Planning my 2nd trip back to South Africa

BigKev15

Reaction score
Hello from sunny South Carolina and as written above I'm planning my 2nd trip back to South Africa to hunt an additional 14 different plains game species. I have a question, last time in Africa several of the concessions that I hunted required the use of a suppressor. Having recently purchased 2 of them I wanted to hear from someone that actually brought one over from the US. I've read so many conflicting stories that I'd really like to discuss this with someone that actually done it and can provide me with any information that will make the progress go along smoothly. I'd like to thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my question.

BigKev

Hi Kev,
As long as you list it on your 4457 form, you will be good. A suppressor is not a restricted item here in South Africa.

All the best with your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Hi Kev,
As long as you list it on your 4457 form, you will be good. A suppressor is not a restricted item here in South Africa.

All the best with your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
Marius,

Thank you Sir. Quite a few people have expressed that bringing a suppressor with me would be a nightmare and cause more problems than it's worth.

I was just over in South Africa a few months ago. I may have taken 2 suppressors with me. Everyone else traveling in my group may have as well. Put them in your checked bag and you are all set. No need to do anything else.

Do a search on here and you can go down a rabbit hole of federal regulations about the need for an export license to send one out of the country. In reality no one cares about your suppressor other than the ATF and a few states(New Jersey) that ban them. So flying United Airlines through EWR has a chance to be problematic. In reality it’s really not if they’re just in your checked bag.

Thant’s my opinion for what it’s worth.

I was just over in South Africa a few months ago. I may have taken 2 suppressors with me. Everyone else traveling in my group may have as well. Put them in your checked bag and you are all set. No need to do anything else.

Do a search on here and you can go down a rabbit hole of federal regulations about the need for an export license to send one out of the country. In reality no one cares about your suppressor other than the ATF and a few states(New Jersey) that ban them. So flying United Airlines through EWR has a chance to be problematic. In reality it’s really not if they’re just in your checked bag.

Thant’s my opinion for what it’s worth.

I’m glad that worked for you but please put it in your locked rifle or ammo case. If the wrong TSA person sees it they will flag the bag, require you to comeback to baggage security and place in a locked container. IF you have to buy another case at the point they don’t care. You will then have a report filed and could lose your Pre-check or other flight priority status.

How do I know this…because it happened to my wife while traveling to Alaska 2 years ago with a suppressor.

List it in your 4457
Place it in your rifle case.
Don’t fly through New Jersey or New York

HH

I have been twice with my suppressor, once thru Newark and once thru Atlanta with no issues. I will be going again this April thru Atlanta again and just to see what will happen I filled out the ATF import export form and mailed it last week, I was approved last year but a buddy was declined 3 times with no reason given just a red stamp "declined" so I will see what happens. last year the suppressor was not even noticed in my rifle case. just take a copy of your sales receipt and tax stamp just in case. I will post here about the outcome of the permit when I hear should be about a month like the last one.

We ended up just sending some money to our PH and had him buy us a few suppressors to keep in SA. For the few hundred dollars each it was worth it for piece of mind. As mentioned before, it only takes one stupid TSA agent to mess up your trip. Now when we go back they are just in our box along with our leftover ammo, etc.

Greetings BigKev15,

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishijg Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I’m afraid that I’m no help on your legality question for international transport of firearms specific sound suppressors / gun muffler / silencer, etc.
My best guess is only a guess ……
But I would bet a stack of pizzas that if you catch any flak over this, it is more likely the USA Government will be the grouchy ones and not so much the South African Government.
Someone already mentioned that suppressors are not heavily regulated in South Africa, like they are in the USA.

Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck on your plan to bring one or more of those from the USA to South Africa.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NelsonH822

Latest profile posts

LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia