Pedestal option for buffalo

If you get a chance can you get the dimensions on the base and maybe the weight? Thanks in advance.

I will work on that for you. My guess is the crate was most of the weight we were feeling but I’ll pull it out of the crate and get it weighed and measured.

My crate from Splitting Image that had my base in it showed up before I left for my second trip. I didn’t get to open the crate fully as we left it in there while the mount is completed but it looked pretty good. It’s a granite base and it’s heavy as hell.

I’m excited to have the mount completed now. Will update this thread more when it gets done. View attachment 641529
Wonder if they would sell and ship the base to US

Yes, that is what I had Splitting Image Taxidermy do. My crate with hides and skulls was just a dip and pack as I usually have all my taxidermy work done here in the states. This crate was just added to that same shipment. I don’t recall the exact cost but I believe it was around $1200 for them to make the pedestal. My shipping wasn’t all that much higher than normal but it did add to the cost. Sadly I deleted the emails from splitting image that had invoices, etc so I don’t know what the total damage on cost was.

I would suspect that it would be cheaper in the long run to have someone in the states make it. If you have a skull that someone can do a cast of to get the mold, and then find a piece of granite or something heavy enough for the base. If you already have a shipment coming from South Africa and it can be added to that shipping cost then that seems like it would be the way to go since you’re already paying for the shipping space and adding a smaller crate to this doesn’t add much to the cost.

It’s probably a good thing you have the pedestal here, your stateside taxidermist can match the mount to the square tubing.

I assume the skull/horn pedestals are cast metal as resin would not be strong enough. Interesting.

If I mounted a Cape buffalo (and I wouldn't), it would be wall mount pedestal in a corner. Good use for that space. Also corners always have adequate stud support handy to anchor something heavy like that.

Euro buffalo should be mounted at 30 degree tilt to properly display bosses and drop/curve.
17294429648976402152848145026668.jpg

17294430252933550047325722016135.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly I don’t know exactly how they make them. This was the message I received from them when it was being built and processed. I didn’t dig into it any further to get clarification if that meant they were casting a unique skull for it or using a real skull or what. Although, If it was all fake, what’s the need to amend the export permit? I would suspect if they used any type of casting that they’d have to add in some additional support to keep things in place like adding in rebar to concrete.
IMG_6892.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeraMarsh2

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia