Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Love it, but it's too expensive

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • On the fence, could go either way

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Not worth the price at all, I'll stick with what I'm using

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
@HankBuck - At some point, it's the responsibility of the hunter to make ethical shots resulting in quickly dispatching game. All other things being equal, TSS is just better. Yes, you will pay a little more in price per shell. But when it comes to the field, are you really paying more? IGS and I go through a bunch of shells but drop a bunch of birds too. Mostly what I see are guys using steel, bismuth and blends shooting two and three times at the same bird and then it still needs a finishing shot. So, are they really saving money?

I handed a couple of guys in NY some TSS shells while we were hunting in the field in layout blinds. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them said the birds dropped quicker! They couldn't believe the difference. I'm not sure if they are investing in TSS now or not, but I am positive that they know the difference. TSS just hits different. Once you experience it, you will never forget it.

Look at this video and let me know how far off the bird is and if it was in range of steel, bismuth or blends with the same results.

Hunting is hunting, whether it's goose, whitetail or Cape buffalo. Would you use an un-bonded cup-and-core bullet on a buffalo hunt because Swift A-Frames or Barnes TSX are too expensive...of course not. Concerned about the volume of shots adding up to big $$$ while waterfowling, be more selective about the shots you do take. Leave the sky-blasting to the armatures.

It's not an easy decision, I get it. It's financial, it's ethics and a whole lot more as well. There is no perfect answer that fits for everyone.

When you’re sitting in the blind, add up all the costs of the equipment and the to get you there and back. Ammunition just isn’t a big costs overall to most, particularly compared to performance

I don't have a problem with anyone using it but for me it doesn't coincide with some of the ways that I hunt.

I like turkey hunting up close and personal, I want to shoot birds at 10 paces as opposed to 60 or more yards.
For close hunting turkeys I see no difference between TSS and lead #5's.

I get the more stopping power for waterfowl, I also see decoying cupping ducks as a close game. Lots of pass shooting sky blasters around my parts.

I do miss the old lead Nitro Mags from my youth!

When you’re sitting in the blind, add up all the costs of the equipment and the to get you there and back. Ammunition just isn’t a big costs overall to most, particularly compared to performance
Amen.

FYI - The bird I dropped with a single shot in that video was at 45 yards and pulling away from me.

@HankBuck - At some point, it's the responsibility of the hunter to make ethical shots resulting in quickly dispatching game. All other things being equal, TSS is just better. Yes, you will pay a little more in price per shell. But when it comes to the field, are you really paying more? IGS and I go through a bunch of shells but drop a bunch of birds too. Mostly what I see are guys using steel, bismuth and blends shooting two and three times at the same bird and then it still needs a finishing shot. So, are they really saving money?

I handed a couple of guys in NY some TSS shells while we were hunting in the field in layout blinds. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them said the birds dropped quicker! They couldn't believe the difference. I'm not sure if they are investing in TSS now or not, but I am positive that they know the difference. TSS just hits different. Once you experience it, you will never forget it.

Look at this video and let me know how far off the bird is and if it was in range of steel, bismuth or blends with the same results.

Hunting is hunting, whether it's goose, whitetail or Cape buffalo. Would you use an un-bonded cup-and-core bullet on a buffalo hunt because Swift A-Frames or Barnes TSX are too expensive...of course not. Concerned about the volume of shots adding up to big $$$ while waterfowling, be more selective about the shots you do take. Leave the sky-blasting to the armatures.

It's not an easy decision, I get it. It's financial, it's ethics and a whole lot more as well. There is no perfect answer that fits for everyone.
@BeeMaa - after you shoot 1000+ ducks & geese with Steel then you will have a completed study AND the $$ you save to do that “Study” will fund you a lifetime supply of TSS. You will be shocked how many 40-50 yard killing shots you will make with Steel. My Son and I had an LLC to Guide Waterfowl and did it for 3 seasons (2007-09) we lost $$ but had fun. Some clients used Hevi shot or Kent matrix and also Tungston - there was no TSS as I recall. Clients that could shoot (rare) dropped birds but most wanted us to “shoot & finish off” whatever they missed or crippled - we always used Steel and a Mod choke 12 ga, 2 3/4 or 3” shells…they work fine. Like a shooting a Cape Buffalo with
A .470 NE vs a .375 H&H - both kill very well but if you can shoot the .470 equal to the .375 H&H you have a bigger margin for error. I’m in full agreement that When you only duck/goose hunt a few times a year - and it’s a Special occasion and you need everything tilted in your favor — TSS, Hevi Shot etc..can give you every possible advantage. I’m sure you will kill a few extra birds but Not many more. My own “small study” involved shooting one 10 round box of Hevi Shot almost every hunt for a couple seasons (I got a good deal $14 per 10 rd Box) and the 6s or 7 1/2s definitely hit harder. One duck shot with Hevi was the only time I ever picked up a dead Mallard and could feel his Bones were crushed - he felt like a run-over-bag-of-Potato chips….I was laughing and also impressed….but he was no “deader” then birds squared with #3 steel. TSS is at least 4 to 5 times the cost of Steel - I order Steel for $25 a box — get it by the case and wait for free shipping deals..unless you are getting a 25 rounds of TSS for Under $100? - TSS cost Much more. It’s Better and if my Life depended on killing a limit of ducks/geese - I would use it too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheenaFord

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia