AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique, B.C. Canada, Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Oregon, California, Texas, Oklahoma.
I will be downsizing some of my gun collection to recoup costs on past and future African safaris and it is my desire to set aside funds to acquire a used “bespoke” rifle in the $5000-$14,000 range. Depends on how well I do. Some of the rifles I have considered: Reimer Johanssen, Dakota 76, Parkwest Arms, Kimber 89 BGR, Dumoulin, and various notable custom gun makers. All used rifles.

I would also include a Blaser R8 with walnut stock and perhaps laser engraving. I’m not sure how much I would appreciate or take advantage of the modular design, I prefer to stick with just one caliber while hunting, I just find a nice walnut stocked Blaser R8 to be a handsome rifle and certainly well proven over the years. I would certainly consider a beautiful engraved and walnut stocked Blaser R8 to fall in the bespoke category.

As to caliber, I believe the most useful for my purposes would be a 375 H&H. I will retain my CZ 416 Rigby and custom Robar/AHR Brno 458 Lott so see no need for a similar caliber, but with that being said, if I were to acquire a very nice Reimer Johannsen 416 Rigby for the right price point, or a Blaser R8 in 416 Rem Mag, those calibers overlap enough that I would be okay with it and with the Blaser, obtaining another barrel is a great option. Still, for my intended purpose of this rifle, to hunt African game up to Buffalo in size and perhaps some North American game, I feel the 375 H&H would be ideal.

I have been perusing older posts from BeeMaa, Red Leg, One Day, Rookhawk, Phillip Glass, Tanks, K-Man, and Mark Ouellette to name a few members and they have been very educational and informative. I’m leaving off many other knowledgeable AH members so I apologize, I’m still a new member and there is still a trove of older excellent information still to look upon. Perhaps because I’ve been recovering from a bout of arthritis, I’ve had too much time to think and look at guns!

There is nothing wrong with the “working class” rifles I’ve used over the years and some of the “lower end” custom rifles, they have done the job just as well, yet we have this one life to live and I’m hopeful I’ll have at least another 20 years of viable hunting adventures, and a classy bespoke rifle would be a great addition to accompany me on these future hunts and an excellent investment.

Unfortunately, Rigby and Westley Richards are a bridge too far although I have seen a few nice used older Holland & Holland 375 H&H rifles that could be in my realm yet most are not drilled and tapped for optics and I would never dare deface such a rifle by having one drilled & tapped! Anyhow, that’s the plan, downsize to a more manageable number of guns, offset some hunt costs, use what’s left for a “bespoke” rifle that my heirs may later sell for a good price. We’ll see how I do and what’s available in a couple months.

I have been dealing with the topic of the ideal hunting rifle for around 50 years. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anything like that because with increasing experience you have to realize again and again that the rifle you thought suitable, is not what you had hoped. In the meantime I have found that you are best served with rifles of the highest quality. That's why I would recommend everyone to think carefully about buying a rifle and only buy the best one. I have never regretted any of the premium rifles I own, different from everyone else. That's why my recommendation is to buy only high-quality rifles, used premium rifles or custom rifles built according to your wishes. Imho one only need three rifles and a shotgun to hunt worldwide. The type of rifles, bolt action or double rifle and the caliber is a different topic. I prefer bolt action rifles for all situations and for this reason I would recommend those who really want it, to buy a big bore DR only for big game hunting. Apart from that, buy bolt action rifles, in which one of this must be suitable for long range shooting. Unfortunately, there is no ideal caliber combination, but you can still select a balanced combination of calibers that are best suitable for all hunting situations worldwide.

I have been dealing with the topic of the ideal hunting rifle for around 50 years. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be anything like that because with increasing experience you have to realize again and again that the rifle you thought suitable, is not what you had hoped. In the meantime I have found that you are best served with rifles of the highest quality. That's why I would recommend everyone to think carefully about buying a rifle and only buy the best one. I have never regretted any of the premium rifles I own, different from everyone else. That's why my recommendation is to buy only high-quality rifles, used premium rifles or custom rifles built according to your wishes. Imho one only need three rifles and a shotgun to hunt worldwide. The type of rifles, bolt action or double rifle and the caliber is a different topic. I prefer bolt action rifles for all situations and for this reason I would recommend those who really want it, to buy a big bore DR only for big game hunting. Apart from that, buy bolt action rifles, in which one of this must be suitable for long range shooting. Unfortunately, there is no ideal caliber combination, but you can still select a balanced combination of calibers that are best suitable for all hunting situations worldwide.
Excellent comments based on a lot of experience, thank you. Well, I’m presently looking at downsizing approximately 1/4 of my gun collection. Unlike some of our European brethren, some of us Americans seem to collect a significant amount of guns, yet as I get older, my preference is fewer guns and more hunting! The more I sell, the more options I have of course.

Used Mauser M98s and even Rigby Big Game rifles may actually fall within your budget.

Those rifles in 375 tend to be cheaper in 375 than the big bore chamberings.
I would not say no to those rifles! Of course there is a balancing act, the more spent on a rifle, the less spent on a hunt. I’m seeking a happy medium. If I sell more guns, yes I believe the M98 and Rigby could be a possibility.

I will be downsizing some of my gun collection to recoup costs on past and future African safaris and it is my desire to set aside funds to acquire a used “bespoke” rifle in the $5000-$14,000 range. Depends on how well I do. Some of the rifles I have considered: Reimer Johanssen, Dakota 76, Parkwest Arms, Kimber 89 BGR, Dumoulin, and various notable custom gun makers. All used rifles.

I would also include a Blaser R8 with walnut stock and perhaps laser engraving. I’m not sure how much I would appreciate or take advantage of the modular design, I prefer to stick with just one caliber while hunting, I just find a nice walnut stocked Blaser R8 to be a handsome rifle and certainly well proven over the years. I would certainly consider a beautiful engraved and walnut stocked Blaser R8 to fall in the bespoke category.

As to caliber, I believe the most useful for my purposes would be a 375 H&H. I will retain my CZ 416 Rigby and custom Robar/AHR Brno 458 Lott so see no need for a similar caliber, but with that being said, if I were to acquire a very nice Reimer Johannsen 416 Rigby for the right price point, or a Blaser R8 in 416 Rem Mag, those calibers overlap enough that I would be okay with it and with the Blaser, obtaining another barrel is a great option. Still, for my intended purpose of this rifle, to hunt African game up to Buffalo in size and perhaps some North American game, I feel the 375 H&H would be ideal.

I have been perusing older posts from BeeMaa, Red Leg, One Day, Rookhawk, Phillip Glass, Tanks, K-Man, and Mark Ouellette to name a few members and they have been very educational and informative. I’m leaving off many other knowledgeable AH members so I apologize, I’m still a new member and there is still a trove of older excellent information still to look upon. Perhaps because I’ve been recovering from a bout of arthritis, I’ve had too much time to think and look at guns!

There is nothing wrong with the “working class” rifles I’ve used over the years and some of the “lower end” custom rifles, they have done the job just as well, yet we have this one life to live and I’m hopeful I’ll have at least another 20 years of viable hunting adventures, and a classy bespoke rifle would be a great addition to accompany me on these future hunts and an excellent investment.

Unfortunately, Rigby and Westley Richards are a bridge too far although I have seen a few nice used older Holland & Holland 375 H&H rifles that could be in my realm yet most are not drilled and tapped for optics and I would never dare deface such a rifle by having one drilled & tapped! Anyhow, that’s the plan, downsize to a more manageable number of guns, offset some hunt costs, use what’s left for a “bespoke” rifle that my heirs may later sell for a good price. We’ll see how I do and what’s available in a couple months.
At that budget, you could have the guys at ParkWest literally create your own bespoke rifle to your measurements and preferred customizations and have probably quite a bit of pocket change?

At that budget, you could have the guys at ParkWest literally create your own bespoke rifle to your measurements and preferred customizations and have probably quite a bit of pocket change?
Thanks for the suggestion. I went to their website, if those prices are still current, certainly a possibility. I wrongly assumed it would be considerably more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to their website, if those prices are still current, certainly a possibility. I wrongly assumed it would be considerably more.
Some others I would look at are Granite mountain arms. Another North American company who could do something bespoke to the utmost detail for you, for likely same price range as Park West

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucy39Y308

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia