Politics

Great schools, parents were both UCLA grads and my dad and uncle got their Phds from there as well. They were mad when I applied and got accepted to USC and did not consider UCLA at all.

Ended up going to Purdue instead as I couldn't get on campus housing at USC and at that time as a high school grad I did not know how to drive.
Sad thing is he made a 1480 on SAT, 34 on ACT, and GPA is about a 4.3 or so, loads of AP credits. But because he's not in the top 10% of his class, he can't get into UT or TAMU. U of H is probably going to be the best option for him - mechanical engineering. He'll likely get 80% or more scholarship to go there.

I work for a company with 10K+ employees, lots of engineering and robotics, including deep sea robotics. Nobody give a flying eff the name of the school on the diploma (except the TAMU weasels). ABET accredited? Check. Magna cum laude? Check. Nothing else matters much.

Engineering economics applies to school choice as much as it does to actual engineering work.

Im hoping its in the deer corn lol... Im buying north of 50 forty pound bags of that stuff every year! :)

Just to let you know, paid $7.75 per 50# bag. My two corn feeders each hold 3000 pounds. That's $465 to fill each. Currently, not filling them.

Sad thing is he made a 1480 on SAT, 34 on ACT, and GPA is about a 4.3 or so, loads of AP credits. But because he's not in the top 10% of his class, he can't get into UT or TAMU. U of H is probably going to be the best option for him - mechanical engineering. He'll likely get 80% or more scholarship to go there.

I work for a company with 10K+ employees, lots of engineering and robotics, including deep sea robotics. Nobody give a flying eff the name of the school on the diploma (except the TAMU weasels). ABET accredited? Check. Magna cum laude? Check. Nothing else matters much.

Engineering economics applies to school choice as much as it does to actual engineering work.

Yeah that 10% rule in Texas really sucks!

It benefits those that come from small schools and large ghetto schools.

UT & A&M are now top 8% and UT wants to move it to top 6%. I would suggest that he look at Texas Tech.

Just to let you know, paid $7.75 per 50# bag. My two corn feeders each hold 3000 pounds. That's $465 to fill each. Currently, not filling them.
We've been paying around $11 or $12 the last 2 or 3 years. I'll be happy to pay $7.75

UT & A&M are now top 8% and UT wants to move it to top 6%. I would suggest that he look at Texas Tech.
His HS is HIGHLY competitive, about 80 or 90% Asian student body. A year or 2 back, 5 students were admitted to Stanford. I think he's ranked around 65th out of 600.

I tried to convince him to go to Lamar HS near our house, rather than Clements near his dad's. He'd easily be top 1% at Lamar.

We've already talked to him about being a Red Raider. He doesn't think much of it.

Similar situation with our youngest…

4.6 GPA.. 24 AP credit hours… solid SAT… varsity athlete… etc etc… but graduated at the 12% mark in her class..

University of Arkansas practically begged her to come and offered multiple scholarships… while UT and TAMU barely noticed her..

So she now screams Woo-Pig Soooeee on weekends lol…

My next oldest is a junior at LSU… it made for an interesting Saturday as we were driving home from Idaho lol…

My daughter has a similar conundrum. A BA from UGA, and a JD from LSU.

His HS is HIGHLY competitive, about 80 or 90% Asian student body. A year or 2 back, 5 students were admitted to Stanford. I think he's ranked around 65th out of 600.

I tried to convince him to go to Lamar HS near our house, rather than Clements near his dad's. He'd easily be top 1% at Lamar.

We've already talked to him about being a Red Raider. He doesn't think much of it.
Lubbock is not that bad once you get used to the dust storms. My daughter loved it the first year, after that not so much. TABC leaves the college bars alone. Granted its not UT or A&M. Less distractions than Austin.

CA legislators even tried a wealth tax and also keep taxing people for a number of years after they leave CA. For example if someone came from out of state to study at USC, and then took a job at another state then CA would collect taxes on his income regardless of his current residency status.

Those measures barely failed, but might pass in the future.:rolleyes:
Aren't there some Interstate commerce laws that would prohibit the taxing of a non State citizen on out of state income????

Your college example would seem like a reason to go to school in another state unless a student is absolutely positive they will be living and employed in California upon graduation.

Seems like those measures would be self destruction.

The corn you eat is not the corn that animals eat or is used in ethanol production. So the record harvest that is driving those prices down may not be in the people corn.

Not sweet corn like corn on the cob or canned corn. But about 1-2% of field corn goes to direct human consumption. Such as tortillas, tomales, corn chips, etc. Then I think it's more like 3-4% goes to high fructose corn syrup (the really unhealthy sweetener in Coke or Pepsi, etc.), and then there is corn syrup, grits, whiskey, and other products that are made from field corn but leave behind by products such as corn gluten feed, hominy, distillers grains... most of which go to livestock feed.

The corn you eat is not the corn that animals eat or is used in ethanol production. So the record harvest that is driving those prices down may not be in the people corn.
Phil that corn is very much in the steaks, bacon, and eggs;)

Lubbock is not that bad once you get used to the dust storms. My daughter loved it the first year, after that not so much. TABC leaves the college bars alone. Granted its not UT or A&M. Less distractions than Austin.
Yeah but your still 5 hours into the middle of no where with the highest concentration of STD’s in the state.

I am so glad I don’t have to deal with college admissions anymore. I was glad when son went to Rice and daughter to Yale and I never had to fill another college form.

Now, all I worry about is the 529 accounts for the 4 grandkids. Make the maximum contribution each year per kid and eventually there should be enough there to cover 7 or more years of college and K-12 for the granddaughters in NYC. Boys in Erie, CO are cheap as they are going to public elementary school across from son’s house.

Did my civic duty today.
IMG_8830.jpeg

Deer corn, 40 or 50 pound bags ;) You guys crack me up. If you checked the price per bushel at a local grain elevator, corn is 56 pounds per bushel. You are paying a lot for the convenience of those bags!

I haven't added up how much corn equivalent we feed per day as it's a bit complicated by the various commodities such as distillers and corn gluten feed. For example 6 pounds of corn gluten feed is roughly equal to 4 pounds of ground corn and 2 pounds of soybean meal. Then there is corn silage which is our main feed ingredient.

I know about 2 or 3 years ago we looked closely at our feed consumption in Kansas because i wanted to justify whether or not we should build an enclosed feeding facility. We were feeding right at one million pounds of feed per day there (about half our cattle head count, but heavily on the younger and smaller side so way less than half the pounds of cattle, or feed consumption). We had 10% shrink, mostly wind loss. Needless to say, we built that feed mixing shed :) Put in electric mixers, etc.

Deer corn, 40 or 50 pound bags ;) You guys crack me up. If you checked the price per bushel at a local grain elevator, corn is 56 pounds per bushel. You are paying a lot for the convenience of those bags!

I haven't added up how much corn equivalent we feed per day as it's a bit complicated by the various commodities such as distillers and corn gluten feed. For example 6 pounds of corn gluten feed is roughly equal to 4 pounds of ground corn and 2 pounds of soybean meal. Then there is corn silage which is our main feed ingredient.

I know about 2 or 3 years ago we looked closely at our feed consumption in Kansas because i wanted to justify whether or not we should build an enclosed feeding facility. We were feeding right at one million pounds of feed per day there (about half our cattle head count, but heavily on the younger and smaller side so way less than half the pounds of cattle, or feed consumption). We had 10% shrink, mostly wind loss. Needless to say, we built that feed mixing shed :) Put in electric mixers, etc.
Oh I know well, grew up ag, have just been out of direct contact with that world for quite a while. More familiar with the history, for example all of the insanely stupid shit carter did to crater soy beans, wheat, etc.

youre doing better than I am... Academy has it for $8.99 for a 40# bag.. Cabelas and Bucc-ees has it for $9.99...

Each of my feeders only holds 300 lbs (Ive got 2 running at the moment.. but will have a 3rd blind and feeder running next season)...

I typically put 6x bags in them at a time.. fill them once a few weeks before season.. then fill them again at the end of season and let them run a little hot for a little while (supplement the deers diet during the winter).. then turn them down, but let them keep running through the spring and summer months (2 feeds a day, for about 3 seconds each) just to keep the deer coming around.. usually by early summer Ive got to fill them a 3rd time.. but that will last me until fall when I do the pre-season fill..

I may have to look into buying by the bushel like @ActionBob recommends... Just 3 years ago I could get deer corn all day long at just about any location for $5.99 or $6.99 a bag... then we hit a 50% price increase in a single year 2 years ago, and it hasnt gone back down since..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corey0123

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia