Planning my 2nd trip back to South Africa

BigKev15

Reaction score
Hello from sunny South Carolina and as written above I'm planning my 2nd trip back to South Africa to hunt an additional 14 different plains game species. I have a question, last time in Africa several of the concessions that I hunted required the use of a suppressor. Having recently purchased 2 of them I wanted to hear from someone that actually brought one over from the US. I've read so many conflicting stories that I'd really like to discuss this with someone that actually done it and can provide me with any information that will make the progress go along smoothly. I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question.

BigKev

Hi Kev,
As long as you list it on your 4457 form, you will be good. A suppressor is not a restricted item here in South Africa.

All the best with your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Hi Kev,
As long as you list it on your 4457 form, you will be good. A suppressor is not a restricted item here in South Africa.

All the best with your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
Marius,

Thank you Sir. Quite a few people have expressed that bringing a suppressor with me would be a nightmare and cause more problems than it's worth.

I was just over in South Africa a few months ago. I may have taken 2 suppressors with me. Everyone else traveling in my group may have as well. Put them in your checked bag and you are all set. No need to do anything else.

Do a search on here and you can go down a rabbit hole of federal regulations about the need for an export license to send one out of the country. In reality no one cares about your suppressor other than the ATF and a few states(New Jersey) that ban them. So flying United Airlines through EWR has a chance to be problematic. In reality it’s really not if they’re just in your checked bag.

Thant’s my opinion for what it’s worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VicenteBra

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia