First trip to Africa and 1st International Hunt

One suggestion is to have two 4457's, one in your name and one in your wife's. List her rifle and shotgun on hers and your rifles and shotguns on yours. Get two SAP's 520 import permits, one in her name and one in yours. Have your wife carry the ammo for her rifle in her suitcase and likewise your ammo in yours. With only allowed 11 lbs of ammo per person yours is going to add up real quick with those two rifles, if you try to combine them you will be over the maximum before you know it.

This could be a whole new thread, @Justin D. has me fired up about shooting waterfowl in Limpopo next August, I have 2 days scheduled for bird hunting but all of the information I can get on seasons is conflicting. It looks like each province has different seasons as expected but it looks like ducks/geese go out on July 31. But dove pigeon is all year and upland goes out at the end of September. My original plan was just guinee and frankolin, but Justin got me thinking which is dangerous for me.

My outfitter is out of pocket for a while and don’t want to bother him on vacation. But he did say last time we talked that August was near the end of the season.

This could be a whole new thread, @Justin D. has me fired up about shooting waterfowl in Limpopo next August, I have 2 days scheduled for bird hunting but all of the information I can get on seasons is conflicting. It looks like each province has different seasons as expected but it looks like ducks/geese go out on July 31. But dove pigeon is all year and upland goes out at the end of September. My original plan was just guinee and frankolin, but Justin got me thinking which is dangerous for me.

My outfitter is out of pocket for a while and don’t want to bother him on vacation. But he did say last time we talked that August was near the end of the season.
The reason I wanted August is I viewed it like here in the states. If you want prime specimens for the wall, you want to shoot them at the end of the season. That's why I chose August for the best opportunities for prime birds for the wall without pin feathers and slippage while at the taxidermist. It at least made sense in my mind. LOL

Understand the rules. Weights of luggage to include ammo, carry copies of your permits, rules for rifles permitted to be used only by the permit holder - these need to be observed. It’s not just getting your rifles there, it’s getting them back.

AirTags with all you gear cases and luggage.

Depending on the airline, there could be a declaration form. Check with the airline. I’ve flown multiple airlines and my Sept trip with Emirates required a form to be filled out, which was simple and made the process really easy. At every check in the agent had my information and my rifles checked all the way through to my final destination. Much better than a recheck in Atlanta... Or delay risks with Delta! Yes, significant PIA with Delta -2 separate trips! Plenty of people will confirm and even recently.

My concern was shotgun shells. @LivingTheDream and I hunted in Zambia. Used camp guns and local ammo. The shotgun shells were renamed shitshells by us after watching pellets bounce off of Guinea hens. So my suggestion is don't overload on rifle ammo and take as many shotgun shells as you can fit within the 11 lb limit for both you and your wife. Hopefully your outfitter can find some good quality shells for you to buy from him.
Your .300 will do fine on the eland. Leave the .375 and it's hefty ammo home. Then use that weight savings in shotgun shells.
Good luck and be sure to post a report on your return.
Bruce

The reason I wanted August is I viewed it like here in the states. If you want prime specimens for the wall, you want to shoot them at the end of the season. That's why I chose August for the best opportunities for prime birds for the wall without pin feathers and slippage while at the taxidermist. It at least made sense in my mind. LOL
That’s how I look at my waterfowling trips also, I did the Canada thing a couple of times and got a little tired of shooting “ugly” ducks. That’s a great thing about waterfowling in the south end of the flyway. Beautiful birds on the strap, prime on the table and on the wall. Even though the birds can get pretty spooky in the last days of January.

Sounds like you may have a pretty good collection in the making! Who are you going to get to mount your birds from Africa?

That’s how I look at my waterfowling trips also, I did the Canada thing a couple of times and got a little tired of shooting “ugly” ducks. That’s a great thing about waterfowling in the south end of the flyway. Beautiful birds on the strap, prime on the table and on the wall. Even though the birds can get pretty spooky in the last days of January.

Sounds like you may have a pretty good collection in the making! Who are you going to get to mount your birds from Africa?
I'm hoping Shane Smith will have some room for new clients. I've contacted him but just waiting to hear back from him.

I'll most likely have the big game done in country and then shipped home already complete and ready to hang on the wall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YVONDAVID

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia