.425 Express?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 53080
  • Start date Start date
@Badboymelvin
Your rifle is ideal for what you want mate. Even fits me like a glove. The stock is just fine for mitigating recoil as I find it a pussy cat that roars.
Ideal weight for that sambar country.
Bob

Thanks Bob (y)

You ARE someone who can comment on my rifle mate - as you have actually laid hands on it, shouldered it and fired it.

I think recoil is stout as it's putting out around 60ft/lbs - but its not a problem in the field, just as none of my .458's, .375's, .338's, .375 Weatherby, etc... have been a problem in the field either...

I think pointing out the 'flaws' of someone else's custom rifle based on 1 photo and without having even laid eyes on it is pretty poor form...

Russ

I think pointing out the 'flaws' of someone else's custom rifle based on 1 photo and without having even laid eyes on it is pretty poor form...
Hey, if You wanna get stroked, go to the Zoo!
I said what I thought and If You can‘t take the punch, (weather from my words or from Your own gun) why do You post pics? Nobody asked You to!
Did You expect just uuuuhs and aaaahs for this idea of a „custom gun“ after Your 30 year’s experience?
Sorry when I didn‘t meet Your expectations!

Hey, if You wanna get stroked, go to the Zoo!
I said what I thought and If You can‘t take the punch, (weather from my words or from Your own gun) why do You post pics? Nobody asked You to!
Did You expect just uuuuhs and aaaahs for this idea of a „custom gun“ after Your 30 year’s experience?
Sorry when I didn‘t meet Your expectations!

SMH…

If anyone does have any questions regarding the 425 Express, just message me and I’ll help as much as l can…

I have a bit of load data on hand that worked well in my rifle (so that’s a start) and l can help with correctly headstamped brass.

It’s a great cartridge and if someone want to go down this route, I’ll help as much as l can.

Russ

Dear Big Bore Friends,

Surfing for all interesting things about Big Game and Co. I stumbled over this thread.
This is quiet some days back but I like to contribute some more information about this great cartridge, the .425 Express Magnum.

First I like to tell You, that I've lived more than 15 years in southern africa, being very much engaged to everything concerning hunting african game. That is now more than 20 years ago.
As today there was in these days and the days before the ultimate question, which caliber is suitable, to handle next to all situations, which can occure in the african bush. The local african farmers weren't so much concerned about diameter and energy, mostly the 30-06 Springfield was used to handle all, which needed final solutions.
Sometimes on the farms, if one shot wasn't enough in the one or other case, quantity did the job at least, means fire until no life signs were shown from the target anymore.

To be fair, I have to mention that those farmers were mostly splendid shooters and the .30 caliber in their hands was a serious combination, because they knew how and where to place the shot. Oryx, Kudu, Hartebeest or even Eland was harvested with the 30-06. No problem!!
Cats or bigger needed more attention and ammo. Besides, 30-06 ammo was cheap and all time available from PMP made in RSA.

For me as an european hunter, it had to be more than just doing the trick with an ordinary 30-06, it had to be a big bore rifle with an impressive datasheet and a even so impressive cartridge.
Most used or new big bore rifles, which were available in african gun shops these days, where of two types: Totally screwed or unaffordable.
So I decided to built my own. Parts like Barrel, stock, trigger were quickly decided.
Due to the fact, that I'm a great admirer of the Mauser K98 bolt action, nothing else was even an option. The question about the caliber was a more time taking decission. First I was with the .458 Winchester Magnum. Handloaded with good 350 Grain bullets for daily business, generating next to 30-06 outside ballistics, and the 500 Grainers for closer and bigger sized game, there wasn't much empty space.
Sadly there was that rumour, that the .458 had often problems with powder clumping and due to that missfires, I discarded that idea and searched for another caliber, fitting into those affordable but also limited 98 action dimensions.
At that time I read about this .425 Express Magnum and was fired up. At once my "how-to-get-hold-of-components" mill started to spin. Due to .300 Winchester brass, which was left by lots of hunting tourists, which seemed to love the fast burner, brass wouldn't be a problem feeding the 425. In one of the older hardware stores I had found a bulk of old and dusty Woodleigh bullets 400 Grain for the .404 Jeffrey, which has the bore diameter of .423.
To my luck, that was exactly the bullet, the .425 Express was eating too. So those 300 bullets changed the owner very quickly for a special rack cleaning price and made the final configuration. So I ordered a gun smith in Capetown, who was willing to do the job to built me that gun. An old but pristine action from WW I, a Mauser K98 signed 1908, from Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken BERLIN, made for Brasil, was transplanted smoothly as it feeded cartridges from the magazin into my project. Even so a barrel from USA and a "break-like-glas" Timney trigger.
Some month later I had my .425 Express Magnum with a fitty Safari walnut stock in my hands. RCBS had sended me allready the dies. All together for sure no bargain, but what a hell of fun. Here we go!!

Just one thing has to be said about this cartridge: Wow !!
The .425 Express Magnum fullfilled all my dreams about a bigbore rifle. Everything I shot at, didn't do anything more than collapsing in it's tracks. Buffalo, Giraffe, Hippo, Crocodile or even tiny bushbok or waterhole warthog, nothing went lost.
Reloading is easy, shooting is a pleasure, because it's no thumper and it kills like being hit with a big hammer. What a great gun, what a great cartridge.
The only thing I changed in my configuration was the use of new and branded brass.
I ordered them in big number new from a manufacturer in Germany.
In the upper thread You will find those " RO SCH .425 Expr." shells, which are out of my lot.

Now I still have quiet some brandnew .425 Express brass left, which I offer to all, who are, same as me, owner of gunnery fitted with this wonderfull cartridge.

If You need new and originally stamped brass for the .425 Express Magnum, please contact me. I'm sure, we come along concerning pricing.

Good hunting and always good wind

Roland
Dear 425 Express Magnum Fans,

I sold now the last 425 brass, I had available!
Thank You for Your interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerryGrubb

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia