New "classic" .318 Westley Richards?

All right then, how about for a mix of it all, doing a 318-06?
You could then say you were using the correct projectiles, in an easy to find action with easy to find brass and probably be able to reload cost effectively with a modified die and expander etc. No need for speshy expensive dies. New barrel notwithstanding of course.

This has been a great thread to read and dream. Just checked and CH4D has .318 dies in stock…not sure how many. If you had two actions to build on, which would you choose for a .318 WR build….a 1909 Argentine or a Dumoulin action? I have been looking at RJ Renner as well. Any idea how much he would charge to take an action and wood blank and create a rifle? It looks like he will do an Old African style with a model 70 for around $3,500. I imagine it would be a bit more starting from a stock blank.

My vote would be for the 1909 Argentine (I'm biased). You can't go wrong with either.

I've never spoken to RJ but I'd guess that most of his work is semi-custom. Sounds like you are leaning full custom. There are few gunsmiths out there that lean traditional. One is Matt Roberts with MNR Custom. He does beautiful, classic work, loves safari, and the golden age of gunmaking between the wars. Not sure what you're looking to spend but I'd have a hard look at his work. He'd love to do a project in such a classic caliber.

My vote would be for the 1909 Argentine (I'm biased). You can't go wrong with either.

I've never spoken to RJ but I'd guess that most of his work is semi-custom. Sounds like you are leaning full custom. There are few gunsmiths out there that lean traditional. One is Matt Roberts with MNR Custom. He does beautiful, classic work, loves safari, and the golden age of gunmaking between the wars. Not sure what you're looking to spend but I'd have a hard look at his work. He'd love to do a project in such a classic caliber.
Thank you for the advice, I have seen some of Matt’s work on his website. It might be out of my price range, but I will reach out to him when I have some funds set aside. I ordered two wood blanks…one is French Walnut (30 years old) and the other is Turkish (20 years old.) I highly recommend Hunterbid.com to anyone needing a beautiful piece of wood. Good communication, great price. I think I’ll use the lighter French walnut for this project. (Picture below).
IMG_4855.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4780.jpeg
    IMG_4780.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan6696535

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia