KMG Hunting Safaris 2024 Season Photos

Hi Marius, which caliber and bullet was used?
For this specific hunt, we used my .308Win loaded with 130gr monolithic solids. Very happy with the results with minimum damage to the hide.

This big bodied Bushbuck ram was hunted in one of our free range areas. This ram has a peculiar shape to his horns with incredible mass. Bushbuck are one of the spiral horned antelope, but there was almost zero spiral to this individual animal. Straight horns, but with incredible mass, this was simply a behemoth in his own right. Added a close up of the ram's horns to show the great mass he held all the way to the top, as well as the extraordinary shape.

IMG20240611131201.jpeg

IMG20240611131533.jpg

As we proceeded to make our way to what felt like Mount Everest, I picked up a Kudu bull on a drop off, at the end of of a valley at almost a 1000 yards away. The bull was sunning/feeding but definitely motivated at moving to his bedding area. As the saying goes, never leave fish to find fish. We turned around, and headed in the direction of the bull. Getting some height would be paramount to any chance at success. We climbed the opposite hill, losing sight of the bull for roughly 45 minutes. Once at the top, we slowly moved all along the edge, peering down into the valley, unbeknown whether the bull had descended or whether he was still hanging around the edge. We ran into a troop of Baboons at first, but the got out of the way. We sat down for 10 minutes and used the time to scan to try and pick up any type of movement. Quite a few Waterbuck cows, Kudu cows, and even another good Kudu bull. The second bull spotted was certainly a nice bull, but I had seen something on the first bull that made me want to sit an extra few minutes. All of the animals were unaware of our presence. After roughly 30 minutes of glassing, we decided to move a little bit closer to where we had seen the first bull. As we got up, there was a disturbance below, with the unmistaken sounds of stones rolling from something running on the opposite hill. I quickly got the hunter prone while scanning for the movement. The bull that we had seen, must have picked up the movement, and got nervous. Our height advantage meant that we could keep eyes on him. Range across the valley was a comfortable 220 yards. Once our hunter picked him up and followed him through the scope, I got the bull to stop. A single shot was all that was needed. Notice the beautiful warn down Ivory tip on the bull's left horn. Not the deepest bull, but he ticked all of the boxes. Old age, great shape and one that will make most hunters proud.

IMG20240613104016.jpg

IMG20240613140240.jpg

Last day of our 10 day safari had us looking for a Common Duiker. Common Duiker are known to have a relatively small home range, and I had seen two large rams in one of our free range areas the previous year. Since the free range areas are only open during June and July, I knew that chances were good that they would still be around, unless a predator got involved. The order of the day again was to try and get close with the little Hornet. From roughly 500 yards away, I saw this ram feeding and confirmed that he was a very good ram through the Spotting Scope. Leaving my tracker to keep and eye on him, I had him guide us in with the radio. Once we were only 70 or so yards away, we realized that it was going to be quite tough to see him in the long grass. He would need to to step into a patch with openings among the shrub. Even after being explained exactly where he was via certain beacons, we still could not identify him.
A small movement caught my eye just as we had decided to break for lunch and come back in the afternoon, only to see the ram eating on one of the more open clearings roughly 80 yards away.
We proceeded to crawl with shooting sticks in order to try and close the distance, keeping a single bush between us and the ram. Once we got to the only shrub that was in the clearing, I managed to get a range on the ram at 62 yards. I opened the shooting sticks from a lying down position, without being noticed and duly explained to our hunter until he could see the outline of the ram. After getting him onto his haunches, we waited for the ram to turn his head while he was feeding, giving us just enough time to move into a shooting position. Once the hunter stood up, he had already settled the rifle onto the shooting sticks when the ram noticed the movement. Duiker will often freeze, giving you enough time to get a shot off. The little Hornet barked and we watched the ram go down.
With some great secondary growth to this ram, and quite a few teeth missing, we could not be happier in taking this superb specimen.

IMG20240614092118.jpg

IMG20240614092337.jpg

IMG20240614092359.jpg

Another beaut of a ram coming out of one of our free range areas. We are always so excited for June and July to arrive that open up these areas for us when it comes to Bushbuck.
Something big coming up for this trip. Stay tuned for an absolutely incredible animal.

IMG_4293.jpg

I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as luck or coincidence. Only blessings from above. If it is meant for you, it will happen.
When I sat down at the Dallas Safari Club Convention with our hunter to start planning his trip two years in advance, he mentioned that he wanted a big Kudu. "Something in the 55" range", he said with a smirk. This made me extremely uneasy. I had to explain that we have the Cape Kudu in our areas. When we met at the convention the following year, he reminded me of his desire of a 55" Kudu, but I guess he could see the sweat beads appear, and jokingly relieved me of my stroke.
We decided to send him to one of our free range areas where we know he would have a chance at a big bull. This was late June, so the rut was done. It wouldn't be easy, but we never give up. Ever.
The previous evening, he had missed a big bull at last light. Excitement got the better of him. As they say, a good Professional Hunter will be your mechanic, your priest, your psychologist and everything else that goes along with making for a successful safari. We had our work cut out keeping spirits up that evening. We still had time.
The next day, he was presented with a shot on this behemoth of a bull. This time, there was no mistake. Ice in the veins. When things don't go your way on safari, always keep in mind that there was a reason for it. There might just be something better around the next corner. Could not happen to a nicer guy.

IMG_4477.jpg

IMG-20240627-WA0018.jpg

Just because we move closer to the off season, doesn't mean that we can simply sit back as far as predator control is concerned. It is a year round effort. Keeping predators in check is paramount to the survival of the local small game species, as well as small stock, especially since we are surrounded by cattle and small stock farmers. Without Caracal being high on many hunters' lists, hounds-men simply would not be able to run this incredible program. The trophy fees on these animals goes a long way to cover food, medical bills as well as job creation to the individuals who put countless hours and miles down every single day.
Finding a fresh kill goes a long way in the success of the hounds bumping a cat. Here was a lamb that had been caught, as well as a Bushbuck ewe. Below each photo, the perpetrators. Also see the short clip of the hounds working a track. Notice how everyone's attention changes direction once the lead dogs show the way around the 38 second mark.

IMG-20241017-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20241017-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20241017-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20241017-WA0017.jpg

An absolute tank of a bull for our hunter here in the mountains of the Eastern Cape. Shot was taken at roughly 40 yards, frontal. Shot went through the neck, taking out the top of the lungs. Notice the swollen face on the bull, no doubt from the pressure of the shot.
I have another photo of the swollen face, which is too graphic to post. If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me.

IMG20240808113355.jpg

IMG20240808113437.jpg

An absolute tank of a bull for our hunter here in the mountains of the Eastern Cape. Shot was taken at roughly 40 yards, frontal. Shot went through the neck, taking out the top of the lungs. Notice the swollen face on the bull, no doubt from the pressure of the shot.
I have another photo of the swollen face, which is too graphic to post. If anyone is interested, please feel free to PM me.

View attachment 641175
View attachment 641176
That is an ugly swollen face! The Buff is good but:D

Cat and mouse was the order of the day after setting out to hunt Eland. We connected on this stellar bull after a few failed stalks. Not many animals as impressive and a proper Eland bull.

IMG20240812121740.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wi88newearthdeal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia