Politics

Took my driving test with an early 70’s Chevy truck 3 on the tree. Was for a “hardship license” at 15. The transmission linkage was worn out and would occasionally get hung up at the steering column. Happened with the trooper in the seat beside me. I popped the hood, hopped out and cleared the linkage , got back in and was ready to go, all while under a red light. Guess he figured I was good to go. Course I’d been driving 6 or 7 years by then.

The cynical side of me wants to draw one of two conclusions regarding Tabatabai:

1. The administration can't afford for Israel to strike Iran prior to the election and she was told to leak the information by a superior.

2. Israel knew the DOD had a leaker and used this information to flush her out publicly. With the Mosad's infiltration of Iran, they probably already knew who she was.

In reality neither of these is probably correct and she is simply an Iranian spy. It will be interesting to see if anything further comes of this. Early in a Biden administration or if Harris wins, she probably resigns and is safe from prosecution. If Trump wins she may rue the day she leaked the info.
I’m thinking it’s #1

The cynical side of me wants to draw one of two conclusions regarding Tabatabai:

1. The administration can't afford for Israel to strike Iran prior to the election and she was told to leak the information by a superior.
If it is this she'd be stupid to leak it without a "get out of jail free card". A classified written directive.

Looks like there is a pretty aggressive effort to identify the "leaker" of TS material on Israel to a pro-Tehran Telegram site. Based upon a previous incident, this woman should never have had a TS security clearance, much less the job she holds.

The previous incident.

Send her to Israel to answer for her crimes!

One of the most awesome things about this forum is the wide variety of people brought together here by this common interest.

For a break from current politics and college admissions..

In my World and especially at that time, it was nearly unimaginable that someone would leave high school without knowing how to drive or even without having a DL.

We had drivers ed taught in school during regular school hours. Took the written test right there in the classroom at the end of the course. They issued a drivers permit if you passed (majority did. Any who didn't were rescheduled to test again).. I remember being very upset because I fell for a trick question that i knew the answer to but it was written like a CA ballot initiative. So I had the blemish of one wrong. We were allowed 8 wrong and still pass.

Behind the wheel training before and after school and on Saturdays. Two students per car with an instructor. And talk about a different time, the instructor had a sawed off baseball bat he'd poke you with if you screwed up. It was my turn to ride in the back directly behind the driver, let's call him Jeff. Well Jeff was coming up to a stop sign on a back city street doing 30 and not slowing down. I glanced at the instructor who was scanning both ways, no cars coming. I braced up. Jeff flew past the stop sign and the instructor put his brake pedal to the floor. The car slid sideways through the intersection, tires screeching to a sudden halt. POW! Jeff got hit right in the head with the bat! ;)

Reality was us farm kids were mostly driving pickup trucks around the farm by the time we could sort of reach the foot pedals. My middle brother was short and would drive moms 1970 Chrysler New Yorker by looking over the dash but under the steering wheel. We had a pasture a mile down the road so a kid or two would get sent to check on the cattle water tank.. A deputy brought him and our sister home one day and told dad to buy them a Honda 3 Wheeler:)

I bought my first motorcycle at 9 and was driving on Township and County roads. Was on my 4th by the time i got out of High School. Bought my first pickup when I was 15. Got my driver's license on my 16th birthday;) Started making the 100 miles trip to the Twin Cities right after my 16th birthday hauling firewood and peddling it door to door in the more affluent neighborhoods. $250 to $300 per load. $20 for gas, $20 for a helper (between 14 -16 years old), $20 for food for all day for 2 of us. Cut and split wood in the winters Monday- Thursday, skip school at noon on Friday. Peddling a load per day Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Good work for a 16/17 year old October through February.

Never gave much thought to school, good place to socialize and grab lunch. :)

My experience was similar. I had been driving to the Co-Op from the time my feet could reach the pedals. My drivers test was a little anticlimactic.

Sounds a lot like my upbringing. Living on a farm we started driving by 5 or 6 years old peeking out through the spokes in the steering wheel. All stick shifts back then and no synchro gearbox so we had to learn double clutching. That was our driver's ed. Still do it today.
When I took my driving test for my license on my 16th birthday I had to borrow my aunt's car as it was a stick. Mandatory at that time. Our family car was auto and not allowed.
I really get a kick out of kids nowadays that think they are so hot but don't know how to drive sticks or double clutch. Best anti theft thing ever invented.
I need to find an old truck with 3 on the tree.

My experience was similar. I had been driving to the Co-Op from the time my feet could reach the pedals. My drivers test was a little anticlimactic.
I guess y'all are a little older than I am. First vehicle I put on the road was Pawpaw's Ford 2000 tractor, between the bean field and his house, maybe 4 or 5 miles. Put it in 4th, let off the clutch, pull down on the throttle. That's the only convertible I've ever driven in my life. Good times.

I must've been 9 or 10.

Early voting today in VA, opened to the larger local rec centers with today being the first day with later hours (doors closed at 7pm compared to 5pm yesterday). At 6pm tonight the line was probably over 200 to 300 yards long out the door. And it wasn't slowing down till about 6:45. Not sure what that says about this election but it was busy.

I need to find an old truck with 3 on the tree.

Just finishing the restoration of a ‘69 FJ 40 with 3 on the tree. Totally theft proof!

Just finishing the restoration of a ‘69 FJ 40 with 3 on the tree. Totally theft proof!
I'm pretty sure I couldn't even get my leg into one of those, let alone actually sit behind the wheel. Somedays it sorta sucks having a 38" inseam.

I'd be pretty tickled with a C10 or an F100.

I'm pretty sure I couldn't even get my leg into one of those, let alone actually sit behind the wheel. Somedays it sorta sucks having a 38" inseam.

I'd be pretty tickled with a C10 or an F100.

You mean this?

IMG_4023.JPG

A Defense of the Fudd: There is something sad about the recent changes in American firearms culture.

Op-ed by a Gen-Z journalist at The American Conservative
(a magazine founded by Pat Buchanan, devoted to isolationist / non-interventionist foreign policy)

“Fudds generally carry double-barrel, over-under, or pump-action shotguns. If they’re carrying a rifle, you’ll find them with a Winchester Model 70 or Remington Model 700. You won’t generally find them covered head-to-toe in camouflage.”

“A Fudd might own an AR-15 and some camo, but they would never brandish it; some might not even admit it.”

“If you ever come across a Fudd, you might hear them deride the new-coming gun owners as ‘tacticool.’”

“Second Amendment symbology, previously limited to a small NRA logo on the back of a pick-up with a gun rack, has expanded to include a collection of emblems, flags, and insignias. Punisher skulls … are a common sight at ranges across the United States.”

“tacticool bravado and associated no-compromise politics create unease among the Fudds.”

“Technologists, range enthusiasts, and activists are ascendant. Just as the F-series gives way to the Cybertruck, wood gives way to aluminum alloy. A time-honored ethos is being lost …”

To my friend and fellow AH reader Tim L..................sorry about your home in N. Carolina. Had hoped that FEMA would step in to help more. They didn't. But Sec Austin gave $400 million to Ukraine yesterday, and another $5 billion was given to Israel last night. (my, how that would have helped you folks) I guess an intervention in the Homeland was not important to the Biden-Harris regime. Stay strong. It's gonna get better...........FWB

A Defense of the Fudd: There is something sad about the recent changes in American firearms culture.

Op-ed by a Gen-Z journalist at The American Conservative
(a magazine founded by Pat Buchanan, devoted to isolationist / non-interventionist foreign policy)

“Fudds generally carry double-barrel, over-under, or pump-action shotguns. If they’re carrying a rifle, you’ll find them with a Winchester Model 70 or Remington Model 700. You won’t generally find them covered head-to-toe in camouflage.”

“A Fudd might own an AR-15 and some camo, but they would never brandish it; some might not even admit it.”

“If you ever come across a Fudd, you might hear them deride the new-coming gun owners as ‘tacticool.’”

“Second Amendment symbology, previously limited to a small NRA logo on the back of a pick-up with a gun rack, has expanded to include a collection of emblems, flags, and insignias. Punisher skulls … are a common sight at ranges across the United States.”

“tacticool bravado and associated no-compromise politics create unease among the Fudds.”

“Technologists, range enthusiasts, and activists are ascendant. Just as the F-series gives way to the Cybertruck, wood gives way to aluminum alloy. A time-honored ethos is being lost …”
What’s weird to me is his belief that the tacticool trend kicked off in 2020, it’s been building for a couple decades at least. He also doesn’t mention that the Fudd moniker carries political connotations. A Fudd doesn’t just prefer wood hunting guns, they are the classic “I support the 2A but…” crowd that will throw other gun owners under the bus in order to stave off threats to their own, more socially acceptable, firearms.

Waltz is the perfect example of a Fudd. Not because he likes hunting firearms (though I’m a little skeptical of even that after the pheasant fiasco) but because he would happily ban the firearms he has referred to as “weapons of war.”

What’s weird to me is his belief that the tacticool trend kicked off in 2020, it’s been building for a couple decades at least. He also doesn’t mention that the Fudd moniker carries political connotations. A Fudd doesn’t just prefer wood hunting guns, they are the classic “I support the 2A but…” crowd that will throw other gun owners under the bus in order to stave off threats to their own, more socially acceptable, firearms.

Waltz is the perfect example of a Fudd. Not because he likes hunting firearms (though I’m a little skeptical of even that after the pheasant fiasco) but because he would happily ban the firearms he has referred to as “weapons of war.”
And he even looks like Elmer Fudd……. “ Waskwe wabbit”!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tybnmert657

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia