Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
South Africa, Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Well, really, it's for the missus. And if she decides she doesn't want it, I have a son who'd be quite interested.

1728867465229.png

Nice!

Funny.... but congratulations to the misses or to your son... or to you

Funny.... but congratulations to the misses or to your son... or to you
Definitely not for me. I like my 9.3x62 with its 286 gr a frames at 2475, and already have a bigger thumper in 404J. I'm just not one of those guys who'll have more than 1 rifle in the same class for myself.

You’re going to like that #1!
I have shot #1s that have the tightest groups while holding the forearm & resting that hand on the sand bag.

I picked it up yesterday.

It weighs 8.6#. Now to decide on a scope. Scope and rings should get me right at 10#.

Very much leaning towards this:

I don't really care about the CDS, but IMO the 2-10x42 is about the perfect do-all hunting scope, especially one with a fire dot.

This one is also in the mix:

Last edited:
Congratulations! That's a great rifle chambered in a classic round.

IMO the 2-10x42 is about the perfect do-all hunting scope, especially one with a fire dot.

Agreed. I really liked having a S&B 1.5-8x42 Stratos on my Ruger No. 1A in 6.5x55 Swede. It was just about perfect for the hunting that I do. There is one in the classifieds right now but it's more expensive than the Leupold you're considering.

AH_Ruger_02.jpg

My Swarovski z6 1.7-10x42 confirmed that this is one my favorite zoom ranges too. My Ruger No. 1S in 9.3x74r is wearing a Minox ZA5 1.5-8x32 which works really well especially since I grabbed it used in pristine condition for $225.

I have a Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24 RD on one of my Rugers & I really like it a lot. The reticle on this particular model is a little thinner than I would have preferred but I got such a good deal on it, it was a compromise I was willing to make.

AH_Meostar.jpg

There was one on sale here in the classifieds last week for about half price but it didn't last long.

I have a Winchester 1885 Safari Octagon in 375 H&H with a Zeiss 6x42mm MC on it. A single shot falling block in that caliber is a really nice rifle to have.

I picked it up yesterday.

It weighs 8.6#. Now to decide on a scope. Scope and rings should get me right at 10#.

Very much leaning towards this:

I don't really care about the CDS, but IMO the 2-10x42 is about the perfect do-all hunting scope, especially one with a fire dot.

My favorite rifle with my favorite scope ( vx5 2-10.illuminated) The.375 H&H is a do it all but small game.
I took mine on what was, and probably always will be, my only African safari.
Warthog, Impala, Blesbok, Zebra, and Sable.
I’m 5’9”, 175 and 70 years old .
I can shoot the.375 till my billfold cries and not have a problem. (Except for the billfold)
It’s just a wonderful combination!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaSt

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia