Inertia or Gas Drive Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Inertia or Gas

• Total voters
As noted in my post above, I have both. I've never had an issue with the switch on the side of the receiver of the Maxus flipping on its own or catching on things. The only problem it's ever caused is about once every 2 years, I'll forget I have it engaged and will try to load a shell in the magazine, which gets partially stuck but I can pry it out fairly quickly.

The new A5 also has this feature, but with a different design. Instead of a cutoff lever on the side, it has a button on the bottom of receiver, just in front of the trigger guard. Effectively, the magazine only allows a shell to cycle when the round in the chamber is fired. If you just work the bolt, it will eject the chambered round but not release a new shell from magazine unless you push the button first. A bit weird initially, but works well once you figure it out.

My favorite feature of Browning shotguns (someone else mentioned it in this thread, too) is the auto-load function. When empty and the bolt is locked back, you can simple load a shell into the magazine and it automatically cycles into the chamber and is ready to fire. I've used that many times as a "party trick" at the range shooting clays; if I happen to miss my 2nd shot, I grab a shell from the pouch and load it in fast enough to get a 3rd shot. (No, I don't count this if in real competition shoots. I only do it for fun and to show off a little.)
The only drawback to Browning autoload function is cleaning. Reassembling my A5's two-piece follower is quite the trick. Been doing it for twenty years and still a recipe for frustration every time.

As noted in my post above, I have both. I've never had an issue with the switch on the side of the receiver of the Maxus flipping on its own or catching on things. The only problem it's ever caused is about once every 2 years, I'll forget I have it engaged and will try to load a shell in the magazine, which gets partially stuck but I can pry it out fairly quickly.

The new A5 also has this feature, but with a different design. Instead of a cutoff lever on the side, it has a button on the bottom of receiver, just in front of the trigger guard. Effectively, the magazine only allows a shell to cycle when the round in the chamber is fired. If you just work the bolt, it will eject the chambered round but not release a new shell from magazine unless you push the button first. A bit weird initially, but works well once you figure it out.

My favorite feature of Browning shotguns (someone else mentioned it in this thread, too) is the auto-load function. When empty and the bolt is locked back, you can simple load a shell into the magazine and it automatically cycles into the chamber and is ready to fire. I've used that many times as a "party trick" at the range shooting clays; if I happen to miss my 2nd shot, I grab a shell from the pouch and load it in fast enough to get a 3rd shot. (No, I don't count this if in real competition shoots. I only do it for fun and to show off a little.)
My friend showed me that “trick” when he first picked up the Maxus…pretty cool.

On the SBE3 (and the 2), if there is a shell in the chamber and a full magazine..you can pull the bolt to the rear to eject the shell in the chamber and load a different one that’s not from the magazine. Now the bolt doesn’t lock to the rear when doing this so you have to hold the bolt back while you load, but it’s pretty easy. Did it a few times this past season to switch from a goose load to turkey because of the extended range offered.

Not sure how other shotguns operate but they think that process is pretty standard. I think the button/lever on the Brownings is just to lock the bolt to the rear when unloading the chamber only.

On the SBE3 (and the 2), if there is a shell in the chamber and a full magazine..you can pull the bolt to the rear to eject the shell in the chamber and load a different one that’s not from the magazine. Now the bolt doesn’t lock to the rear when doing this so you have to hold the bolt back while you load, but it’s pretty easy. Did it a few times this past season to switch from a goose load to turkey because of the extended range offered.

Not sure how other shotguns operate but they think that process is pretty standard. I think the button/lever on the Brownings is just to lock the bolt to the rear when unloading the chamber only.
Geese must be shot with nontoxic and turkeys usually killed with lead. Are you shooting geese with lead shot turkey loads?

We started with Berettas years ago when out oldest son started shooting clays with our local 4H club. Starting off in 3rd grade we needed a gun that would have little recoil for the little guys. The families that brought one of dads pump guns didn't stick with it long. Some started with 20g Berettas but we quickly found that with lighter loads we could put these kids directly into a 12g. My son went on to medal at state a few times in trap and I coached some of the kids in the club.
Since then we have acquired probably more that half a dozen Beretta auto shotguns. Most recently that A400 in camo like you have for my youngest son (left hand as he is left eye dominant).
I know and respect the reliability of Benelli. You will not see any out on the sporting clays range however in my experience.
As I have illustrated the Beretta is superior in terms of recoil. I don't understand how the fore end seems so bulky to you. I guess I'll have to go grab the Benelli defense shotgun I have to compare and see what you are talking about.
Good discussion!

If you have a Benelli M4 it is gas driven, it has dual piston setup. I find it to be very reliable. Also have an A400 Extreme, mine has not been as used as some I am reading about in here. It has about 1700 rds on it since it was last cleaned. No failures to report. I don't normally go that long just wanted to test the gun out.

Originally purchased the Beretta because off the recoil system. I do enjoy shooting it.

All that said, I would like to try a nice over/under that was fitted to see how much better it could be.

+1 for the old school Auto 5 12 Guage magnum. It kills geese and ducks pretty well. I shot this greater at 80 yards using 3 inch heavy hammer and a Colonial full choke. Please ask me for proof from the witnesses! Lol Gun is a Belgian receiver and all matching parts except for the Japanese invector barrel and ram line stocks. My brother uses the SBE3 to great effect as well.
Screenshot_20231018_110913_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231018_110921_Facebook.jpg

Geese must be shot with nontoxic and turkeys usually killed with lead. Are you shooting geese with lead shot turkey loads?
I’m well aware of the ammo requirements for waterfowl. I’m using Federal Premium Heavyweight TSS 7 shot, 2.25 oz for turkey and the occasional goose (sitting still) at 60+ yards.

Patterns in post #36. :cool:

Last edited:
You guys and your A5's making me jealous.

My BIL has his dads A5 with a buck barrel. I asked to look at it a couple weeks ago to see if it was a magnum or light so I could keep an eye out for a bird barrel. Indeed it is a magnum and he has never shot it and doesn't really seem to want to. I don't understand.

My BIL has his dads A5 with a buck barrel. I asked to look at it a couple weeks ago to see if it was a magnum or light so I could keep an eye out for a bird barrel. Indeed it is a magnum and he has never shot it and doesn't really seem to want to. I don't understand.
I had a Belgian Brownig A5 16 bore and I felt like it beat me up shooting it. Sold it and moved on. Maybe your friend needs to sell that A5 to you!!!

Reactions: CJW

A5 magnum barrels with choke tubes bring a premium. Very, very hard to find. Fixed full choke magnum barrels are a dime a dozen but can't do anything with them but shoot trap and turkeys.

I had a Belgian Brownig A5 16 bore and I felt like it beat me up shooting it. Sold it and moved on. Maybe your friend needs to sell that A5 to you!!!
I can set my 3" magnum A5 to shoot as soft as any gas gun. If adjusted properly it shoots so soft at trap or skeet I'm constantly checking to make sure the shell ejected and wasn't a dud! My guess is your gun didn't have the friction ring set up properly ... or someone took it out altogether which is not uncommon.

I’m well aware of the ammo requirements for waterfowl. I’m using Federal Premium Heavyweight TSS 7 shot, 2.25 oz for turkey and the occasional goose (sitting still) at 60+ yards.

Patterns in post #36. :cool:
I'm sure you see why I was scratching my head. Most of us mere mortals don't hunt geese with ammo that costs $18 per shell.

A5 magnum barrels with choke tubes bring a premium. Very, very hard to find. Fixed full choke magnum barrels are a dime a dozen but can't do anything with them but shoot trap and turkeys.

If you find some of those dime a dozen magnum barrels let me know. From what I've seen the fixed choke magnum barrels are at least $300. I saw some magnum barrels on GI but they don't say if they're for an A5.

A fixed full would be fine. Bismuth likes to be choked tight.

But like I said he doesn't really seem interested in shooting it anyways.

Even if it sits and rots he won't. Maybe one of my nephews will be in interested in it one day.

I'm sure you see why I was scratching my head. Most of us mere mortals don't hunt geese with ammo that costs $18 per shell.
I bought it at lass than $5/shell and have at least 150 or so. ;)

Pre-pandemic pricing.

If you find some of those dime a dozen magnum barrels let me know. From what I've seen the fixed choke magnum barrels are at least $300. I saw some magnum barrels on GI but they don't say if they're for an A5.

A fixed full would be fine. Bismuth likes to be choked tight.

But like I said he doesn't really seem interested in shooting it anyways.
I can find fixed full A5 shotguns for sale much cheaper than just the barrels. Pick up one of those, swap the barrel with your dad's gun, and then resell it. Three years ago a primer mysteriously blew up in my A5 magnum when shooting clays (mysterious because only the primer blew up, powder was untouched). A piece of the primer got caught in a bolt rail and tore a chunk out. Though it was still functional, the gap left next to the bolt could catch debris. So I found an older A5 magnum with fixed full on GunPost for $400. It was well used but receiver was not in bad shape. I swapped receivers and resold it ... for $500! Interesting that the trigger group in this 1961 receiver would not accept my 1972 gun's aftermarket plastic stock. The finger tang is at a different angle. So I swapped trigger groups too.

I like TFL with Steve Gould. He has some really good insight. Surviving Duck Season is another really good shotgun channel.

I haven't seen one with the A400 vs the SBE3...not sure he did that one yet. If he did, send me a link and I'll check it out.
My bad. He did a review of the A400 Extreme Plus about 2 years ago. The comparison was the A400 vs. a Browing A5 I think.

My bad. He did a review of the A400 Extreme Plus about 2 years ago. The comparison was the A400 vs. a Browing A5 I think.
He's done a bunch of those and I do like them, but he does lean towards gas guns and that's fine. It's what he's been shooting the majority of his life. Especially since he was sponsored by Winchester and having extensive time on the SX platform doing trick shooting. A quick tally of some of his reviews...

Browning Maxus II over the Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus.
Browning Maxus II over the Benelli SBE3.
Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus over the Browning A5.
Franchi Affinity 3 over the Winchester SX4.
Beretta A400 Xcel over the SKB RS300.
Winchester SX4 over the Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus (Beretta lost points for price, or it would have won).
Winchester SX4 over the Browning Maxus II (Browning lost points for price or it would have won).
Beretta A300 Ultima over the Winchester SX4, which he flip-flopped on a year later picking the SX4.

I'll let others decide if they see a trend...:unsure:

Button on right side of receiver releases the bolt locked open on empty chamber. The lever on left side of the receiver locks out the magazine and makes the gun single shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SangFindle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia