Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Puro pinche low fence hunting, Anglo SCI
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
My buddy bought a ruger #1 .243 24inch barrel that is a absolute laser
So it got me thinking “ you need a .243 again “ ( I probably don’t)
But I found a

Remington 700 CDL .243 - 24”, Talley Rings, and with Carbon Fiber stock​

And a interarms .243 old classic of unknown accuracy ( nice wood in classic look)

What to do? Laser & ugly or classic and pray it’s a winner

Imo a .243 needs a 24 barrel and they seem to be hard to find nowadays ( 22 are dime a dozen)
IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_1033.jpeg

That rem would probably be accurate like you say.
But that stock is to ugly haha.

There are lots of older Sakos in 243 on gunbroker.
Check them out. I have an old 60’s forester in 243.
Shoots cheap fed to and inch and likes
95 grain bergers even more. Accurate rifles

Here is just one example

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1071183554

The rifle only has to please you. They are quite different so a decision should be an easy one.

I would go with the Interarms, yes Remington can make an accurate rifle but there have also been some real quality control issues for long production periods.

It’s a pretty vs practical debate.

I like the look of a traditional blued timber hunting rifle but I also think the stainless and synthetic have merits.

I would go with the Interarms, yes Remington can make an accurate rifle but there have also been some real quality control issues for long production periods.
This was a great question I had with the owner if he had any QC problems
And accuracy isn’t a issue
IMG_1037.jpeg

This was a great question I had with the owner if he had any QC problems
And accuracy isn’t a issue View attachment 641007

Yep accuracy was never an issue, especially with my 700 Sendero in .300Wby made in 2002

However I have seen....

Fire when taken off safety - Ranch hands new in box 700 in .300win

Improper head space - Highschool buddies brand new 700 in 7mag was blowing primers out of the casing 100% of the time with factory corelok ammo.

Failure to extract - I've seen several 700's straight out of the box fail to extract the empty casing when the bolt was pulled back.

Bombs Away! - I've been in the blind with 2 different clients when they fired at a deer and the magazine floor plate would fly open and drop the remaining live rounds out.

I have a Tikka T3X Super Lite in 243 Win and it is an absolute tack driver with the load I worked up for it, Barnes 80gr TTSX.
It is very light, easy to carry and an absolute joy to shoot.
I have been historically a Remington fan (the older 700’s, 721’s and 722’s) and this is the first Tikka I have owned. I am very impressed with it. Another one I ventured away from Remington with is the CZ527 Varmint. I have it in the 17 REM and cannot remember if they made it in the 243 Win but if so I would check them out as well.

My buddy bought a ruger #1 .243 24inch barrel that is a absolute laser
So it got me thinking “ you need a .243 again “ ( I probably don’t)
But I found a

Remington 700 CDL .243 - 24”, Talley Rings, and with Carbon Fiber stock​

And a interarms .243 old classic of unknown accuracy ( nice wood in classic look)

What to do? Laser & ugly or classic and pray it’s a winner

Imo a .243 needs a 24 barrel and they seem to be hard to find nowadays ( 22 are dime a dozen)
View attachment 640819View attachment 640820

Why not buy a Ruger No 1 like your buddy did?

I actually own two 243's that are based on the (Zastava) Interarms Mark X action; one is a Remington 798 with the standard length action and 22" barrel, and the other is a semi-custom build on a Mark X long action and a 24" barrel from an unknown maker. Both shoot and function well, and I think you would be happy with the classic look and feel of the Mark X you are evaluating. That being said, the Remington is probably the better shooter (although the Mark X's can pretty easily be sub-MOA guns).

I"ll add my vote to look at a vintage Sako L579 or a Ruger No. 1 like your buddy's. My Browning Safari Grade (built with the Browning-specific Sako L579 action) is a very well made, nice handling, and sweet shooting 243. I don't have a No. 1 in 243, but the ones I have in 223 and 270 Win are tack drivers, and good investments.

Two other options I would consider are a Browning A-Bolt (I or II) in 243, or perhaps a current production Tikka. There are also a lot of other good ones out there like Bergara, Ruger M77's, Winchester, etc.

243WIN would be a pretty easy rebarrel to 308WIN if you were so inclined, which isn't really giving much input seeing as both rifles are chambered the same.

Go with your heart, no one here has answers like the ones that come from deep inside you.

243WIN would be a pretty easy rebarrel to 308WIN if you were so inclined, which isn't really giving much input seeing as both rifles are chambered the same.

Go with your heart, no one here has answers like the ones that come from deep inside you.
If he goes with a Blaser it would be very easy to re-barrel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahWo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia