South Africa-Books

mhunts

Reaction score
I'm heading to the Limpopo next year on my first Safari, and my family has decided to join me on the trip. My wife has asked about books that she can read as we anticipate/prepare. I have read, and own, many of the traditional book recommendations on hunting in Africa, but have few ideas for books that focus on the history, culture, people, etc. of this region in Africa. I'd love to know if any of you have any recommendations for books that focus on the non hunting aspects of Africa, more specifically South Africa.

Don't read "Death in the Long Grass" until you get back

Ha! That's the book that started my obsession with going to Africa nearly 30 years ago. That will not be on her list!

To understand some of the political aspects of Southern Africa, not necessarily South Africa, “The Dogs Of War” and “Wild Geese” are good reads.

There is a bunch of Wilbur Smith novels that carry a lot of Southern Africa history in them.
All good reads and will not bore you at all.

Yes, this book is one of my absolute favorites
Michener's The Covenant. It's a novel that provides a good summary of the history of South Africa, including insights into the various cultures.
Have to agree with this 100%. Like all his books the first 100 pages can be a little slow, but you will get into the characters he plugs into the historical record and come away with a wealth of knowledge on the people, cultures, and events that have shaped southern africa. RSA in particular. My wife and I read it together (2 copies) before a trip and it was like a race to see who could stay ahead of the other and discover the next unbelievable fact. I kept having to go to the web to fact check events he described that I knew HAD to be fiction - but they were always true. Great read. Highly recommend.

Michener's The Covenant. It's a novel that provides a good summary of the history of South Africa, including insights into the various cultures.
This is a great read and introduces plenty of topics that the reader can research further about the countries history and culture.

@Sue Tidwell ,has a book written by an observer (her) and not the hunter that would be a good read for anyone going to Africa, it’s in Tanzania and not South Africa. I wish I could remember the title, “Cries of the Savannah” maybe but can’t remember exactly.

It’s well written and enjoyable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearline33

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia