Plan for a used bespoke rifle

As someone who is also currently looking to buy a “bespoke” dangerous game ready bolt action rifle I have narrowed it down to the following production rifles.

1. Mauser M98
2. Heym Express
3. Rigby Big Game
4. Parkwest Arms SD-76

All of the above should be able to be had within your budget. I am still weighing the options between 375HH, 416 Rigby and 450 Rigby.
Excellent choices! Some very experienced and knowledgeable AH folks can’t say enough good about the Heym Martini Express. A very astute AH member pointed out there is nothing like physically handling the rifle, shouldering, working the bolt, getting a feel for it. Can’t do that sight unseen and for that kind of money, he’s right, it calls for that. I like your ranking, except I’d switch #2 for #1.

Excellent choices! Some very experienced and knowledgeable AH folks can’t say enough good about the Heym Martini Express. A very astute AH member pointed out there is nothing like physically handling the rifle, shouldering, working the bolt, getting a feel for it. Can’t do that sight unseen and for that kind of money, he’s right, it calls for that. I like your ranking, except I’d switch #2 for #1.
I have to agree. 2 and 4 will allow you a nice optic and some cash in hand. I truly don't think you can get even a used Rigby big game or Mauser for under 15k these days.
With initial shot placement being the most important thing (to me at least) i would always go for then, a weapon that is customized to me dimensions and LOP. But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Oh, yes for sure, if I could find one in my price point.
You certainly can find a pre-Martini Heym well within the middle of your price range. Can probably find a nice Martini at the upper end. Solid rifles either way.

You certainly can find a pre-Martini Heym well within the middle of your price range. Can probably find a nice Martini at the upper end. Solid rifles either way.
Thanks, will definitely keep my eyes peeled.

Keep your eyes on Martini Canada Guns. Ralf seems to always have some real beauties he can easily tweak to your diminsions
Thanks, was just on his site!

You can buy two Dakota 76’s and still be within budget. Think their craftsmanship is world class and is always a neck turner in hunting camp. Good luck on your search. All the rifles that have been mentioned are great options.

You can buy two Dakota 76’s and still be within budget. Think their craftsmanship is world class and is always a neck turner in hunting camp. Good luck on your search. All the rifles that have been mentioned are great options.
I absolutely love the Dakota 76 but one would suffice. I have no problem being under budget and spending more on African hunts. :)

Why not have a gun made for you? I built this 404J last year from a military surplus 8mm Czech 98 Mauser. About $2500 all in but I did most of the work myself.
20240420_112851.jpg

Why not have a gun made for you? I built this 404J last year from a military surplus 8mm Czech 98 Mauser. About $2500 all in but I did most of the work myself.
View attachment 642664
That’s a handsome 404. I’m not handy like you, pretty good at destroying things though! :)

It’s certainly a consideration, but I would most likely want to buy someone’s used bespoke custom rifle for considerably less and save time on the wait.

My understanding, BJH65, is that a "bespoke" rifle is built to the customer's specifications.

For example, some decades ago I had Griffin & Howe build for me a .340 Wby on a BRNO ZKK 602 action (these were the dry days when original Mauser Magnum actions were quasi impossible to find and before Mauser resumed production of the magnum 98), 26" medium weight barrel with barrel band front & rear sights and front swivel post; quarter rib; Bastogne walnut stock to my measured dimensions; Suhl claw mounts; classic red rubber recoil pad; linseed hand-rubbed finish; etc. etc.

Limited production rifles such as Heym, Mauser, Rigby, Dakota, etc. do not really meet the definition of "bespoke".

All of that to say that you seem to be looking for a high quality rifle, but not necessarily a "bespoke" rifle.

In that vein, I would share that my own evolution has been to actually sell my bespoke and other limited production rifles (e.g. Dumoulin, Mauser, Heym, Mannlicher Luxus, etc.), and even my Krieghoff double .470, not so much for financial reasons but for lack of use reason, after I replaced them all with a Blaser R8.

Beside the convenience of the R8 to bring 3 scoped calibers to Africa in an airline-compliant gun case <62" linear and <50 lbs., which is necessary if you diversify your hunting to include in the same trip DG and MG (mountain game) in the Karoo, Ethiopia, Uganda, etc., I find tremendous value in the fact that you always shoot the same rifle, from home or urban shooting range practice in .22 LR, all the way to (in my case) .458 Lott, through .375 H&H, .300 Wby, .257 Wby, not to mention .223 Rem for 300 yard practice.

"Beware of the one-rifle man, he probably knows how to use it" is definitely grounded in reality, and as good as the .375 H&H is, it is lacking in stopping power for DG, and in range for PG and MG, and the reality is that we never shoot our DG calibers enough. You will likely never become a 2 MOA shooter from the sticks with a .375 H&H (you simply will not shoot it often enough), but the .22 LR barrel of the R8 will make you one with regular practice, and this will translate seamlessly to all other R8 barrels/calibers.

My recommendation would be to think long and hard about a R8, because beside being as well made and as reliable as the best of small production rifles, it will provide multiple advantages over a sole .375 H&H rifle. Besides, you can spread the financial impact over years as you can add barrels when financially convenient, without killing your Safari budget if you plan a little bit.

To each our own, but I find it interesting that most folks who buy a R8 seem in great majority to never, or very rarely, take their other rifles to Africa, even when they own many truly magnificent "African" rifles.

Just food for thought :)

Last edited:
Attend DSC or the SCI shows and head straight to the firearms section of those shows. All the big makers and dealers are there with lots to look at and handle and even purchase. It’s really your best option to shop for a quality rifle; there’s just so many to look over.

Ed Z

That’s a handsome 404. I’m not handy like you, pretty good at destroying things though! :)

It’s certainly a consideration, but I would most likely want to buy someone’s used bespoke custom rifle for considerably less and save time on the wait.
I started building that rifle in April last year and it was done in time for my fourth safari at the end of August. It had to go in the white - not enough time to get it blued. Didn't know you were in a hurry. I would expect most custom builders should be able to make you something in two years?

375 has plenty of stopping power. Rental 375 CZ 550 killed my two buffalo very nicely. R8 is just a gadget. I haul two rifles to hunt and do just fine. In fact they are both stuffed in a single gun Pelican case when I travel (the scopes are in carryon bag). I'm quite sure I have a helluva lot less than R8 pricetag invested in my two WWII war horses (Springfield 03A3 and the 404J Czech Mauser).

My understanding, BJH65, is that a "bespoke" rifle is built to the customer's specifications.

For example, some decades ago I had Griffin & Howe build for me a .340 Wby on a BRNO ZKK 602 action (these were the dry days when original Mauser Magnum actions were quasi impossible to find and before Mauser resumed production of the magnum 98), 26" medium weight barrel with barrel band front & rear sights and front swivel post; quarter rib; Bastogne walnut stock to my measured dimensions; Suhl claw mounts; classic red rubber recoil pad; linseed hand-rubbed finish; etc. etc.

Limited production rifles such as Heym, Mauser, Rigby, Dakota, etc. do not really meet the definition of "bespoke".

All of that to say that you seem to be looking for a high quality rifle, but not necessarily a "bespoke" rifle.

In that vein, I would share that my own evolution has been to actually sell my bespoke and other limited production rifles (e.g. Dumoulin, Mauser, Heym, Mannlicher Luxus, etc.), and even my Krieghoff double .470, not so much for financial reasons but for lack of use reason, after I replaced them all with a Blaser R8.

Beside the convenience of the R8 to bring 3 scoped calibers to Africa in an airline-compliant gun case <62" linear and <50 lbs., which is necessary if you diversify your hunting to include in the same trip DG and MG (mountain game) in the Karoo, Ethiopia, Uganda, etc., I find tremendous value in the fact that you always shoot the same rifle, from home or urban shooting range practice in .22 LR, all the way to (in my case) .458 Lott, through .375 H&H, .300 Wby, .257 Wby, not to mention .223 Rem for 300 yard practice.

"Beware of the one-rifle man, he probably knows how to use it" is definitely grounded in reality, and as good as the .375 H&H is, it is lacking in stopping power for DG, and in range for PG and MG, and the reality is that we never shoot our DG calibers enough. You will likely never become a 2 MOA shooter from the sticks with a .375 H&H (you simply will not shoot it often enough), but the .22 LR barrel of the R8 will make you one with regular practice, and this will translate seamlessly to all other R8 barrels/calibers.

My recommendation would be to think long and hard about a R8, because beside being as well made and as reliable as the best of small production rifles, it will provide multiple advantages over a sole .375 H&H rifle. Besides, you can spread the financial impact over years as you can add barrels when financially convenient, without killing your Safari budget if you plan a little bit.

To each our own, but I find it interesting that most folks who buy a R8 seem in great majority to never, or very rarely, take their other rifles to Africa, even when they own many truly magnificent "African" rifles.

Just food for thought :)
You’re quite right sir, unless I’m having a rifle specifically built to my personal specifications, it’s not really bespoke by definition, I have um erroneously misapplied the term. I suppose I was thinking in terms of a very nice handcrafted rifle from a high end maker but not necessarily built to my personal specs. :). My preference would always be 14 1/2 LOP but I could always live with less.

I currently possess a factory stock CZ 416 Rigby, custom Robar/AHR Brno 458 Lott for DG and have successfully used 416 Rigby and 416 Rem Mag on DG previously. For now, I plan on retaining these rifles and envisioned a bespoke er, uh high quality rifle as a supplement to them. It would be more of an all purpose rifle that I could also use for DG also. Personally, I would feel quite comfortable facing DG with a 375 H&H, I just happen to have an affinity for the 416’s, not sure why and thought I’d try out the 458 Lott just because. :)

Your arguments are very sound in regard to the Blaser R8. I do like the walnut stocked R8’s, I find them to be handsome rifles and I see some pretty good buys on used Blaser R8 rifles from time to time. In truth, I have no “need” for another rifle. I have rifles for every conceivable purpose, but I wouldn’t consider them of the highest quality or high end, more working class or low end custom rifles.

I envision a high quality (bespoke sounds better :) ) all purpose rifle, with 30-06 like trajectory, capable of handling African game up to and including Cape buffalo and one that I could use in North America as well. I’ve always liked the 375 H&H, every one I’ve ever shot has been comfortable to shoot and reasonably accurate or very accurate.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Attend DSC or the SCI shows and head straight to the firearms section of those shows. All the big makers and dealers are there with lots to look at and handle and even purchase. It’s really your best option to shop for a quality rifle; there’s just so many to look over.

Ed Z
I’m hopeful I can handle some at the upcoming Tulsa Gun Show in November.

You can get a Mauser 98 manum in the caliber you want in your price range with grade 5 to 7 range stock if look around..
Krish
Thanks Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudyDyason

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia