One caliber away from contentment... who else?

After the kids went off to college, I downsized considerably from the big rambling house they had grown up in. So my collection of calibers and rifles is pretty small since I don't have a lot of space any more. For the hunting I currently do, I really have everything I need which unfortunately is not synonymous with everything I want. At the moment, I'm currently in the process of cobbling together a 35 Whelen because I always wanted one of those which will bring my chambering count to an even dozen.

The problem I have is at the left end of the lineup below. There's a 55-grain 22-250 and then a significant jump to a 140-grain 6.5x55 SE. I need an 80~115 grain bullet to fill that gap because it's messing up the feng shui of my gun safe having that hole. The question is "What do I put there?": 243 Win? 257 Roberts? 25-06?

The struggle is real...

22-250, 6.5x55, 275 Rigby, 300 HAM'R, 303 British, 30-06, 9.3x74r, 375 H&H, 405 Winchester, 44 Mag, 458 Win Mag
I vote 243. You have a great range of calibers but are missing a few on the smaller end. a 22 Win Mag & a 243 Win would help to fill those gaps if I were spending your money.

I vote 243. You have a great range of calibers but are missing a few on the smaller end. a 22 Win Mag & a 243 Win would help to fill those gaps if I were spending your money.
The 243 Win does have a lot going for it. It is one of the chamberings that is possible to find in left-handed rifles (e.g. Sako 90, Bergara B-14, Tikka T3x, etc.). But no decision is final until I spend way too much time over-thinking it. I have a lot of traditional wood & blued steel rifles but the thing that's giving me pause is the thought of possibly going lightweight, carbon, stainless & suppressed on what could be a "final" (ha!) purchase. As I'm filling the last few slots left in my safe, I'm being overly picky about it being something unique.

I listed my centerfire calibers earlier. I do have a LH Browning T-Bolt in 22LR & another varmint model with a heavy barrel in 17 HMR that are super accurate & a lot of fun to shoot.

I’m there with you. Not sure I need anything else but for some reason I look through GB every week.
.25-06
7x57 x2
7mm Rem Mag
30-30
300 Win Mag
35 Whelen
9.3x62 x2
375 Dakota
375 H&H
416 Rigby
404 Jeff
500 NE

Itching for a 6.5x55 since everyone speaks so highly of it.

I’m there with you. Not sure I need anything else but for some reason I look through GB every week.
Itching for a 6.5x55 since everyone speaks so highly of it.

A kindred spirit & a nice assortment of chamberings! My rifle purchasing has tapered off considerably since I hunt with everything I own & I don't have enough time to shoot them all as it is. But I can't break myself of the habit of continually scavenger hunting for that one special item at a great price...

Last season I was at a friend's farm in Mississippi & he asked me if I would mind taking some of the does he had on his property. I said no problem at all. My venison brat supply in the freezer was getting low so hunting for some food sounded like a good way to spend the weekend. My Ruger No. 1A in 6.5x55 shooting 140gr Nosler Partitions did an excellent job on the two that I took. Both of them dropped in their tracks at around 125 meters. It is a pleasant & effective round to shoot. I absolutely positively do not need another 6.5x55 rifle. But if Sako makes a LH Bavarian 90 in that chambering, I might crack. A LH Steyr SM12 would do the trick as well.

Let’s see
22 Short
22LR
25-06
6.8 SPC
7 Mag
30-30
30-06
375 Ruger
38-40 WCF
450-400
45-70
I thought I was there and then while visiting the LGS Larry’s Pistol and Pawn West, the manager walks by, knowing my love for Ruger No. 1’s, with a 458 Win Mag Ruger No.1.

I thought I was there and then while visiting the LGS Larry’s Pistol and Pawn West, the manager walks by, knowing my love for Ruger No. 1’s, with a 458 Win Mag Ruger No.1.

As a right-handed person who shoots left, I have a real fondness for ambidextrous rifles so I have four 1885's and four Ruger No. 1's that I hunt with a lot. It's nice to open one of the safes & have the option of a falling block or a falling block or another falling block...

But when it came time to add a 458 Win Mag to the lineup, I opted for a LH Ruger MkII in 7mm Rem Mag & then I made a project out of putting in crossbolts, pillars and a stainless rod through the grip to reinforce it for a 23" McGowen barrel. I really enjoy shooting this particular round a lot:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrewslugh

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia