SOUTH AFRICA: Cape Buffalo Hunting With Kok & Seyfert At Buffalo Land Safaris

Brian

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
We hunted three cows. I have hunted Cape Buffalo Bulls twice before and have killed about 60 plains game. My wife and I have spent about one year in total in South Africa and Namibia.

BuffaloLand Safaris on the Klasserie River in the Low Veld.
Very good farm. Well run with excellent staff. Good country and lots of buffalo. Highly recommended.

Kobus Kok
Excellent PH. Savvy bushman and hunter. Respectful and helpful with full knowledge of the bush and animals. Highly recommended.

Johan Seyfert
He is the opposite of Kobus Kok. Loud, overbearing, opinionated and tiresome. Worse when he is drinking.
Questionable ability. Not recommended for the discerning hunter.

The agent is Big Game Hunting Adventures in the USA.

Would love to see some pics and more details on the hunting. Bruce

Thanks for your interest Bruce. Please see YouTube video. Type in "Brian Hunts Cape Buffalo" in Youtube search box.

Pics and report would be great! Appreciate the honesty.
I think a decent bull combined with a cow , both European mounted would make a nice display. That's my plan anyway.
How did you get your wife to go?
Best!

As above, please see the YouTube Video. "Brian hunts cape buffalo". I used a 577NE singleshot that I made out of a H&R 10ga. shotgun with cast bullets. One shot per buffalo. 700 grain bullet at 1800 fps. ( In the past I used a Win. 70 in .375 HH.)
Also notice that the land is very dry from the year long drought.

As I say, BuffaloLand Safaris is a great place. It's right on the west side of Kruger Park. Your wife could take day-tours in the park while you are hunting.
My wife, a non hunter, and I hunt for one week and explore/travel for 6 weeks or more. She loves the bush and takes walks and game viewing drives while I am out "killing" something. You must go to an operator who will look after the non hunters as well as the hunters, of course. Africa Dawn Hunting Safaris is the best I have found for looking after a mixed group of hunters and non hunters.

Brick beat me to it. I was slow rewatching the video. ;)

I'd like to do a bull and cow euro one day. I've liked that idea and would like to do the same with eland as well.

Thanks for placing the video on the forum. I didn't know you could do that. Cool!
Bull and cow hunt is an excellent idea. I like Euro mounts. Real old school.

PS. That is Kobus Kok in the video. The slim guy is Louis Jacob. Also and excellent guy. He works for BuffaloLand Safaris.

I should also mention that I wrote a story of the hunt and it is published in the Jan./spring issue of The African Hunting Gazette.
It's called, Never Mind the Bull For the female of the species is more deadly than the male. Kipling

Thanks for placing the video on the forum. I didn't know you could do that. Cool!

Welcome

It's the little "film icon button" at the top of the posting window. Copy your link and done.

Neat video brian !
Shit those home made pills of yours are deadly .
Those girls didn't stand a chance .
Envy your life style .
Over a year spent hunting and touring you say !
Legend !!!:D Beers:

Thank you Dory. Just under one year, in fact. For 2018 we are booked with the whole famiy including two nine year olds. We are very fortunate.
The 2 PH's were also pretty impressed with those big hard cast bullets. They have about 75 % meplat. ( wide flat nose.) 700 gr at 1800fps.

Please tell me where Stewart Island is.
Thanks for your kind words. Brian

Good morning Brian .
Stewart Island lies off the bottom of New Zealand .
We have a few red deer here but the island is covered in white tail deer .
The southern most herd in the world .
We have a poulation of about 400 people .
Get the grandkids to show you on google earth .
Cheers Dory .

Thanks Dory, "Google Earth" is my middle name! I will check Stewart Island out. NZ is a fascinating country.
I am from Kamloops, BC. Canada.
Cheers, Brian

Dory, Stewart Island is a very interesting place. I have done a little googling now on it. Beautiful and remote. 400 people! It reminds me, somewhat, of when we lived in the North West Territories of Canada.

My wife and I are now descussing going to Stewart Island while on a trip to South Africa. You will be sorry that you told me about it! ( No good deed goes unpunished.)
I may have a connection in NZ that I could include in the loop.
Thanks for the insight. Brian

Congrats on your hunt, Brian !

My story of the hunt is not in this issue of The African Hunting Gazette. It is in the next issue. My mistake. Story is called "Never Mind the Bull."

Congrats and thanks for sharing

Congrats Brian, and great video! I know buffalo land and their staff well as we also hunt there as quotas allow it from time to time! Great people and area for buffalo!

I also have experience with Johan syffert which is not to my personal liking..

I like your rifle, looks like perfect medicine for buffalo!

Thanks for sharing. Great shooting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarinDrury

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!