Shooting Sticks - Accuracy Expectations

20241022_103622.jpg

Viper-Flex at 325 yards. The three copper colored hits are 338 WM (210 gr TTSX w/ RL-17). The three silver hits are 6.5 CM (140 gr NPts, also RL-17).
18" gong.

Possibly a bit of a fluke with the 338 WM (near MOA), but gaining confidence in the quad sticks every outing.

I am confused by the appeal of these new 4 pt sticks. Conventional sticks are much faster, easier to adjust to a moving target, and with a little practice, easily capable of 300+ yard shots.
Interested in the time it takes to set up quad sticks versus tripod sticks?

I find that with a proper fitting, handling tripod, that fits my shooting style, I can be on the sticks in less than 6 seconds.

Practice shooting from sticks is always one of the first pieces of advice heard about preparing for a safari. I did not really do it before my first hunting trip to Africa. I have been leading up to our next hunt though.

Target below is from yesterday with my M70 30-06 at 100 yards. Top is from a table top with a sand bag (Would have been a sub MOA group if I had quit after 3 shots LOL!) Bottom is from 100 yards off of sticks.

I am shooting 2-3 inch groups pretty consistently off of the sticks. Field conditions and adrenaline when hunting will likely cause the groups to open up more. Bottom line is right now I am not comfortable taking a shot a animal at much past 100 yards from the sticks.

View attachment 636990

Late to this post, but I would say shooting off sticks takes practice. The best under "scientific" conditions is Ken Owen who regulates guns for a living. @Wahoo on this forum became unbelievably proficient over 300+ rounds personally regulating his double rifles. It's really a numbers game. The more rounds you shoot from a tripod rest standing up, swaying with recoil, the better you get.

For me as a mediocre shooter, I prefer to pay for regulation so I know what exceptional looks like. When I shoot the same load under same conditions and I'm worse, I know its a "me" problem

Practice, practice, practice off sticks and you'll get your groups nearly as tight as an F-class shooter off a bench rest. It's an athletic sport of its own that takes a lot of practice to become exceptional.

Interested in the time it takes to set up quad sticks versus tripod sticks?

I find that with a proper fitting, handling tripod, that fits my shooting style, I can be on the sticks in less than 6 seconds.
Depends:

If the PH or guide is setting the sticks for you, then the tripod wins on speed.

But - if you are setting the sticks yourself one handed, with rifle in the other - the quad sticks win on speed by a good bit. Easy-peasy one handed since there are only two points contacting the ground.

Here is a 3 shot group at 50 yards off Primos Jim Shockey Edition tripod trigger sticks with my 375 H&H.
IMG_2047.JPG

Don’t know about “expectations” but with regular wooden sticks as commonly used in Africa, my max range for putting bullet in vitals on impala-sized game under ideal conditions, off sticks, is about 200-225 yards. If on a particular setup my crosshairs are jumping around outside the vitals on any animal I won’t shoot until confident in the shot… no matter the distance. Also, some people can’t shoot heavy recoiling rifles no matter the rest so that has to be taken into consideration for anyone’s individual expectations. Some people believe 7mm Mag shooting 175 gr factory ammo is heavy recoiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaSt

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia