Culling belts and cartridge slides

+1 on a really nice buff, if you do not mind me asking, where did you find him? Country?

South Africa, Northwest, Kalahari Bushvelt

It would not work for me.

I have tried the wandering about with two rifle cartridges suspended between the fingers of the left hand and find it so annoying that it is not worth the effort. But that would indeed be a left-hand load.

For me, and I own and shoot a lot of SxS's, rifle and shotgun, the right hand load is far more natural. Of course, I shoot many thousands of rounds more with a shotgun than a rifle. I break open the gun, maintain the left-hand hold, grab two rounds (rifle or shells) from the right hand pouch, pocket, or shell holder, drop them in the chambers, close the gun, and am ready to fire.

I should note, I also do a lot of driven bird shooting where I am carrying a shell bag. It is impossible to shoot naturally right-handed with a shell strap crossing the pocket of the right shoulder to suspend the bag on the left side.

The left hand drill could work on SxS rifles and shotguns that are assisted opening like the Boss, H&H, and especially the Beasley action used by Purdey. Often OU shotguns will wear in sufficiently for the barrels to drop under their own weight when the latch is moved to the right. That is rarely the case with the vast majority of SxS actions which are non-assisted - at least in my experience. However, when using a shell bag, one would still have the mounting issue.

A left-hand ammunition carry would be particularly onerous with a bolt action.
Not for us south paws!

I have bought several cartridge belts over the years that have all been fine. I do prefer the canvas ones over all leather belts because of the corrasion caused by the leather.
Culling Belts.jpg

I have bought several cartridge belts over the years that have all been fine. I do prefer the canvas ones over all leather belts because of the corrasion caused by the leather.View attachment 642642

If you haven't already. To help prevent corrosion occasionally swab a very light amount of Bore Butter, light oil/grease, saddle soap, into the shell pockets to act as a barrier to help prevent the leaching of the corrosive chemicals used in the leather tanning process.

Couldn’t find one for the .505 Gibbs so ended up making one based on Richard Harlands hand made belt. I used kudu leather and a shotgun padded army style belt as the base.

Attachments

• A24D443A-625E-4CE6-85E9-CA01202B7A5E.jpeg
    A24D443A-625E-4CE6-85E9-CA01202B7A5E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • BF9C1295-5CDE-46D2-9DD4-B1746973DD1D.jpeg
    BF9C1295-5CDE-46D2-9DD4-B1746973DD1D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
If I can't kill a buffalo with four 400 grain 404 Jeffery in the gun and five on the belt, I guess I deserve to be stomped to death. I can see no sense in carrying fifteen rounds in the field. My five round ammo wallet is made of Cape buffalo leather.
View attachment 567587
This slide was made for 375. I soaked the buffalo leather in neetsfoot oil and then forced five dummy 404 rounds into the pockets upside down. That sufficiently stretched the slots to fit the larger cartridges. Just slightly snug so they don't fall out but easily dislodged in my fingers in a hurry if needed. African Game Industries made it and a host of other leather items from African hides. Their skeet bags look very nice. Prices are reasonable and all made in USA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatrinaGdz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia