another 375 H&H slow load question

Looking for anyone with experience downloading 375 to 9.3x62 territory.

Since my wife has never shot anything with thump, I want to work up a load with a 250 gr (Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, etc), or possibly Hammer's 220 or 256 gr, that will come in at under 30 ft lbs of recoil in my new Ruger #1 tropical.

I'll likely be using Varget over the other medium rate spherical I have since they seem to perform more consistently with powder charges above 95% fill.

At the upper 20s, that's roughly the same as a lightweight 30-06 pushing 200 gr or heavier bullets, so shouldn't be a bad intro to medium bore.
@sgt_zim
After reading the 9.3x62 journal ( a very enlightening read) they found that penetration on game was better with the 375 at slower velocity and there wasn't much difference in performance on game.
Bob

Looking for anyone with experience downloading 375 to 9.3x62 territory.

Since my wife has never shot anything with thump, I want to work up a load with a 250 gr (Barnes, Hornady, Sierra, etc), or possibly Hammer's 220 or 256 gr, that will come in at under 30 ft lbs of recoil in my new Ruger #1 tropical.

I'll likely be using Varget over the other medium rate spherical I have since they seem to perform more consistently with powder charges above 95% fill.

At the upper 20s, that's roughly the same as a lightweight 30-06 pushing 200 gr or heavier bullets, so shouldn't be a bad intro to medium bore.
@sgt_zim
You could just try using minimum loads of H4350 for a given projectile. This would give even slightly lower recoil because the powder charge would be less for a given weight than varget. Less projecta mass equals less recoil and muzzle blast.
Bob

It's a Ruger #1, so a little light for 375 H&H, I think factory spec on it is around 8.5#, plus a scope will get me a little over 9#. I have a heavy PAST pad I use for my 404J, definitely part of the equation.

I had a couple 30-06, but I sold them both years ago. My 9.3 is just way too long for her to shoot - LOP is 14.75 to fit me. I have some nice, mild loads for Oryx at a bit under 2300 fps, the rifle is just too long for her.

I'm checking with a couple buddies to see if I could borrow a 30-06 or 300 WSM, but I think I'm going to have to find a slow load with a light bullet for the Ruger.
@sgt_zim
You could always order another stock from Ruger and cut it to fit her then add some lead to the stock to increase the weight.
With 2 stocks you have a rifle that fits both of you.
Bob

@sgt_zim
You could always order another stock from Ruger and cut it to fit her then add some lead to the stock to increase the weight.
With 2 stocks you have a rifle that fits both of you.
Bob
Bob, she's about 5'11". I suspect the OEM LOP is going to be right where it needs to be, or perhaps a skosh short. She has a long neck and long arms. The recoil pad looks OEM, I may replace that anyway, we'll see when I finally take possession of it in a week or so (should arrive at my dealer's house tomorrow). I'm in Baton Rouge taking care of Mom until next weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeraMarsh2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia