Red Dot size

Flipper Dude

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The last 3 PHs I’ve hunted with have all used red dots on their stopping rifles. 2 458 Lotts and 1 458WM. All swore by them. You guys that use them on your DG rifles, what size MOA are you using? Happy with it? I see my iron sights well, but you do hafta align them. Seems the Red Dot is just point and shoot.

Thanks

The last 3 PHs I’ve hunted with have all used red dots on their stopping rifles. 2 458 Lotts and 1 458WM. All swore by them. You guys that use them on your DG rifles, what size MOA are you using? Happy with it? I see my iron sights well, but you do hafta align them. Seems the Red Dot is just point and shoot.

Thanks
I have a Dokter in a 3 MOA on my double rifle.
Keep in mind that your application will be different to theirs.
I had a Trijicon with the 1 MOA dot that I really enjoyed. Just sat too high on my rifle so changed out to the Dokter that allowed me to mount lower.

I’ve got a 2 moa on my carbine and a pistol with a 2 moa and another with a 7.5 moa. The 2 moa is a good size for all purposes.

I have a 3.5 moa on my R8 PH 500 Jeffery. I much prefer a larger dot, especially in bright light. I don’t see the benefit of a small dot, unless you want to make precision shots.
Even on my 9.3 I prefer a larger dot when shooting running pigs.

Guess I need to look at some. Seems the guys that have the 1 MOA like them and the guys that have the larger ones like them. Mine would go on my Lott for elephant only, although it might act as a buffalo rifle if need be.

I like a little larger dot on close quarters shots but I felt that a smaller dot works better from 80yds on out to around 120yds which is about my limit with my .416 Rigby. The 3MOA I had covered smaller shots on targets of opportunity.

4 moa or smaller for sure. I’ve had two Leupold delta points for a decade - one 3 moa dot and one 7.5 moa triangle. I’ve used them on pistols, shotguns and rimfires. I have now added a Vortex Sparc, an Aimpoint H2, and a aimpoint acro 3.5 moa that I use on AR style carbines. I use Leupold VX6 firedots on some of my rifles and find the small dot really grabs the eye.

I’d recommend a 2 - 4 moa. Plenty easy to see, but doesn’t obscure much of the target. Aim small, miss small.

Thanks
1 MOA

I like a little larger dot on close quarters shots but I felt that a smaller dot works better from 80yds on out to around 120yds which is about my limit with my .416 Rigby. The 3MOA I had covered smaller shots on targets of opportunity.
For me aim small miss small. I was talking about this with Dalton on Dalton & York Safaris and he said the same thing the smaller the dot the better your accuracy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corey0123

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia