ZIMBABWE: Of Cigars, Leopards & Cape Buffalo

Mort Hill you are a man after my own heart, I love cigars…. But Jesus man 183 in 23 days; you put Churchill himself to shame!

P.S. I’ve been known to take a Humidifier, hygrometer and 6’ of weather stripping with me when I travel to a place where I can stock up on cigars that are hard to come by.

If you find the cigars your looking for and can talk them out of some extra cedar chips to help keep humidity consistent, then just buy a small ice chest and add the humidifier, weather stripping, cedar chips and hygrometer.

Allows you to properly store lots of cigars while on extended trips and for the flight home; just pack any airspace with news paper and seal the lid shut with duct tape & add a luggage tag.

EA35CE7E-C502-486A-966A-B8CBE1F71690.jpeg

Love the report Mort!…. Keeps it coming and sorry for the distraction

Mort Hill you are a man after my own heart, I love cigars…. But Jesus man 183 in 23 days; you put Churchill himself to shame!

P.S. I’ve been known to take a Humidifier, hygrometer and 6’ of weather stripping with me when I travel to a place where I can stock up on cigars that are hard to come by.

If you find the cigars your looking for and can talk them out of some extra cedar chips to help keep humidity consistent, then just buy a small ice chest and add the humidifier, weather stripping, cedar chips and hygrometer.

Allows you to properly store lots of cigars while on extended trips and for the flight home; just pack any airspace with news paper and seal the lid shut with duct tape & add a luggage tag.

View attachment 407055

Love the report Mort!…. Keeps it coming and sorry for the distraction

Awesome idea! If wasn’t smoking from sun up to bed time, I’d probably use this a lot!

Enjoying so far, looking forward to more!

Along for the ride, enjoying reading about your trip, thanks for sharing it

Day 2 - Arda Camp

After a full half a day of hunting the afternoon before, we are now off early to check existing baits, and to hang new ones. As anyone who has hunted leopard before know, these activities, hunting baits, hanging baits, and checking baits occupy the majority of your time. The rides to baits begin early. We are up at 5:00, breakfast, coffee and cigar by the early morning fire, then finish the morning routine(ie drop the kids off at the pool), and load up to head out at first light around 6:00AM.

I enjoy the morning drive, even though it is brisk, as I ride on back with the team, can smoke some cigars, and look at the early morning game. We also check the roads for leopard spoor which might indicate a good spot for bait. We are specifically at this point looking for impala and zebra for bait, and will forego other target species unless the right opportunity arises.

Throughout the morning we see lots of game, and find some very promising spoor. Some of these tracks are huge, and indicate a very large leopard is on the prowl. I use my cigar lighter for reference. We find two such tracks and situate a bait at one at the juncture of several kopjes.
IMG_3345.JPG
IMG_3351.JPG
IMG_3350.JPG

With our impala hung from last night, we are now on task for more bait. A zebra will give us four baits, while an impala ram just one. But the zebra are always alert, and we have a couple of failed stalks.

We turn off the two track into an area where Pete wants to stalk for impala. We disembark and skirt along the edge of the path as it heads into a larger opening. Suddenly our little party comes to an abrupt stop, because we all see it at the same time.

There, in the shade, snugged up to a large clump of bushes, are Mr. and Mrs. Lion. In all their glory. Just 75 yds in front of us. I snap a picture with my phone, trying to get the big male who is hidden behind the bush. At this point, Pete whispers we need to back out. At that moment, I quit videoing just as Ma Lion sees us and both cats head straight for the thick stuff, away from us. The male is gorgeous. Full maned and definitely of the age class to be taken.
IMG_3355.JPG
IMG_3355.JPG

We mark the spot for one of Big Mikes lion bait, and move on in search of bait.

Shortly before lunch, the tracker taps the roof. Zebra. We bail out of the cruiser and cautiously move through the scrub brush. Pete sets the sticks up and says there is a single stallion standing by a large tree. I look but do not see. Where? About 150 yds out. Oh, that tree. The only shot I have is a frontal chest shot. I relax and squeeze and the shot goes true. The zebra runs about 50 yds and dumps in the grass. Great! Now we have four more baits. Upon examination of the old stallion, there is a serious wound on his hind leg. Speculation amongst our group ranges from lion to the bite of another stallion. It’s my zebra now, so I am going with a dark, fulled maned, Zim lion who just hooked the zebra on last lunge with his dew claw before the escape. Will give the rug a story and character.
IMG_3363.JPG
IMG_3364.JPG

So the afternoon involves more hanging baits, more looking for tracks, more cigar smoking. This is a typical afternoon ride mug shot.
IMG_3365.JPG

We find some more good tracks and get baits hung in likely spots near two tracks, creek beds, water, or both.
IMG_3366.JPG
IMG_3370.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

I like it. I really like it. Good tracks, good bait spots, I am feeling jacked and it is only our second day in camp. Until tomorrow.
IMG_3796.JPG

Loving it, keep it coming. BTW, love the pictures with the pooch :) Nothing like a good dog.

Day 3 - A good Day

With some of our zebra baits hung, and one left in the truck, we check a couple of baits, then we head to a likely large pan where we have seen a good track. It is mid morning.
IMG_3366.JPG

We walk about 150 yds to the edge of the water and find a good tree, so now we signal the trackers to bring the bait.

As Pete and I are waiting on the tracker to bring in the zebra quarter, we both hear it. The low bellow of buffalo. He looks at me, I look at him, and he says as I am already moving “get your gun.”

With the .416 in hand we start navigating through the thick jess. Openings pop open, we stop, and listen, we keep moving to the sound. We have not traveled 100 yards when Manu stops us. We have walked up to the tail end of a large buffalo herd. How large, we did not know at the time. Sticks up, when suddenly a cow steps out at 25 yards and dead eyes us. We do not move. The wind is good but starting to swirl. The cow senses something not right and trots off starting the whole herd moving.

We use the opportunity to relax for 15 minutes while Pete disposes of dinner, and I smoke a fine cigar. This is the opening we were standing in when the cow spied us. The boys chat about the wind, where the buff were headed in Shona. I of course and fluent in none of it. I spent 4 trips to Tanzania learning basic Swahili. That does me zero good here in Zim, but thankfully all the guys speak english, so they let me know what is being discussed.
IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3376.JPG
IMG_3369.JPG

We regroup and head out hot on the trail, not hard to follow because now the group is very vocal. Our scout says he knows another close by pan they are heading to so we head that way. Little did we know the big herd split in two, and we now find ourselves smack between both groups. We can see the tell tale black bodies and legs moving through the bush at about 40-50 yds, so we set up the sticks by a bush, and start to watch the buff pass by.

A good bull enters the field of view feeding, but he is facing us, and there is some thick cover between us and him. Patience Uncle Morty, Patience. He feeds closer, but deeper into the bush, still facing us. Just then, a cow eases into the opening between us and the bull feeding. My butt puckers, my palms sweat. Will she bust us before the shot. She keeps feeding, but while she does, the bull turns away from to feed only giving me the Texas heart shot. Crap. Crap. Crap. The slight breeze is suddenly on my neck. The cow snorts once, then turns and runs away. The herd starts to move off but I stay glued on the sticks.

And then, Pete with binos up says bull coming. Old bull. All I needed to hear. As if I won the lottery, a single old dugga boy, pulling up the rear vanguard, walks right into the opening where the first bull should have gone. He never stops walking, but I am confident I can make the shot in the brief window of opportunity. I place the Trijicon post reticle just ahead of his shoulder and wait the fraction of a second it takes for the last step to complete the picture. Blam! The gun touches off and the bull just starts to run. Pete looks at me with that WTF just happened look. I muster my best air of confidence and say”it was a good hit”. Later Pete would tell me his concern was that the buff never reacted. He was afraid of a real cluster. Just then as I am starting my second wave of stating it all felt good, we hear the death below! Kufa. Old bull down. We make our way about 30-40 yds to the bull, put a finisher into him for good measure, and start the hugs. By Pete’s estimation, he is an old bull, 12 years or older. His horns are worn, broomed and split. His boss is rubbed smooth in places. His back is caked in mud, and the scars are too numerous to count. He is just the kind of buff I love.
IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG
IMG_3417.JPG

It was a perfect heart shot. I give Pete some shit for doubting, but I remember this is the first time he has hunted with me, so temper the abuse somewhat. As if to silently say we’re all good, Pete photo bombs my camera which we be a trademark of any time I give him my phone for pictures. Remember the zebra bait? Photo bomb. Buff. Photo bomb.
IMG_3358.JPG
IMG_3387.JPG

So we get the buff loaded, but head back to hang the bait as we originally started that morning. It could not be more than 500 yards from the bait tree to where the buff took his dirt nap. My kind of buff hunt. The team hangs the bait while I enjoy a lovely Cuban Partagas cigar, complete with camp chair, in the shade. A moment to reflect and be treasured.
IMG_3419.JPG

We head to the skinning shed with buff, and see that Big Mike has taken a nice dark giraffe for bait. We get the news that the lions we saw yesterday were on the bait that had been placed. Two males, and the single female. They are going to sit tonight.

We eat a late lunch and then go back to checking baits. Nothing yet, but still early in the game.

The evening will turn into a night of great highs, and lows. But that is for tomorrow.

With some of our zebra baits hung, and one left in the truck, we check a couple of baits, then we head to a likely large pan where we have seen a good track. It is mid morning.
View attachment 407268
We walk about 150 yds to the edge of the water and find a good tree, so now we signal the trackers to bring the bait.

As Pete and I are waiting on the tracker to bring in the zebra quarter, we both hear it. The low bellow of buffalo. He looks at me, I look at him, and he says as I am already moving “get your gun.”

With the .416 in hand we start navigating through the thick jess. Openings pop open, we stop, and listen, we keep moving to the sound. We have not traveled 100 yards when Manu stops us. We have walked up to the tail end of a large buffalo herd. How large, we did not know at the time. Sticks up, when suddenly a cow steps out at 25 yards and dead eyes us. We do not move. The wind is good but starting to swirl. The cow senses something not right and trots off starting the whole herd moving.

We use the opportunity to relax for 15 minutes while Pete disposes of dinner, and I smoke a fine cigar. This is the opening we were standing in when the cow spied us. The boys chat about the wind, where the buff were headed in Shona. I of course and fluent in none of it. I spent 4 trips to Tanzania learning basic Swahili. That does me zero good here in Zim, but thankfully all the guys speak english, so they let me know what is being discussed.
View attachment 407276View attachment 407278View attachment 407279

We regroup and head out hot on the trail, not hard to follow because now the group is very vocal. Our scout says he knows another close by pan they are heading to so we head that way. Little did we know the big herd split in two, and we now find ourselves smack between both groups. We can see the tell tale black bodies and legs moving through the bush at about 40-50 yds, so we set up the sticks by a bush, and start to watch the buff pass by.

A good bull enters the field of view feeding, but he is facing us, and there is some thick cover between us and him. Patience Uncle Morty, Patience. He feeds closer, but deeper into the bush, still facing us. Just then, a cow eases into the opening between us and the bull feeding. My butt puckers, my palms sweat. Will she bust us before the shot. She keeps feeding, but while she does, the bull turns away from to feed only giving me the Texas heart shot. Crap. Crap. Crap. The slight breeze is suddenly on my neck. The cow snorts once, then turns and runs away. The herd starts to move off but I stay glued on the sticks.

And then, Pete with binos up says bull coming. Old bull. All I needed to hear. As if I won the lottery, a single old dugga boy, pulling up the rear vanguard, walks right into the opening where the first bull should have gone. He never stops walking, but I am confident I can make the shot in the brief window of opportunity. I place the Trijicon post reticle just ahead of his shoulder and wait the fraction of a second it takes for the last step to complete the picture. Blam! The gun touches off and the bull just starts to run. Pete looks at me with that WTF just happened look. I muster my best air of confidence and say”it was a good hit”. Later Pete would tell me his concern was that the buff never reacted. He was afraid of a real cluster. Just then as I am starting my second wave of stating it all felt good, we hear the death below! Kufa. Old bull down. We make our way about 30-40 yds to the bull, put a finisher into him for good measure, and start the hugs. By Pete’s estimation, he is an old bull, 12 years or older. His horns are worn, broomed and split. His boss is rubbed smooth in places. His back is caked in mud, and the scars are too numerous to count. He is just the kind of buff I love.
View attachment 407282
View attachment 407283View attachment 407285

It was a perfect heart shot. I give Pete some shit for doubting, but I remember this is the first time he has hunted with me, so temper the abuse somewhat. As if to silently say we’re all good, Pete photo bombs my camera which we be a trademark of any time I give him my phone for pictures. Remember the zebra bait? Photo bomb. Buff. Photo bomb.
View attachment 407286View attachment 407287

So we get the buff loaded, but head back to hang the bait as we originally started that morning. It could not be more than 500 yards from the bait tree to where the buff took his dirt nap. My kind of buff hunt. The team hangs the bait while I enjoy a lovely Cuban Partagas cigar, complete with camp chair, in the shade. A moment to reflect and be treasured.
View attachment 407288

We head to the skinning shed with buff, and see that Big Mike has taken a nice dark giraffe for bait. We get the news that the lions we saw yesterday were on the bait that had been placed. Two males, and the single female. They are going to sit tonight.

We eat a late lunch and then go back to checking baits. Nothing yet, but still early in the game.

The evening will turn into a night of great highs, and lows. But that is for tomorrow.
Woooow! So cool! Congratulations on getting that tough old Buff!
Really enjoying to report, keep it coming.

And give that kid a slap on the shoulder for me for wearing that Packers T-shirt! Lol

Certainly a great story for the zebra rug! Congrats on the buff!

Congratulations on a great buff, now the rest of the story....

Cant wait to read the rest. Thanks!

Nnniiiccceee duggaboy! Lovin the report- keep it coming!

Nice buff. Congrats on making the most of that opportunity.
Bruce

Yeah baby, yeah!!!!!! What a beautiful old warrior, congratulations! Enjoying all the pictures, specially the ones with the cigars. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Love the story & photos - Can't wait for more, Mort!

Yeah baby, yeah!!!!!! What a beautiful old warrior, congratulations! Enjoying all the pictures, specially the ones with the cigars. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

As we have joked on the other thread, the cigar count seems somewhat obscene. However, it really is simple math. I took a box of Cuban Partagas, a box of Comacho Corojo, a box of My Father Le Bijou 1922, a box of Archetype, and 100 of Class 34 Blend #19, the everyday smoke.

The premiums were divided up over 16 days of hunting, with 4 extra each box for travel days or celebrations. Camacho with with coffee before breakfast, My Father at Lunch, Archetype before dinner, and the finisher being the Partagas after dinner with coffee. The Class 34 were just fill ins and those were about 5-8 per day depending on how much bait checking we doing.

So there you have it. How to smoke 183 cigars ion a 16 day safari. For this and other ways to go broke, sign on to the cigar thread and check it out. Lots of enablers!

I love the math and logic, well said. LOL. I can see how easy it is to smoke more while on vacation (hunting) than being at home dealing with all the honey dos, work, and what not. Well done, you are the hero of the cigar thread. :) (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonneSly

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia