Premium CRF rifles that don't cost as much as a house

I have Terry Wielands book also it is very informative and should lead you on the right path and if you ever email Terry He will get bavk to you as well. He will answer all your questions completely.

Circling back on this topic from last year, I’ve since bought a CZ550 in 416 Rigby and Merkel double in 470NE.

My Merkel hasn’t yet arrived and I’m already looking to add a fine bolt action rifle to pair it with. Again nothing in the London Best class but something ~$10,000-$15,000 range that’s a couple pegs above your standard CZ’s and Winchester’s.

Having now owned a 458 and about to add a 470, I don’t think I want to go larger bore than those for this choice, although the 50 Cals still call to me.

I’m debating between going with something mid bore (375, 416 or 423) that has factory ammo readily availible that won’t need to be a reloaders special.

Also considering buying this in something more sensible and non-magnum like 7x57, 8x57 etc that I would be able to shoot a whole lot more.

In the end I want it to be something special that stands out from everything else in my safe.

Leaning towards the pair of German offerings from Heym and Mauser but also open to Rigby, Dakota, PWA or anything else that presents itself.

The hunt continues.

Last edited:
Circling back on this topic from last year, I’ve since bought a CZ550 in 416 Rigby and Merkel double in 470NE.

My Merkel hasn’t yet arrived and I’m already looking to add a fine bolt action rifle to pair it with. Again nothing in the London Best class but something ~$10,000-$15,000 range that’s a couple pegs above your standard CZ’s and Winchester’s.

Having now owned a 458 and about to add a 470 I don’t think I want to go larger bore than those for this choice, although the 50cals still call to me.

I’m debating between going with something mid bore (375, 416 or 423) that has factory ammo readily availible that won’t need to be a reloaders special.

Also considering buying this in something more sensible and non-magnum like 7x57, 8x57 etc.

In the end I want it to be something special that stands out from everything else in my safe.

Leaning towards the pair of German offerings from Heym and Mauser but also open to Rigby, Dakota, PWA or anything else that presents itself.

The hunt continues.
.375 or .275 are the most logical. Screw logic. Go biiiiiig. A lot of great rifles out there in .375 H&H or .275/7x57 in your range.

I have a GMA 500 jeffery with dies and a lifetime supply of soft points that I would sell, if you are interested lmk, it would be in your price range.

Having now owned a 458 and about to add a 470 I don’t think I want to go larger bore than those for this choice, although the 50cals still call to me.

Also considering buying this in something more sensible and non-magnum like 7x57, 8x57 etc.

The hunt continues.
Slightly upscale would be the Rigby Big Game basic model at $19000. Same Mauser action but with a little more TLC.

.375 or .275 are the most logical. Screw logic. Go biiiiiig. A lot of great rifles out there in .375 H&H or .275/7x57 in your range.
Your recently post had me seriously considering a 450 Rigby but factory ammo is non-existent here and I’m still happy with my 458 WM.

416 Rigby is a serious contender since I already have a small stockpile of ammo for it.

Slightly upscale would be the Rigby Big Game basic model at $19000. Same Mauser action but with a little more TLC.
I’ve been comparing the Rigby Big Game to the Mauser M98 Magnum.

After conversion it still looks like the Rigby would cost 4-5k more.

The hunt continues.

You could own an exquisite, near best German made 8x57 CRF built between the wars for roughly the cost of a nice microwave.

Caliber matters for value, and some very good calibers command very low prices.

You could own an exquisite, near best German made 8x57 CRF built between the wars for roughly the cost of a nice microwave.

Caliber matters for value, and some very good calibers command very low prices.
I have an interwar 8mm Mauser built in Danzig.... Model A. Light and graceful.

In terms of caliber selection, I’m seeing the following:
Mauser 98 Standard - 7x57, 8x57, 308, 30.06, 9.3x62

Mauser 98 Magnum - 375HH, 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby

Heym Express - 375HH, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, 450 Rigby

Rigby Highland Stalker - 275 Rigby, 308, 30.06, 8x57, 9.3x62

Rigby Big Game - 350 Rigby, 375HH, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby

Parkwest Arms SD-76 - All the standard offerings above but also the 400HH and 450 Jeffery (??)

I highly recommend the Mauser Model 98 Diplomat in 7x57mm Mauser.
I’ve seen you consistently recommend the new Mausers throughout various threads.

I’m seriously considering one in either 7mm or 8mm Mauser or a Magnum in 416 Rigby.

In terms of caliber selection, I’m seeing the following:
Mauser 98 Standard - 7x57, 8x57, 308, 30.06, 9.3x62

Mauser 98 Magnum - 375HH, 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby

Heym Express - 375HH, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, 450 Rigby

Rigby Highland Stalker - 275 Rigby, 308, 30.06, 8x57, 9.3x62

Rigby Big Game - 350 Rigby, 375HH, 404 Jeffery, 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby

Parkwest Arms SD-76 - All the standard offerings above but also the 400HH and 450 Jeffery (??)

For the Dakota 76 / Parkwest 76, they top out at the 450 Rigby. They've had a few oddballs like the 450 Dakota, 450 Hoffman, 400G&H, 400HH, 400 Whelen, etc over the years too.

If you're contemplating spending north of $10k, the ones with the most holding power on their value are the Rigby Big Game rifles in 404/416/450, and the Parkwest SD-76 Travellers in 375HH/458 Lott.

If depreciation is of no concern to you, they are all very nice options you listed from a quality and reliability perspective.

For the Dakota 76 / Parkwest 76, they top out at the 450 Rigby. They've had a few oddballs like the 450 Dakota, 450 Hoffman, 400G&H, 400HH, 400 Whelen, etc over the years too.

If you're contemplating spending north of $10k, the ones with the most holding power on their value are the Rigby Big Game rifles in 404/416/450, and the Parkwest SD-76 Travellers in 375HH/458 Lott.

If depreciation is of no concern to you, they are all very nice options you listed from a quality and reliability perspective.
Not focusing on resale value as much as acquiring a fine rifle that I will hold onto and hunt with the rest of my life and one day be worthy of handing down to the kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeticiaLun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!