View attachment 567587
This Cape buffalo hide ammo slide was designed for 375 but with a bit of effort I made it work for 404J. Oiled it liberally, heating it with hair dryer between coats. Then I forced 404 cartridges into the loops upside down to stretch them top to bottom. The loops just lightly grasp cartridges. Best part is it only cost $30! Stitching is very stout and buffalo hide is like armor plate. Maybe not real glamorous but this slide will do the job and should last several lifetimes. The maker is African Game Industries Inc. They have a huge product line of stuff made from African animal leather and their prices are very reasonable. Find them on ebay. Oh, and they advertise as made in USA. They also make ten-round slides, ammo wallets, skeet bags, etc.

for my Jacques Tredoux products. The belts were stiff. Using Lexol and flexing,twisting, working the leather isn’t gotten very supply. I also wear the culling belt during practice to shape it to my hips. It’s much better than when new. I did this with my everyday pants belt also.

I’ll take my culling belt and my cotton belt with slides
I actually like the stiffness of the leather he uses. fwiw - I wear a very stiff double thick western Ranger belt or else a Wilderness Instructor brlt with a plastic insert to make it rigid. I carry a full size pistol and the stiffness keeps everything in place.

You cannot go wrong using anything Murray makes

After a lifetime of trying various brands and styles, including a couple of terrible ones of my own design and stitching, this Murray Leather cartridge belt remains my all time favorite.
It is cattle leather (bullhide ?), very pliable and comfortable, handy, etc. yet tough as nails.

Also, just as others here have already said, I’ve never figured out why some makers place their loops on the left side of their products, when the world is primarily right handed.

That makes absolutely no sense to me.
But I guess it’s just one if those mysteries that shall remain unsolved in my tiny little brain.

IMG_9164.png
IMG_9163.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RenaLemmon

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia