Why Long LOP on Euro Rifles?

Tex .416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Why do rifles made in Europe, especially Germany, tend to have longer lengths of pull than US made rifles?

Are Germans on average just taller with longer arms?

They hunt on their feet using beaters and dogs to run the game by the standers. European guns fit me perfectly whereas I have to use a slip over recoil pad to make any American stock fit me.

Just ask Trump, it's the long reaching for the US to pay more than it's share of NATO ;)

My Sauer double rifle has a 14 3/4 LOP.
It fits me like a bespoke shotgun. All of American rifles need at a 1 inch thick slip-on pad to feel "normal" to me. I'm tall, 6'3", with long ape-like arms

I am only 5'11" tall and my arms are not particularly long. I really don't understand why but my guess is cost. Everything in American business comes back to costs.

It isn't really arm length, it's the distance between shoulder and nose tip. For muscular people and fat people, that's normally a shorter length.

My eldest son is only about an inch shorter than I am, and off-the-rack rifles fit him pretty well. He's a good bit more muscular than I am, though I'm not exactly thin. A lot of my 2x (nominally for 48-50" chest) shirts are snug across the chest, shoulders, and in the sleeves. Off-the-rack rifles are awkwardly short for me.

World wide average height for males is 67" (170 cm)
Average height for men in the US is 70" (178 cm)
Average height for men in Germany is 72" (183 cm)

Not to be sexist, but most rifles are marketed towards men. Germany, Austria, Poland and the Netherlands lead the way in Europe along with Finland, Sweden and Norway with average heights above 70" (178 cm). It's no wonder the rifles from Sako, Tikka, Blaser, Heym, Krieghoff, Sauer & Sons...etc have longer LOP's.

American rifles and shotguns have never fit me well and even the ones from the EU have needed some LOP added to accommodate my long arms.

My Blaser rifles have spacers added to the stock to lengthen it even further. Standard LOP is 14 5/8" (37 cm) plus two .4" (1 cm) spacers to make it fit me properly. LOP is just over 15" (38 cm).

American rifles are designed for shooting off a bench, or from prone. European rifles are designed for shooting from more typical hunting positions, standing with a rest, from a high seat, and offhand. European rifles not only have longer length of pull, but tend to have more drop at the comb too, to better accommodate offhand shooting and upright shooting positions.
I like European stocks.

Why do rifles made in Europe, especially Germany, tend to have longer lengths of pull than US made rifles?

Are Germans on average just taller with longer arms?

The Germans (and Brits) realize that a double rifle needs to be closer to the length of a shotgun than a bolt gun.

Americans realize very little about anything. (As an American speaking from experience)

The general rule of thumb is take your shotgun length of pull, subtract 1" or a bit less, that is your bolt-gun LOP. For a double rifle, the LOP should be the same as or up to 1/2" less than your shotgun length of pull.

Unfortunately, with very few exceptions, American gunsmiths and makers are unfamiliar with any of these customs and just put out sotcks the same length as they always did. You know, like 13-3/8" stocks for bolt guns just like Winchester did WHEN THE AVERAGE MALE WAS 5'7" TALL!.

The godsend in all of this is at least when you find a vintage British double rifle, if its all original, it had 14-3/8" LOP to a steel plate. Chop off the plate, add a 1" silvers pad, you now have a 15-1/4" LOP double rifle suitable for a 6'2-6'5" tall guy. Heym has done a really good job with modern stock dimensions on their doubles as well, Several I've owned and handled were 15.5" LOPs from the factory, one of the many perks of buying a Heym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BellaLaing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia