AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
Fished all around the Bay today for 30 plus striped bass. Most were schoolie sized fish, keepers, just small. Fun to catch on live bait. Fished Alcatraz (East and West), Angel island, Tiburon and Racoon Straights, Red Rock near the San Rafael Bridge and close to San Quentin prison.

Kept a few for fish tacos:

IMG_4238.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4224.jpeg

IMG_4230.jpeg

After all the half price hookers in Dubai threads today, I initially read this thread title as Strippers - SF Bay, and thought what the holy hell is going on here!?!?!) lol…

Looks like you had a great day on the water. Congrats!

I’ve got a business trip I’ve got to make to Panama in a couple of weeks… I’m taking a day off while there to chase peacock bass in the lake that the canal runs through… really looking forward to it…

After all the half price hookers in Dubai threads today, I initially read this thread title as Strippers - SF Bay, and thought what the holy hell is going on here!?!?!) lol…

I’ve got a business trip I’ve got to make to Panama in a couple of weeks… I’m taking a day off while there to chase peacock bass in the lake that the canal runs through… really looking forward to it…

+1 :E Rofl:

I did the same thing.

Which boat did you fish on? I’ve been chartering the New Huck Finn for about 30 years. We fished south of the Farralons last week for excellent rockfish & Lings. I haven’t fished bay stripers this late, we typically do that from May to end of August.

You had a good day!

Great results, for sure. Not an avid fisherman, but I have fished both SF Bay and Lake Gatun. And there is only one "P" in striper. I see that now. But enjoyed thread anyway.............FWB

Which boat did you fish on? I’ve been chartering the New Huck Finn for about 30 years. We fished south of the Farralons last week for excellent rockfish & Lings. I haven’t fished bay stripers this late, we typically do that from May to end of August.

You had a good day!

My boat is a private boat.

IMG_6112.jpeg

68582289776__CA95A5D7-16F1-4AE2-86C2-0A0427220228.jpeg

IMG_5213.jpeg

Lovely Martha has been catching Stripers all week:
IMG_4227.jpeg

New Huck Finn is great boat! Good job.

I’ve always wanted to catch peacock bass!
Good luck!

Fished all around the Bay today for 30 plus striped bass. Most were schoolie sized fish, keepers, just small. Fun to catch on live bait. Fished Alcatraz (East and West), Angel island, Tiburon and Racoon Straights, Red Rock near the San Rafael Bridge and close to San Quentin prison.

Kept a few for fish tacos:

View attachment 641603
View attachment 641604
View attachment 641605
View attachment 641606
@NIGHTHAWK - looks like time ‘well spent’, nice calm flat water, beautiful day. I’m not much of a fisherman but love stripper fishing and they are my favorite fish to catch and eat — I grew up fishing on the East coast for Atlantic stripers either off the beach or close to shore in a boat casting or trolling….sometimes also caught them in tidal rivers. GOOD DAYS CATCH for You !!

@NIGHTHAWK - looks like time ‘well spent’, nice calm flat water, beautiful day. I’m not much of a fisherman but love stripper fishing and they are my favorite fish to catch and eat — I grew up fishing on the East coast for Atlantic stripers either off the beach or close to shore in a boat casting or trolling….sometimes also caught them in tidal rivers. GOOD DAYS CATCH for You !!
Striped bass were introduced to California in 1879 when 132 young fish were transported from New Jersey by train and released into the San Francisco Bay estuary

Interesting how they were transplanted from NJ. Been many years but I caught them in the Susquehanna below the Conowingo Dam and under the bay bridge. Lures in the river and soft shelled crabs in the bay. This was back in the day before limits and some were in the 30-50 lb. size.

Striped Bass are the best fighting fish pound for pound in my experience. Albacore tuna pull hard too, but stripers are just strong and feisty. Love catching them. I grew up on the San Pablo bay and fished from the rocks as a kid. At nights in the summer, I’d walk down to the bay and fish with a lantern; depending on the tide. Hell, my mom probably never heard me come in at 3:00am… Good times and great memories… I had a skiff before I had my first car! :ROFLMAO:

Striped Bass are the best fighting fish pound for pound in my experience. Albacore tuna pull hard too, but stripers are just strong and feisty. Love catching them. I grew up on the San Pablo bay and fished from the rocks as a kid. At nights in the summer, I’d walk down to the bay and fish with a lantern; depending on the tide. Hell, my mom probably never heard me come in at 3:00am… Good times and great memories… I had a skiff before I had my first car!
@NIGHTHAWK - You fished nights with a “Lantern”? What are you 130 years old??

Practically. It was my grandpa’s old Coleman. I probably still have it…

Hunkered down in the rocks with the train going by 20’ away! I was dedicated 13 Year old fisherman. I would catch mudsuckers in the harbor, sell most of them to the bait shop or trade for pile worms, keep a couple, pack a bologna sandwich and a Coke and head out for the bay… I learned how to cast my old Penn Squidder pretty far!

Lantern was similar to this one.
1729516737632.jpeg

As recently as the eighties, and I am sure it is still done along the Louisiana coast somewhere, I would take a 14 ft boat out along the jetties of the ship channel at Cameron, Louisiana. I would head out around midnight and once anchored rig two coleman lanterns about three feet off the water on either side of the boat. Using a rubber tailed jig or spoon, I could fill two igloo ice chests with specks and a few reds by first light. Around a half dozen would go into a small cooler for the freezer and the remainder would be dropped off at a seafood retailer on the way home. Those nights were great fun (except when a crew boat came by too close) and seriously augmented a captain's meager salary.

Those are some awesome Lingcod. Caught my first from the rocks off Big Sur, while in at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey. Just getting to a position from which I could cast was an adventure in itself. :rolleyes:

Hunkered down in the rocks with the train going by 20’ away! I was dedicated 13 Year old fisherman. I would catch mudsuckers in the harbor, sell most of them to the bait shop or trade for pile worms, keep a couple, pack a bologna sandwich and a Coke and head out for the bay… I learned how to cast my old Penn Squidder pretty far!

View attachment 641698
@NIGHT

View attachment 641698
@NI

View attachment 641698
@NIGHTHAWK - The only other “Lantern” fisherman I knew of were Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer

As recently as the eighties, and I am sure it is still done along the Louisiana coast somewhere, I would take a 14 ft boat out along the jetties of the ship channel at Cameron, Louisiana. I would head out around midnight and once anchored rig two coleman lanterns about three feet off the water on either side of the boat. Using a rubber tailed jig or spoon, I could fill two igloo ice chests with specks and a few reds by first light. Around a half dozen would go into a small cooler for the freezer and the remainder would be dropped off at a seafood retailer on the way home. Those nights were great fun (except when a crew boat came by too close) and seriously augmented a captain's meager salary.

Those are some awesome Lingcod. Caught my first from the rocks off Big Sur, while in at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey. Just getting to a position from which I could cast was an adventure in itself. :rolleyes:

I spent some time fishing and hunting in the Atchafalaya basin out of Bayou Pigeon. I understand where you are coming from. We would also hoop net blue crabs near Morgan City…

@NIGHT

@NI

@NIGHTHAWK - The only other “Lantern” fisherman I knew of were Huck Finn & Tom Sawyer
I carried on the tradition later in life. In my 20’s, I had one rigged on my center console when we would night fish in the delta. This one was propane. Live bait fishing in the Delta sloughs for winter stripers at night was a lot of fun. If it works, it works!

Nice lingcod, love catching those down here in socal and Mexico waters. Those things are great eating. Just finished all my fish from my 10 day trip and need to get out there again next year.

My brother travels all over Europe for vacation. When he texts from museums or from a beach somewhere, I always ask him how the fishing or hunting is?! He laughs… Then reminds me he is with his wife! :LOL:

Probably why he loves our trips to PV Mexico. Private villa with a pool, cook, 50’ Sportfisher with crew, nothing but good times fishing, eating, drinking, and laughing… Not much sightseeing, except for a side trip to Sayulita for the afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Decongroup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia