Custom 550 Magnum

I spent part of a day in ca with a guy who may be or had something with the beginning of mrc. At that time it was just the actions for sale. That failed sometime in the early 90s. It seems to me they were built off shore some where. It may have also have been in the late 80s. I guess I need to check the history. What area are you from now not before.
My point was that is the person who built the 470 Royal. My train of thought ran off the tracks. Anyway that was his last name Royal. Have you heard of him with anything to do with Montana actions?

So I came to this group looking for Safari information and data about a project 505 Gibbs I was already in the process of building. Krish suggests to me that I should look into the 550 magnum before I leap on the 505 Gibbs. Well, that ship had already sailed, having already ordered the barrel and brass.

That being said, he perked my curiosity. I looked into it and he was right. It was a cartridge I would be interested in. However, one of the brass manufacturers was no longer making any casings, one of the bullet maker had passed away, the barrel makers did not have a reamer and could not rent a reamer to make the barrel. There were obstacles!! I am not says I have over come all of them, but I have resolved enough of them to have the gun made.

In order to sort this out Krish provided me with the number for Neal Shirley who was the developer of this cartridge. Neal got me pointed in all the right direction and I took off on a journey.

I contacted Mansons and they are manufacturing a new 550 magnum reamer for me, and PacNor will make the barrel once I send them the reamer. I purchased several CZ550 actions from Wayne at on American Hunting Rifles, I am having reloading dies made by CH4D tool and die, bullet made by Hawk and Neal had some of the Alaska bullets (eventually I'm hoping to mess around with cast bullets and paper patching), properly head stamped brass by Quality Cartridge plus Neal also had some of the original run of Jameson 550 brass, and I bought 100 pieces of 460 Weather to try and form as well. Still need a good stock, and I think some casting equipment and I might be getting close. Maybe reloading data as well. There is a small amount of data out there, but not alot. I think I am currently limited to H1000 an maybe one other powder. If anyone has some data they would like share I would really appreciate it.

The 505 Gibbs project is still proceeding forward as well. I still have some challenges with it, but mostly I'm concerned about producing safely loaded cartridges. Krish had mentioned case filling, and that is a whole new aspect of reloading that I was not prepared for. All of this is compounded by the fact that I live in Alaska and finding powder and primers can be challenging, finding a specific powder can sometimes be impossible. So I have been hitting up the gun shows looking for reliading supplies.

Anyway, If there is any interest in these projects let me know and I'll try and keep you posted.

So I came to this group looking for Safari information and data about a project 505 Gibbs I was already in the process of building. Krish suggests to me that I should look into the 550 magnum before I leap on the 505 Gibbs. Well, that ship had already sailed, having already ordered the barrel and brass.

That being said, he perked my curiosity. I looked into it and he was right. It was a cartridge I would be interested in. However, one of the brass manufacturers was no longer making any casings, one of the bullet maker had passed away, the barrel makers did not have a reamer and could not rent a reamer to make the barrel. There were obstacles!! I am not says I have over come all of them, but I have resolved enough of them to have the gun made.

In order to sort this out Krish provided me with the number for Neal Shirley who was the developer of this cartridge. Neal got me pointed in all the right direction and I took off on a journey.

I contacted Mansons and they are manufacturing a new 550 magnum reamer for me, and PacNor will make the barrel once I send them the reamer. I purchased several CZ550 actions from Wayne at on American Hunting Rifles, I am having reloading dies made by CH4D tool and die, bullet made by Hawk and Neal had some of the Alaska bullets (eventually I'm hoping to mess around with cast bullets and paper patching), properly head stamped brass by Quality Cartridge plus Neal also had some of the original run of Jameson 550 brass, and I bought 100 pieces of 460 Weather to try and form as well. Still need a good stock, and I think some casting equipment and I might be getting close. Maybe reloading data as well. There is a small amount of data out there, but not alot. I think I am currently limited to H1000 an maybe one other powder. If anyone has some data they would like share I would really appreciate it.

The 505 Gibbs project is still proceeding forward as well. I still have some challenges with it, but mostly I'm concerned about producing safely loaded cartridges. Krish had mentioned case filling, and that is a whole new aspect of reloading that I was not prepared for. All of this is compounded by the fact that I live in Alaska and finding powder and primers can be challenging, finding a specific powder can sometimes be impossible. So I have been hitting up the gun shows looking for reliading supplies.

Anyway, If there is any interest in these projects let me know and I'll try and keep you posted.
Cutting edge bullets make various.550 bullets.
Krish
Screenshot_20241024_024546_Chrome.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MireyaSgh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia